First post. Building a FBM mattress. Latex over memory foam?
Aug 23, 2011 5:07 AM
First off, Thank you everyone for this awesome forum.  I has opened my eyes on mattress shopping.  I never thought building a custom mattress was possible. 

Stats: 28yo  6'4 175lbs  Always a side sleeper, and I prefer soft.   I sleep pretty well on almost anything once I get to sleep, probably because I'm young.  It does take me a while to fall asleep, but I think that is more of a mind-moving-a-mile-a-minute thing.  My location has cool nights all year.  Its the summer and every night is 55 degrees.  I am currently cold at night, but all I got is my inflatable bed, a sheet, and a blanket. 

I will be using FBM for my foam.  I am keeping it on a budget, under $1000. 

A 2 inch 20 ILD latex will be my top layer, thats set in stone for now.

My base will be the 5" HD36-R.  I thought about going all latex, but a 600 dollar latex base is not in the cards. 

My question is about a middle layer.  Some don't use one, but I think I need something between the firm base (which I've read countless times is required for good support) and topper. 

The two options from FBM is a 3LB or 4LB memory foam layer, or a 3ILD latex layer. 

Cost plays a factor, but also an interest of what latex over memory foam will feel like. 

Cost breakdown for option 1:  total cost: $555

2inch 20ILD latex topper: $180

2inch 32ILD latex midlayer: $190

5inch HD36-R poly base: $120

Terrycloth cover: $65

Option 2:  total cost: $450

2inch 20ILD latex topper: $180

Memory foam combo; 3" 4lb memory 5" HD36-R base and terry cloth: $270

*For research:   I picked 4lb memory because of this site:  http://www.absolutecomfortonsale.com/what-is-memory-foam.htm   Read up, good info for memory foams*

The memory foam option is significantly cheaper because memory foam is cheaper, and that mattress combo includes the 65 dollar terrycloth cover for 20 bucks. 

Thanks for reading this far.  Finally here comes my questions.   1) What would the latex topper on the memory foam feel like?   I tried searching, but there is no easy way to seach for 'latex topper, memory foam midlayer'.  I am not too concerened with the cost difference, as it is all much cheaper than retail stores, but a full wallet is a happy wallet.  

2) Does the benefit of latex expand past the topper?  Can somebody really tell the difference between a latex base and a poly base.  I know the poly base will wear faster, but its also a fifth of the price. 

3) Would the latex midlayer with an ILD of 32 be too firm for somebody who prefers soft and is a side sleeper?  This is one of my reasons of going with a memory foam midlayer.

Good grief I write too much when its late.  Thank you all for your time.  I really hope to get some responses.  If I get none, I will probably go with the cheaper memory foam route and if needed, expand from there.

Josh

Recent Posts