First post. Building a FBM mattress. Latex over memory foam?
Aug 23, 2011 5:07 AM
First off, Thank you everyone for this awesome forum.  I has opened my eyes on mattress shopping.  I never thought building a custom mattress was possible. 

Stats: 28yo  6'4 175lbs  Always a side sleeper, and I prefer soft.   I sleep pretty well on almost anything once I get to sleep, probably because I'm young.  It does take me a while to fall asleep, but I think that is more of a mind-moving-a-mile-a-minute thing.  My location has cool nights all year.  Its the summer and every night is 55 degrees.  I am currently cold at night, but all I got is my inflatable bed, a sheet, and a blanket. 

I will be using FBM for my foam.  I am keeping it on a budget, under $1000. 

A 2 inch 20 ILD latex will be my top layer, thats set in stone for now.

My base will be the 5" HD36-R.  I thought about going all latex, but a 600 dollar latex base is not in the cards. 

My question is about a middle layer.  Some don't use one, but I think I need something between the firm base (which I've read countless times is required for good support) and topper. 

The two options from FBM is a 3LB or 4LB memory foam layer, or a 3ILD latex layer. 

Cost plays a factor, but also an interest of what latex over memory foam will feel like. 

Cost breakdown for option 1:  total cost: $555

2inch 20ILD latex topper: $180

2inch 32ILD latex midlayer: $190

5inch HD36-R poly base: $120

Terrycloth cover: $65

Option 2:  total cost: $450

2inch 20ILD latex topper: $180

Memory foam combo; 3" 4lb memory 5" HD36-R base and terry cloth: $270

*For research:   I picked 4lb memory because of this site:  http://www.absolutecomfortonsale.com/what-is-memory-foam.htm   Read up, good info for memory foams*

The memory foam option is significantly cheaper because memory foam is cheaper, and that mattress combo includes the 65 dollar terrycloth cover for 20 bucks. 

Thanks for reading this far.  Finally here comes my questions.   1) What would the latex topper on the memory foam feel like?   I tried searching, but there is no easy way to seach for 'latex topper, memory foam midlayer'.  I am not too concerened with the cost difference, as it is all much cheaper than retail stores, but a full wallet is a happy wallet.  

2) Does the benefit of latex expand past the topper?  Can somebody really tell the difference between a latex base and a poly base.  I know the poly base will wear faster, but its also a fifth of the price. 

3) Would the latex midlayer with an ILD of 32 be too firm for somebody who prefers soft and is a side sleeper?  This is one of my reasons of going with a memory foam midlayer.

Good grief I write too much when its late.  Thank you all for your time.  I really hope to get some responses.  If I get none, I will probably go with the cheaper memory foam route and if needed, expand from there.

Josh

Re: First post. Building a FBM mattress. Latex over memory foam?
Reply #1 Aug 23, 2011 9:45 PM
Welcome to the forum jjswee, you're either at 6,000 feet or living on the 49th parallel. If it's 55 degrees at night in the summer I'm afraid to ask what it is in the winter. 

The good news for you is there's no reason to fear the memory foam reaper, a little extra warmth might be a good thing.  I was hot for latex too (that sounds worse than it is) and recently purchased a FBM 3 inch "soft" topper (ILD 20 to 24) over that 5 inch HD36-R base and it's too firm.  I'm shorter and 40 lbs heavier than you so I should be sinking in just fine but wake up feeling slightly sore. I will add a softer (ILD 14) layer of latex to see if it helps.

A 3 inch layer of memory foam over that 5 inch HD36-R base (keep in mind they glue it together) will feel both softer and more supportive than 4 inches of medium/soft latex (FBM claims most people can't tell the difference between the 20 ILD and the 32 ILD.) The 4 lbs memory foam is a fine choice for softness and quick recovery time, however, I think the latex layer is a waste of money in this scenario.

The forum is full of people who mix latex and memory foam in a quest for that just right feel but your situation doesn't sound that complicated.  If you want to go the DIY latex route have a party but I think you have two different beds here.

This message was modified Aug 23, 2011 by SleepLikeADog
Reply #2 Aug 23, 2011 10:08 PM
I would stick with all latex and option 1 but go with a 28ILD, 3" mid-layer.  32ILD is too hard in my opinion to be only 2" from the top for a side sleeper with your weight and height.  Latex gives more support so I would go with all latex as far down as you can.  Memory foam is weak on support from my experience. 
This message was modified Aug 23, 2011 by Sall
Reply #3 Aug 23, 2011 10:56 PM
Thanks for the replies, as opposing as they are.  haha

Sleeplikeadog:  I live east of San Francisco on an island in the bay.    Every night it is around 55 degrees, and the days are 75 degrees.   In the winter the low is 45 degrees and the high is 55 degrees.    I'm not complaining.  :)  I never will use AC, and just a little heat in the winter. 

I was reading some of Phoenix's posts today and he mentioned another important factor to include is how different each body part sinks in from the rest.  My shoulders stick out much past my waist, so I should get something in which I sink in more.   Would that be the memory foam, or the latex 32ILD. 

Sall:  FBM doesn't have a 28ILD layer in three inch.  They only have a 29ILD in 6 inch, which is 571 dollars. 

This message was modified Aug 23, 2011 by jjswee
Reply #4 Aug 24, 2011 4:18 PM
I called foam by mail and the support guy said not to combine the memory foam and latex, because it will stop the latex topper from breathing. 

I will go with option 1 and see how it feels. 

Reply #5 Aug 31, 2011 1:12 AM
I'd love to hear what you think of it when you've had a few days with it.
Reply #6 Sep 6, 2011 1:47 PM
Me too...I am thinking about putting latex over a memory foam mattress. Maybe with a fabric layer in between to help with breathing. Would love some feedback!
This message was modified Sep 6, 2011 by rshibley
Reply #7 Sep 11, 2011 6:55 PM
I purchased the two latex toppers with the 36R base.  The toppers are surprisingly similar, it was hard to tell the difference.  I will make a new thread soon. 
Reply #8 Sep 13, 2011 7:35 AM
Josh,

Thinking of building a similar mattress. Do you think I would be ok with 2" of 36ILD latex on top of the 5" PU foam base?

It looks like you ordered 2 x 2" latex toppers. Think you could get away with one?

Reply #9 May 28, 2012 2:52 AM
Any word on how a latex topper on a memory foam mattress would feel?
Reply #10 Jul 14, 2012 12:03 AM
For longevity I would have went with the HD36-HQ base instead of the HD36-R.

Recent Posts