can someone help me narrow my mattress choices? Kingsdown, Comforpedic, or Simmons Beautyrest
Feb 17, 2008 1:12 PM
I know these mattresses are kind of all over the place.  Initially I discarded the idea of a foam mattress such as temperpedic or comforpedic but we are revisiting the idea. 

The analysis I received put as at the #2 for the bodysystem style of the Kingsdown.  This is about 2700 for a King size.  The Beautyrest also seemed comfortable and offered the least expensive option but I am concerned about the pillow top factor (deterioration).  Moving onto the comforpedic which I was attracted to over the temperpedic because I am concerned about getting hot in the summer time.  Those mattresses I found the most difficult to evaluate as a sleeper.  Sure it felt good while I was laying on it.  How will that translate into 8 hours every night?  I also had a really tough time figuring out which one would be suitable for me.....going by the 'get what you pay for' the top of the line Comforpedic was 4000, out of our price range and possibly not even necessary for us.

So I was hoping if I tell you a bit about our body types if you could direct me towards which level of the comforpedic we should need, if we decide that route.  Husband and I are both 5'10" and I am in the 135-140range and he is around 165.  Since my pregnancy (baby is now 9mo) I have aquired lower back pain and I have been unable to return to stomach sleeping in that time.  DH also has lower back pain but his is sciatic, mine I don't think is related to sciatic since I don't have any of the leg pain associated with the lower back pain.

We have made the mistake in the past of an overly firm mattress (S&F) that is now overly sagging and way past the point of uncomfortable.

I want to keep close to 2500, this should afford us a nice supportive mattress I would think.  I am not interested in doing mail order build my own foam mattress.

Do you have input as to what specifically we should be looking for as far as layers in the comforpedic brand, or input on the mysterious kingsdown body system?  Is it a mistake to go with a traditional inner spring type of mattress?

Recent Posts