Budgy - Can't find your thread re pocket coils made the right way
May 25, 2011 3:15 PM
Budgy, if I am not mistaken, you posted some time ago about various mattress manufacturers who make the kind of pocket coils that are better quality than Simmons. I am "sold" on the idea of pocket coils but am wary of buying a Simmons even though I may do so if I can't find a quality pocket coil mattress within my budget.

Anyway, I did a search for pocket coils and could not find your thread, if it exists. I know you commented within my "Are S Companies Switchiing to Pocket Coils" thread but that isn't the one I am looking for. I am looking for names of manufacturers of mattresses who use quality pocket coils, and if you have price ranges on a Twin or Full that's all the better.

Obviously, ANYONE who has prices for pocket coils made with Quality in mind - please post any info you have.

Re: Budgy - Can't find your thread re pocket coils made the right way
Reply #1 May 25, 2011 3:40 PM
I think out of all the brands I listed Marshall Mattress is probably the most reasonably priced.  And their coils are among the best. 
Reply #2 May 28, 2011 5:39 PM
budgy wrote:

I think out of all the brands I listed Marshall Mattress is probably the most reasonably priced.  And their coils are among the best. 

Hi Budgy, thanks for the reply. I checked the net for Marshall Mattress and found their web site but could not find anything on their web site that says where they are available except for a store in Ontario. I wrote them to ask if they are available online or in CA but I am doubtful that they are, based on my not finding any info at google that says so.

Any other ideas for a good pocket coil that might be available in CA or online?

Why is cotton better than synthetic pockets for the coils? Because it is less likely to tear? Even if it tears, I am not quite sure that would cause a problem unless many or all of them tear and the springs poke out of their pockets. Is it that if several tear, then the springs would migrate? Have you seen this happening much in newer Simmons? I do think migration is a problem, I am pretty sure my old Simmons coils migrated. However that may well have been caused by my not moving the mattress with as much care as I should have taken, because at that time I didn't understand the problem that could occur if the springs migrate.

In normal use and with careful moving I doubt the springs would migrate like mine did in that old cheap Simmons. Now almost everyone - even Simmons' cheapest "Classic" line - uses a hard foam edge support which not only gives support to the edge of the mattress for sitting but also makes sure the coils are boxed-in to the mattress. So really I don't see how they could migrate very easily unless the mattress were moved roughly, bent around corners, etc. (as mine was! ;-D ).

However, if I had the choice, and if they were affordable, using an independently and quality-made pocket coil system with cotton instead of Duon or other synthetic seems like a good idea.

Reply #3 May 28, 2011 6:14 PM
if the coils are going to migrate at all its going to be where the mattress is used the most, where you are sleeping rather than on the edge.  poly foam edges are weaker than steel from edge to edge.  the other concerns with the polyester pocket coils is that the fabric usually seems to be just big enough to fit the coils inside and tends to restrict individual movement on the coils as the fabric will tug on the adjacent coils pulling them down towards the heavier points of your body where the springs compress more.  this can also cause noise, where as cotton seems to dampen the noise somewhat.  I am really not sure of any particular place in CA that can get you springs by themselves...but I believe Vivetique imports a highquality hand nested pocket coil and they I believe are based in CA...I would contact them with some of your concerns...actually they might even make the perfect mattress for you sans modification.

Ask them about their Natural Royal Dream mattress, and or if you can purchase the spring system by itself sans upholstery.

This message was modified May 28, 2011 by budgy
Reply #4 May 28, 2011 7:28 PM
budgy wrote:

if the coils are going to migrate at all its going to be where the mattress is used the most, where you are sleeping rather than on the edge.  poly foam edges are weaker than steel from edge to edge.  the other concerns with the polyester pocket coils is that the fabric usually seems to be just big enough to fit the coils inside and tends to restrict individual movement on the coils as the fabric will tug on the adjacent coils pulling them down towards the heavier points of your body where the springs compress more.  this can also cause noise, where as cotton seems to dampen the noise somewhat.  I am really not sure of any particular place in CA that can get you springs by themselves...but I believe Vivetique imports a highquality hand nested pocket coil and they I believe are based in CA...I would contact them with some of your concerns...actually they might even make the perfect mattress for you sans modification.

Ask them about their Natural Royal Dream mattress, and or if you can purchase the spring system by itself sans upholstery.

I am not really looking for just coils, I am looking for an entire mattress. Of course I figure there is a chance I will have to perform surgery on anything I buy but for now I am open to buying a complete pocket coil mattress. IF I knew of a place that would sell me just the springs nestled in the mattress for me to add my own foam I might do that - if it were substantially cheaper than buying the whole mattress; but frankly I doubt any company would sell me just the springs minus the foam on top, and sewn top.

Their web site does not say where their dealers are located - very odd; you have to write them an email or call to find out where they are located. I wrote an email asking them. One web site I found though seems to indicate that their mattresses are Queen and King size only and very expensive. Maybe just that dealer only carries the Q and K and maybe I can find a Full in a better price.

I am beginning to wonder if I will be able to afford a "better" pocket coil. I might have to go with Simmons after all...

This message was modified May 28, 2011 by jimsocal
Reply #5 May 28, 2011 7:31 PM
jimsocal wrote:

I am not really looking for just coils, I am looking for an entire mattress. Of course I figure there is a chance I will have to perform surgery on anything I buy but for now I am open to buying a complete pocket coil mattress. IF I knew of a place that would sell me just the springs nestled in the mattress for me to add my own foam I might do that - if it were substantially cheaper than buying the whole mattress; but frankly I doubt any company would sell me just the springs minus the foam on top, and sewn top.

Their web site does not say where their dealers are located - very odd; you have to write them an email or call to find out where they are located. I wrote an email asking them. One web site I found though seems to indicate that their mattresses are Queen and King size only and very expensive. Maybe just that dealer only carries the Q and K and maybe I can find a Full in a better price.

I am beginning to wonder if I will be able to afford a "better" pocket coil. I might have to go with Simmons after all...

sorry Jim im not sure what else to suggest :(  hopefully they get back to you with good news.

Reply #7 May 30, 2011 3:58 PM
jimsocal wrote:

Here's an interesting mattress I may have to inquire about to find out more specific details:

http://www.pjssleep.com/store/organics/mattresses/pjs-organic-coil-latex-mattress-cushion-firm.html

Re Marshall Mattress. I got this back from them:

Thank you for your interest in Marshall Mattress.

We do not sell directly to the public, only to retailers and designers.  Unfortunately, we do not have any retailers in the U.S.

Kind regards.

Mary Mosey , Client Services
Marshall Mattress
TEL: 416-633-5543
FAX: 416-633-9262
1-800-682-6861
www.marshallmattress.com

Recent Posts