can someone help me narrow my mattress choices? Kingsdown, Comforpedic, or Simmons Beautyrest
Feb 17, 2008 1:12 PM
I know these mattresses are kind of all over the place.  Initially I discarded the idea of a foam mattress such as temperpedic or comforpedic but we are revisiting the idea. 

The analysis I received put as at the #2 for the bodysystem style of the Kingsdown.  This is about 2700 for a King size.  The Beautyrest also seemed comfortable and offered the least expensive option but I am concerned about the pillow top factor (deterioration).  Moving onto the comforpedic which I was attracted to over the temperpedic because I am concerned about getting hot in the summer time.  Those mattresses I found the most difficult to evaluate as a sleeper.  Sure it felt good while I was laying on it.  How will that translate into 8 hours every night?  I also had a really tough time figuring out which one would be suitable for me.....going by the 'get what you pay for' the top of the line Comforpedic was 4000, out of our price range and possibly not even necessary for us.

So I was hoping if I tell you a bit about our body types if you could direct me towards which level of the comforpedic we should need, if we decide that route.  Husband and I are both 5'10" and I am in the 135-140range and he is around 165.  Since my pregnancy (baby is now 9mo) I have aquired lower back pain and I have been unable to return to stomach sleeping in that time.  DH also has lower back pain but his is sciatic, mine I don't think is related to sciatic since I don't have any of the leg pain associated with the lower back pain.

We have made the mistake in the past of an overly firm mattress (S&F) that is now overly sagging and way past the point of uncomfortable.

I want to keep close to 2500, this should afford us a nice supportive mattress I would think.  I am not interested in doing mail order build my own foam mattress.

Do you have input as to what specifically we should be looking for as far as layers in the comforpedic brand, or input on the mysterious kingsdown body system?  Is it a mistake to go with a traditional inner spring type of mattress?
Re: can someone help me narrow my mattress choices? Kingsdown, Comforpedic, or Simmons Beautyrest
Reply #1 Feb 17, 2008 7:08 PM
"Is it a mistake to go with a traditional inner spring type of mattress?"
No. But it's a mistake to go with your mentioned alternatives. Suggest you spend an hour reading the various threads here.
Re: can someone help me narrow my mattress choices? Kingsdown, Comforpedic, or Simmons Beautyrest
Reply #2 Feb 17, 2008 9:11 PM
I can't give you an answer because I - like many of us here on this forum - have given up on most of the innerspring mattress manufacturers.

They put horrible cheap foam in them which breaks down very quickly and you end up with a mattress that hurts your back in a relatively short time.

See the thread on dissecting the sealy for some links to what they put inside mattresses these days.

There are probably some good innerspring manufacturers out there, but you'll have to look for them. the "Big S" mattresses are mostly junk, imho.

Whatever you do won't buy a pillowtop mattress. Get a mattress with the best quality springs and as little and as high quality padding on top of the springs as you can get. Then go out and buy a couple latex and tempurpedic toppers *no more than 3/4" to 1" each) and try that on top of your own mattress. In other words start with a super firm mattress even if you don't like a super firm mattress, then put your own high quality toppers on top.

This is becasue the mattress manufacturers do what I am suggesting you do for yourself - the difference being that they build it into the mattress so once it wears out there is little you can do aside from cutting open the mattress; and because they put cheap crappy non-supportive foam inside which will break down fast and hurt your back.

Hope this helps.

Reply #3 Feb 17, 2008 9:28 PM
I second the above opinion. Get something with decent springs (you really don't have to spend thousands) and build your own topper. Then if it wears out or your body changes so that you want something either firmer or softer, you can just get a new topper.

The foam used in pillowtops is cheap crap (even in supposedly "high end" mattresses), and once it breaks down, you are stuck. Mattress warranties are completely useless as they require a VISIBLE indent of 2 inches before they will even consider your case. If you are still sleeping on the thing by then, you will be crippled. And if you have any stains, scuffs, or dirt marks at all, it voids the warranty.

With toppers you can tweak them until you get it just right. A lot of mattresses feel good when you lay on them for 15 minutes, but after eight hours it's a whole different story. Whatever you do, make sure you can get a comfort exchange or, better still, your money back if you wake up in the morning loathing the thing.
Reply #4 Feb 17, 2008 9:35 PM
thanks.  When you all suggest something with good springs, do you mean to avoid the "Big S" brands?  What are some brands you would recommend?  Why is Kingsdown a mistake specifically?  I searched for toppers on this board but there are just too many posts to go through.  Where to start with good brands of toppers?  Why are the build-your-own foam beds so much better than the temperpedic or comforpedic?
Reply #5 Feb 17, 2008 11:11 PM
LPAD wrote:
I searched for toppers on this board but there are just too many posts to go through.

Others may not agree that their time is less valuable than your own . . don't be so lazy!

Reply #6 Feb 18, 2008 8:18 AM
"Others may not agree that their time is less valuable than your own . . don't be so lazy!"

Absolutely. If you can't be bothered to take the time to do your own research now (based on the posts/information on this forum) and then draw your own conclusions, just go buy a Kingsdown, S-Brand, or "Whatever-pedic". Then come back in a year or two when you're out $$$, and your mattress has failed to work out, and do the research then.
Reply #7 Feb 18, 2008 11:19 AM
that is so lovely of you.  Nice to know this is a board full of members who enjoy sharing their knowledge with others. 
Reply #8 Feb 18, 2008 11:23 AM

in the time it took you to write a less than helpful post you could have typed 2-3 brands of toppers that I could have then done a more detailed search on (happily I might add to do my own research).  I was just asking for a good starting point.  Thanks again.

sager66 wrote:
Others may not agree that their time is less valuable than your own . . don't be so lazy!

Reply #9 Feb 18, 2008 12:17 PM
"Nice to know this is a board full of members who enjoy sharing their knowledge with others."

If you actually took the time to read posts from this forum, you would realize that is a very true statement (and not a facetious one)..
Reply #10 Feb 18, 2008 1:22 PM
i have spent more time perusing this board than you give me credit for.  And yes, I can definitely identify some members who seem more than willing to share their knowlege.  I do think it's a shame that as a new member I was received with a kind of negative attitude.  Instead of perceiving me as an overwhelmed prospective buyer looking for some solid direction, you perceived me a lazy consumer unwilling to do any research.  A poor, and unkind, assumption to make.

Recent Posts