Costco Spalena Sheet sets
Oct 31, 2009 6:24 PM
About a year ago, Costco opened a new store here in Houston. As is their practice, they had a lot of "road show" items for the first couple of months. Among these items were Spalena sheet sets, which are Chinese, imported by Comphy Co. and rebadged. They are microfiber, but not like the cheap microfiber sold at places like Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

At any rate, based on Costco's generous return policy, we purchased a king set, and fell in love with them. They DO NOT sleep hot and are unbelievably comfortable. It turns out these sheets are used at many upscale hotels, bed and breakfasts, and at spas as massage table linens.

By the time we decided we wanted additional sets, the road show was gone and we were forced to make our additional purchase (2 more sets) from the importer.

Well, Costco is now selling these sheet sets online and I just wanted to tell everyone how great they are.

There is online info (do a google search for Comphy Co sheets)

Philip
Re: Costco Spalena Sheet sets
Reply #15 Jun 2, 2010 6:34 PM
Black, 

If you are asking if these sheets are like flannel (heavily brushed), then the answer is no. 

We live in Houston.  You probably are aware of our summer temperatures, but we also get pretty cold during our winters, as well.  We don't have winter/summer sheets, but use these spalena sheets year round.  We do, however, keep our thermostat set at a comfortable level throughout the year. 

We were recently back at Costco, and walked into another spalena road show.  We purchased a king 'blanket', so I can at least describe it to you.  For starters, we got a blue/green color that is totally different from the green sheet set that we own.  At the time, we didn't realize the color difference, but it does go well with our cream and brown sets, and is not totally awful with our green set.  It is basically two sheets with a one and one half inch quilted square pattern throughout.  There appears to be the tiniest amount of fill between the sheets, although the amount of fill is so small as to be a non issue.  The stitches are uniform throughout, and a matching edging goes completely around.  Overall, it is a well made item.  As to how hot it sleeps, it is certainly warmer than a single sheet, but I would not expect it to keep us comfortable during a proverbial "three dog night". 

I really wish I could give you a better answer, but it comes down to where you live, how much money you give to your electrical provider, and, of course, your personal tastes..... but, don't forget Costco's great return policy, should you not be satisfied. 

Philip

This message was modified Jun 2, 2010 by Philip
Reply #16 Jun 2, 2010 7:50 PM
Philip,

Thanks for the update, that is what I needed to know.  Any special prices at the Costco events?

Costco events for these will be in the folloing areas in June.

Kansas  June 11-20  Overland Park

Texas   June 18-27  Willowbrook

Reply #17 Jun 3, 2010 1:14 AM
Ouch
budgy wrote:

how much smaller? 

even duvet covers custom made for down duvets are made intentionally a couple inches smaller on the length to make it work better. 

8 inches. The comforter is 108 x 98. I believe the duvet is 108 x 90.

I bought a Wamsutta 500TC damask duvet from BBB, which looks and feels great.

I also bought the Charisma 6pc 400TC sheet set from Costco, which is so much softer than the TC would lead one to expect.

Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding very nice, but reasonably-priced TwinXL bottom sheets for our split king. For now, we're using a couple of Wamsutta 360TC fitted sheets from BBB. They are acceptable, and I am happy to use them as backups for laundry day or pet messes. But, I'd like to find something at least as nice as the Charisma top sheet and pillowcases, or the Wamsutta 500TC duvet and shams, without breaking the bank. 

This message was modified Jun 3, 2010 by garypen
Reply #18 Jun 3, 2010 10:07 PM
I recently purchased the LinenSpa Deep Pocket 600-Thread-Count Egyptian Cotton Bed Sheet  (Split King) Set from Amazon.  These were $65 a set and very nice.  Too bad this was only for white.
Reply #19 Jun 4, 2010 1:34 AM
Ouch
Ah. Therein lies the rub. The few reasonably-priced TwinXL or Split King sets/sheets I have seen are white or off-white. No can do. Gotta be something in the light-to-medium green family.
Reply #20 Jun 4, 2010 1:56 AM
Hey Gary,

sorry i didn't reply earlier... looks like that duvet/cover sizing is actually off quite a bit..usually you want the comforter to be about 2 or 3 inches bigger on the lenth....8 inches is way overkill.

Reply #21 Jun 21, 2010 12:16 AM
The Costco store at Willowbrook is having a Roadshow now until June 27, 2010. There is a great selection of merchandise available and the sales staff is quite knowledgeable.

The Spalena sheets are the best sheets I have ever purchased. My girlfriend introduced me to then over a year ago and i'm totally hooked. Do yourselves a favor and treat yourself to the finest in luxury linens. If you miss the Roadshow, order online from Costco.com.

Reply #22 Mar 28, 2011 3:20 PM
Anyone know when the Road Show might be in the North East?
Reply #23 Nov 25, 2011 2:39 PM
The road shows at COSTCO have been discontinued. They are now available online only at www.spasheets.com.

They are awesome!

Reply #24 Nov 26, 2011 1:36 PM
I own a set of the Queen Spalena sheets from Comphy... and aboslutely LOVE them. Have had them for about 2 years and no visible or tactile differences that I can tell except way soft, way comfortable and I use them year round here in the NorthWest with windows open 10 months out of the year (cold and warm climate).

Recent Posts