can someone help me narrow my mattress choices? Kingsdown, Comforpedic, or Simmons Beautyrest
Feb 17, 2008 1:12 PM
I know these mattresses are kind of all over the place.  Initially I discarded the idea of a foam mattress such as temperpedic or comforpedic but we are revisiting the idea. 

The analysis I received put as at the #2 for the bodysystem style of the Kingsdown.  This is about 2700 for a King size.  The Beautyrest also seemed comfortable and offered the least expensive option but I am concerned about the pillow top factor (deterioration).  Moving onto the comforpedic which I was attracted to over the temperpedic because I am concerned about getting hot in the summer time.  Those mattresses I found the most difficult to evaluate as a sleeper.  Sure it felt good while I was laying on it.  How will that translate into 8 hours every night?  I also had a really tough time figuring out which one would be suitable for me.....going by the 'get what you pay for' the top of the line Comforpedic was 4000, out of our price range and possibly not even necessary for us.

So I was hoping if I tell you a bit about our body types if you could direct me towards which level of the comforpedic we should need, if we decide that route.  Husband and I are both 5'10" and I am in the 135-140range and he is around 165.  Since my pregnancy (baby is now 9mo) I have aquired lower back pain and I have been unable to return to stomach sleeping in that time.  DH also has lower back pain but his is sciatic, mine I don't think is related to sciatic since I don't have any of the leg pain associated with the lower back pain.

We have made the mistake in the past of an overly firm mattress (S&F) that is now overly sagging and way past the point of uncomfortable.

I want to keep close to 2500, this should afford us a nice supportive mattress I would think.  I am not interested in doing mail order build my own foam mattress.

Do you have input as to what specifically we should be looking for as far as layers in the comforpedic brand, or input on the mysterious kingsdown body system?  Is it a mistake to go with a traditional inner spring type of mattress?
Re: can someone help me narrow my mattress choices? Kingsdown, Comforpedic, or Simmons Beautyrest
Reply #14 Feb 18, 2008 11:11 PM
We looked at the S&F Oasis line too. It is pretty much the same as the Sealy SpringFree line. S&F is Sealy's high end brand. The latex in both is Sealy's newish all synthetic Talalay latex that doesn't have a lot of track record. The Oasis/SpringFree mattresses use the same basic latex core with different amounts of "stuff" on top of them. If you liked that mattress, chances are that you would like the FloBeds (or similar) mattress. The beauty of kit beds is that you can choose your firmness, customize each side, etc, And they don't use Fire Retardant chemicals which some people feel might be carcinogenic.

In a way, a kit bed is easier to deal with than a big traditional mattress - especially a heavy latex mattress. It is in smaller, manageable pieces. Getting the first layer in can be a little tricky but once that's in the mattress cover, it is really easy. The split half layers are much easier to handle and a lot more convenient for tweaking. The FloBeds mattress cover is a nice, flexilble cotton knit with wool batting. Choosing the right cover is almost as important as choosing the right latex firmness.

It does take a lot of time to decide what mattress to get - but it's better to do the research before you buy something that you might not like.

A bit off topic but - you and your husband might want to get a referral to a good chiropractor for low back pain. Even doctors that don't normally believe in chiropractors will acknowledge that they offer a lot for people with low back problems - especially sciatica. I had horrible sciatica when I was pregnant. Seeing a chiropractor probably prevented me from having a c-section.

Good luck!
Re: can someone help me narrow my mattress choices? Kingsdown, Comforpedic, or Simmons Beautyrest
Reply #15 Feb 18, 2008 11:46 PM
Mattressmom, I can vouch for the FloBed zippered cover that is confirming and is a wonderful sturdy and comfortable mattress cover that not only feels good but looks good.  I also like how I can move the latex pieces around and get a new comfort level since my car accident changed what feels good on my back.  I am glad I went with the FloBed Latex kit and their wonderful customer service.
Reply #16 Feb 19, 2008 8:08 AM
"Even doctors that don't normally believe in chiropractors will acknowledge that they offer a lot for people with low back problems..."

Let's keep chiros completely out of this forum. I'm sure there are some good ones out there who have helped people with lower back pain (and other issues), but hanging lizard tails from your baseball cap worn backwards sometimes works too. :)
Reply #17 Feb 19, 2008 10:23 AM
"thanks. When you all suggest something with good springs, do you mean to avoid the "Big S" brands? What are some brands you would recommend? Why is Kingsdown a mistake specifically? I searched for toppers on this board but there are just too many posts to go through. Where to start with good brands of toppers? Why are the build-your-own foam beds so much better than the temperpedic or comforpedic?"

LPAD. The above, and specifically "...there are just too many posts to go through. Where to start with good brands of toppers," is what set a couple of us off. Please reread your post and realize how much information was requested. Also realize that everything has been addressed here in the past month or so, and it takes a lot longer to thoughtfully write a book than to read a book. And in the end, only you know what you really are looking for. Also realize that there really aren't any "brands of toppers'" to be recommended. If you spend an hour or two reading back posts in general (not necessarily on the subject of toppers) you will realize the open-ended nature of the requests. You need a better idea of what you want to give the board a better idea of what you want.
Reply #18 Feb 19, 2008 11:10 AM
mccldwll wrote:
&quot;Even doctors that don't normally believe in chiropractors will acknowledge that they offer a lot for people with low back problems...&quot;<BR><BR>Let's keep chiros completely out of this forum. I'm sure there are some good ones out there who have helped people with lower back pain (and other issues), but hanging lizard tails from your baseball cap worn backwards sometimes works too. :)

You really do enjoy your role as the forum curmudgeon, don't you? I'm guessing you've never been pregnant OR had intractable, excruciating sciatica - and certainly not at the same time. I'm just saying..... There are chiros and there are chiros. LBP is one of the things they have a good reputation for.

My bigger point is that I think some of the back problems described on this forum need more than the perfect mattress. I think some people might need to exercise, use the right pillow or combination of pillows, see a physical therapist, etc., etc. I'm not sure that the quest for the perfect mattress is the ultimate solution to everyone's back problems. OTH, I think some people would be happy enough on a wide variety of mattresses.
Reply #19 Feb 19, 2008 3:58 PM
i guess the problem for me was when I performed the search function there were too many *irrelevant* posts that came back.  Not to be a newbie and start off complaining about the search function.  However, I was able to more easily just read through the posts by page, after all there are only 6 pages of posts in the last 6 months......

Anyways, I think I have found the direction I want to go in, and that is latex.  I really like what savvy rest had to offer but I *believe* I can get something very similar in the S/F Oasis or Sealy Springfree (and for a lower price).  While they are not adjustable post purchase, they do offer several levels of firm to plush choice, and I think I will be able to find one that we both can be happy on.  I believe that I am one of the people who can probably be comfortable on many different mattresses.  After all, my current S/F did last for a good 5 yrs, and that is pretty ok with me.  I am definitely going to be aware before my purchase of what is the return policy, restocking fees, etc. 
Reply #20 Feb 19, 2008 4:20 PM
Hi mattressmom,

I'm one who appreciates any suggestions I can get regarding how to alleviate back pain. I've never been to a chiropractor and now that our insurance covers them (certain ones, though), I would like to see if this might be what I need. Sure, this is a mattress forum...but since many of us suffer from chronic back pain, I see nothing wrong with recommending what works for YOU. I personally welcome advice like this. I agree that the perfect mattress may not exist for someone who continues to be plagued by chronic lower back problems.

mattressmom wrote:
You really do enjoy your role as the forum curmudgeon, don't you? I'm guessing you've never been pregnant OR had intractable, excruciating sciatica - and certainly not at the same time. I'm just saying..... There are chiros and there are chiros. LBP is one of the things they have a good reputation for.<BR><BR>My bigger point is that I think some of the back problems described on this forum need more than the perfect mattress. I think some people might need to exercise, use the right pillow or combination of pillows, see a physical therapist, etc., etc. I'm not sure that the quest for the perfect mattress is the ultimate solution to everyone's back problems. OTH, I think some people would be happy enough on a wide variety of mattresses.
Reply #21 Feb 19, 2008 8:18 PM
"I'm guessing you've never been pregnant. "

True. And physiologically impossible. But women are built to handle pain. Suffer, sometimes quietly. Men aren't.
However, I have had lower back pain issues off and on for years from sports, at times nearly debilitating. The few chiros I tried were far more interested in insurance, and how many treatments per week that could be covered, than in curing the condition. I'm not saying all are like that, but I wouldn't go to one again. I did have great success with a couple of osteopaths (also spinal manipulation, but also training equal to MDs) at different times, and on each occasion left office with relief after one manipulation, with no more suggested or required. What really helped was Bob Anderson's book "Stretching", recommended by an osteopath together with some specific exercises for strengthening abdominal muscles.
Reply #22 May 21, 2008 8:38 PM
We are not a store.  We have a brand new king size comforpedic that was in a microbial bag standing in our bedroom.  This is the high end one over $4000.  We don' t have the room for it and can' t return it- very upsetting.  It was slept on by me and my wife for about 2 weeks.  Originally bought from sleepys in NJ in FEB.  If you or anyone is interested please call us at home 201 712-1040 or email me at   mtrawinski@verizon.net .   We are willing to take off $1000 and sell for around $3000 for this barely used Comforpedic.  It is in absolutely brand new condition.  The only thing we would have to work out if someone is interested is shipping unless you have a truck or are near the Bergen county area in NJ  we might be able to help truck it to you.   All original paperwork is sitting in our bedroom next to the mattress waiting to go.  Please call or email if you want more details.  Pictures could be sent etc.  It' s model is still on the floor.

Mtrawinski@verizon.net

201 712-1040

Reply #23 Aug 3, 2008 1:18 AM
sager66 wrote:
Others may not agree that their time is less valuable than your own . . don't be so lazy!

Who died and left you in charge? It's a mattress forum, you must be pathetic in real life if all you can do here is blast anyone who asks a question.

Recent Posts