DIY - reproduce a Pure Latex Bliss?
Apr 20, 2011 12:48 PM
I'm looking for the best source for a 100% talalay latex mattress and thanks to this forum came across many options. The only beds Ive found locally to lie on are pure latex bliss, so Im hoping to find something comparable online for a better price.

The two best options I've found (price-wise) are mattresses.net and myluxurymattress.com. I was suprised by the return policy of myluxurymattress.com - 120 days and they pay shipping both for delivery and return. That is far more generous than anyone else Ive come across, but I havent found much discussion of them here (That may sound like spam, but Im wondering if theres a catch or if there are other sources with a similar return policy) - has anyone dealt with them?

I'm sold on latex and my wife liked the feel of the Pure Latex Bliss Nutrition model - from what Ive found that construction is:

• 2" 19 ild top
  • 2" 28 ild middle
  • 6" 36 ild support

all the above are talalay blend.

I thought the mattresses.net Queen Adjustable Ultra Plush Latex Sleep System for $1095 would give me something comparable for about 1/2 the price.

Also the Aristocrat queen from myluxurymattress.com is $1400.

• 3" comfort @ 24 ild
  • 6" support @ 32 or 40

I see getting it right can be difficult especially without trying it first  - in fact I cant believe Im even considering buyng a matress I havent seen and tried first, so the return/exchange situation is important to me. Dont want to rack up shipping fees on exchanging layers. So Im lookng for feedback on others experiences with the process and specifically with those online retailers.

This message was modified Apr 20, 2011 by proof1st
Re: DIY - reproduce a Pure Latex Bliss?
Reply #1 Jun 11, 2011 4:42 PM
did you buy anything? I just purchased the Pure Bliss Latex, will get it in 5 days and let you know how it goes.
Reply #2 Jun 11, 2011 9:31 PM
I havent bought anything yet - waiting on delivery of my bed frame in a few weeks. I intend to go the DIY route so I can exchange layers and have different comfort layers on each side of the bed. But I am using the pure latex bliss as my model - from what I've seen, those mattresses are good with quality latex inside. I'm trying to find a cover like they use, but havent found out what the materials are. Do you happen to know?
Reply #3 Jun 14, 2011 12:57 AM
Proof1st:

This is what i found:

Pure LatexBLISS uses 450-480 Gram Weight fabric on their beds. It is the heaviest gram weight, highest quality and most expensive fabric used across an entire line in the industry.

The fabric is made from the following:

43-46% Viscose (depending on the mattress model) which is 50% Natural. Viscose is made from viscous organic liquid. It is manufactured by dissolving pulp from wood, hemp or cotton fibers. Most would say that the cover is 21-23% Natural if you were comparing it to other fabrics. The Viscose is what makes the fabric so incredibly soft to the touch.

1-2% Spandex or Elastan (depending on mattress model.) The Spandex is what gives the fabric the ability to stretch so amazingly.

52-56% Rayon (A man made fiber generated from natural cellulose derived from wood pulp

Reply #4 Jun 14, 2011 12:20 PM
Thanks, great info!

I'll have to see if there is anyplace I can pick up a similar cover for a DIY...

Reply #5 Sep 14, 2011 9:43 AM
Any idea why PLB uses the 1" of base foam on the bottom? I'm looking to do a DIY PLB mattress and wonder why they add the 1" of base foam on the bottom.
Reply #6 Sep 14, 2011 8:13 PM
tyeske wrote:

Any idea why PLB uses the 1" of base foam on the bottom? I'm looking to do a DIY PLB mattress and wonder why they add the 1" of base foam on the bottom.

I started looking at PLB as a potential mattress about two weeks ago and did not hear about the 1" foam base until two days ago.  I started getting really upset because the sales guy I talked to AND the customer care representive I e-mailed from the company told me they were 100% latex with no foam, period, and I had another experience where sales person lied to me.  So I did some more research and it turns out that as of Sept 1st, all of their mattresses except for the Peace no longer have the foam base.  I started looking right after they implented the change which is why no one mentioned it to me I guess.  I don't know why they put the foam in there to begin with, but it seems like the wisened up.  If you are looking to buy one and not having the foam is important to you,  I would make sure you double check that the mattress store is not pulling from any backstock they might have and is ordering a newly made one from the manufactuer.

Reply #7 Sep 16, 2011 5:27 PM
tyeske wrote:

for what its worth, the reason they originally gave is to facilitate moving the latex around in the factory, since the latex is harder to slide around and move.

Reply #8 Oct 11, 2011 1:48 PM
mechanty wrote:

I started looking at PLB as a potential mattress about two weeks ago and did not hear about the 1" foam base until two days ago.  I started getting really upset because the sales guy I talked to AND the customer care representive I e-mailed from the company told me they were 100% latex with no foam, period, and I had another experience where sales person lied to me.  So I did some more research and it turns out that as of Sept 1st, all of their mattresses except for the Peace no longer have the foam base.  I started looking right after they implented the change which is why no one mentioned it to me I guess.  I don't know why they put the foam in there to begin with, but it seems like the wisened up.  If you are looking to buy one and not having the foam is important to you,  I would make sure you double check that the mattress store is not pulling from any backstock they might have and is ordering a newly made one from the manufactuer.

I have my PLB Nutrition mattress delivered over a week ago. I unzipped the bag to look at the latex inside. there are 11" of foam all together, the bottom 1" looks like latex, feels like latex, I think IT IS latex! I am really surprised, I was expecting 1" PU foam.  The bottom 1" latex is soft, it's not dense like the 6" harder core.  The mattress label says the matress is consisting of 100% talalay latex rubber.  Hope this information helps.

I am not sure what purpose does this 1" soft latex serve at the bottom.

Recent Posts