Brooklyn Bedding All Latex Models from LatexMattressShop
May 22, 2011 4:41 PM
I was almost ready to pull the trigger on latex pieces from foambymail to build a DIY mattress (my thread on that:  http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/advice-needed-my-diy-all-latex-project/19004-0-1.html ).  But I've continued to pour through old posts.  In so doing, I ran accross Phoenix's posts mentioning http://latexmattressshop.com/index.php/ .   Other than Phoenix's mention, there isn't a lot of info here or folks that seem to have their mattresses.  I am amazed by their prices for what you get and am now thinking this is a better way to go for me.  I realize that going this way, you lose the ability to tweak, but I wasn't looking forward to that anyway.  They do offer a complete 60 day money back guarantee.

I would love to hear more opinions about the Brooklyn Bedding latex line and latexmattressshop as a company.  If all is on the up and up, I would also like help selecting which of their mattresses might be best for my wife and me.

Repeating our sleep bio info. from my other thread: me, I'm 6'0" 170-175lbs, 38 y.o., mainly a stomach sleeper but usually flip to my back at some point during the night.  My wife is 5'0" 110-115lbs, 36 y.o., mainly a stomach sleeper, but also flips to her back some.  We both occasionally deal with low back pain usually brought on by our workouts. 

I am considering the Allure Plush 10" (http://latexmattressshop.com/index.php/comfort-level/allure-latex-plush) or the Fascination Pillow 12" (http://latexmattressshop.com/index.php/comfort-level/fascination-latex-pillow).  The top layer can be selected as soft, medium, or firm.  I am thinking medium would be the way to go on that since medium-firm is typically best for low back pain sufferers.  With the 10% off coupon I received from signing up for their e-mail list, I can get the 10" Allure with matching King foundation for $1,371.60 with free shipping.  The 12" Fascination with foundation would be $1,632.60.  

I am thinking the 10" Allure might be the way to go.  This is basically how I was planning to setup my DIY project.  Just the 3 foam pieces from FBM were going to be $1,215, and the return guarantee was subject to shipping being charged both ways and a 25% restocking fee. 

The 12" pillowtop looks really nice, but I'm worried it may be too soft for us as stomach sleepers.  I'm also not clear about what is in the pillowtop since the diagrams on the construction for both mattresses list the same materials in the top.  I will call to find out about this. 

Now, I realize a big difference in the latex in these setups is Dunlop while the FBM latex is Talalay (though both are 100% natural).  Considering that the top layer can be chosen as soft, medium, or firm, do you think the Dunlop would be too firm for us?  I do like the feel of a solid bed.  Also, though there is little info here on the Brooklyn Bedding line, someone commented that the 8" version was too soft for them.

I do worry some about the FBM pieces as the comments seem to be that their ILD ratings are inconsistent.

Bottom line - are one of these two options from latexmattressshop a better call than doing a DIY mattress sourced from FBM?  If so, which model do you think would be better for us?

Many thanks!  I continue to be amazed at the wealth of information on this forum.

This message was modified May 22, 2011 by TheLTFM
Re: Brooklyn Bedding All Latex Models from LatexMattressShop
Reply #10 May 22, 2011 11:06 PM
sleepswithcats, thanks for the BBB research!  I think one of the reasons for the lower price is the mostly Dunlop latex vs. Talalay.  I thought it was all Dunlop, but one place on their site references a 2" Talalay layer.  On the coupon, if you subscribe to their e-mail list, you actually get a 10% off code which the prices I quote in my first post include.  The return policy is stated here:  http://latexmattressshop.com/index.php/customer-service#returns  60 day, send it back, "no cost to you."  I am going to verify with them that covers shipping both ways.  In one of Phoenix's posts about this company, that is what he said.  And yes, I have a list of 13 questions that is growing that I plan to go over with them tomorrow.

neeed2sleep, I definitely took his comment with a grain of salt.  Freedom 1955 who built a mattress from their latex reported that switching from the 20 to the 32 layer made the bed feel firmer.  I look forward to hearing about your experiences when you receive your latex from them hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks,

Cliff

p.s. - just found this statement on the homepage:

“If you buy any mattress from The Mattress Shop and you’re not 100% completely satisfied within the first 60 day, simply return it for 100% of your investment back. We’ll even pay the shipping costs so you won’t have to.”

That’s more than fair isn’t? With an offer like this on every mattress we offer…

There’s no way for you to lose!

This message was modified May 22, 2011 by TheLTFM
Reply #11 May 22, 2011 11:13 PM

Instead of ordering talalay toppers to go over the 10" plush, did you consider doing an exchange to the 10" model with the "soft" topper?  Was that just too much hassle?  The money back guarantee should have allowed you to do that for free where buying more toppers is obviously costing you more.

While hauling the mattress upstairs I inadvertedly punctured a small hole in the bottom of the mattress, so I wasn't going to try and send it back at that point.

Please explain more about the "7 zones" and how you adjust them?  From looking at the website, I thought this was a sealed enclosure mattress.  Are you saying the mattress has a zippered case and you are moving zones around?  Again, I'd really like to hear more about this.

It is a sealed enclosure, I was referring to the Comfort Zones. You just have to lay on it properly to take advantage of the different comfort layers.

It is interesting that dunadan finds the 10" plush on the firm side where the poster weewillwinky refers to found the 8" base model too soft.  Perhaps that only furthers need2sleep's point about the subjectivty associated with many of the terms we use here to describe mattresses.

Yeah, I'm sure it's pretty subjective. If I had to do it over I might have went with just the 8" base model and add toppers, or just the Allure with the default soft. Even with having to add toppers I still find this to be a good deal. I like the idea of having a dunlop base and adding Talalay layers in 1" layers to suit to taste.

I don't want to make this thread too much about FBM (probably better to do that in my other thread) though it does factor in as it is my comparative option at this point.  weewilly is pretty much right on about my inconsistency comment.  Also of concern was what the salesperson with FBM told me when I was asking about how I planned to construct my mattress.  He said the 20 ILD toppers felt pretty much just like the 32 ILD toppers.  Either he is wrong about that or there truly is inconsistency within their own latex as that should not be the case at all.  

Anyone have any general comments about an all Dunlop setup vs an all Talalay setup?  I've read somewhere that the Dunlop process cannot be used to make softer ILD latex.  Editing this now because the site does claim a 2" Talalay layer, so it is not all Dunlop.

Thanks again!

Reply #12 May 22, 2011 11:30 PM
TheLTFM wrote:

sleepswithcats, thanks for the BBB research!  I think one of the reasons for the lower price is the mostly Dunlop latex vs. Talalay.  I thought it was all Dunlop, but one place on their site references a 2" Talalay layer.  On the coupon, if you subscribe to their e-mail list, you actually get a 10% off code which the prices I quote in my first post include.  The return policy is stated here:  http://latexmattressshop.com/index.php/customer-service#returns  60 day, send it back, "no cost to you."  I am going to verify with them that covers shipping both ways.  In one of Phoenix's posts about this company, that is what he said.  And yes, I have a list of 13 questions that is growing that I plan to go over with them tomorrow.

neeed2sleep, I definitely took his comment with a grain of salt.  Freedom 1955 who built a mattress from their latex reported that switching from the 20 to the 32 layer made the bed feel firmer.  I look forward to hearing about your experiences when you receive your latex from them hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks,

Cliff

p.s. - just found this statement on the homepage:

“If you buy any mattress from The Mattress Shop and you’re not 100% completely satisfied within the first 60 day, simply return it for 100% of your investment back. We’ll even pay the shipping costs so you won’t have to.”

That’s more than fair isn’t? With an offer like this on every mattress we offer…

There’s no way for you to lose!

Other than the hassle of repacking and sending the bed back, I don't see whats to lose.

Reply #13 May 23, 2011 12:15 AM
need2sleep636 wrote:

Other than the hassle of repacking and sending the bed back, I don't see whats to lose.

There are lots of policies not mentioned on the web site.  Like what happens after 60 days?  And can you swap layers if you are not happy with firmness? I would be more likely to take a chance if the store were local and returning the mattress would not cost a huge amount of money.  But $1000 is a lot of money and I would like to feel like I had seen enough reviews to know I was not making a mistake.

From reading this forum, I would not hesitate to purchase from Sleepez, Flobeds, Savvy Rest.  I have seen enough people talk about experience with these companies.  Other companies have been mentioned, but as they would all be mail order for me, I don't see sufficient savings to justify risk.  I haven't considered DIY, but there seem to be several places where you can buy foam and covers.  I've looked at the web sites for some of those vendors and they seem to be reasonable and state their policies up front.  Perhaps I am different than most people, but I am nervous about web sites that lack basic information.  I want to know what I am buying.

Every mattress I have tried out felt great, even the spring mattresses.  What you really want to know is what all of these mattresses will feel like 5, 10, 15 years down the road.  And you can't be assured that the model made 10 years ago is the same as the one made today.  Most of the reivews here are for new or relatively new mattresses.

Reply #14 May 23, 2011 1:36 AM
sleepswithcats wrote:

There are lots of policies not mentioned on the web site.  Like what happens after 60 days?  And can you swap layers if you are not happy with firmness? I would be more likely to take a chance if the store were local and returning the mattress would not cost a huge amount of money.  But $1000 is a lot of money and I would like to feel like I had seen enough reviews to know I was not making a mistake.

From reading this forum, I would not hesitate to purchase from Sleepez, Flobeds, Savvy Rest.  I have seen enough people talk about experience with these companies.  Other companies have been mentioned, but as they would all be mail order for me, I don't see sufficient savings to justify risk.  I haven't considered DIY, but there seem to be several places where you can buy foam and covers.  I've looked at the web sites for some of those vendors and they seem to be reasonable and state their policies up front.  Perhaps I am different than most people, but I am nervous about web sites that lack basic information.  I want to know what I am buying.

Every mattress I have tried out felt great, even the spring mattresses.  What you really want to know is what all of these mattresses will feel like 5, 10, 15 years down the road.  And you can't be assured that the model made 10 years ago is the same as the one made today.  Most of the reivews here are for new or relatively new mattresses.

Well I made that comment assuming TheLTFM was fine with the 60 day policy. I don't believe there are any layers to swap in that bed setup. Although TheLTFM  hasn't stated a budget, by the looks of the options he has given, his budget may be tight. I agree with you in regards to the three well known and tested sites you listed............... But if you don't have the money they're asking then you can only go the alternative route. A king at those three sites would cost me $2500; I just don't have that kind of a budget for a bed.

This message was modified May 23, 2011 by need2sleep636
Reply #15 May 23, 2011 3:08 AM
I understand about the budget being a constraint.  Personally, I don't think that site has enough information to make a well informed decision.  dunadan has already made two purchases to correct for comfort.  It always a bit depressing to see people spend a lot of money only to have to spend more to correct problems.  Maybe the better way to look at this is what it might cost if you don't get it right the first time.

Perhaps dunadan can tell us why he didn't return the mattress or exchange a layer?

Reply #16 May 23, 2011 8:41 AM
sleepswithcats wrote:

Perhaps dunadan can tell us why he didn't return the mattress or exchange a layer?

"While hauling the mattress upstairs I inadvertedly punctured a small hole in the bottom of the mattress, so I wasn't going to try and send it back at that point"

Reply #17 May 23, 2011 9:21 AM
need2sleep636 wrote:

That's what I am thinking as well, pending the answers I get to my questions.  With the statements on their website coupled with credit card protections, they would not survive a chargeback if they didn't honor the 60 day trial period as stated.

Sleepswithcats does bring up a good point about the warranty beyond the 60 days and I plan to ask them about that.  However, I don't put much stock in long-term warranties as companies tend to always look for an out.   

Reply #18 May 23, 2011 9:28 AM
dunadan wrote:

It is a sealed enclosure, I was referring to the Comfort Zones. You just have to lay on it properly to take advantage of the different comfort layers.

Having to lay on it properly scares me a little bit as I've never thought about a proper way to lay on a bed.  Is the feel that noticable that there is a wrong way to lay on this bed?  Are you a stomach, side, or back sleeper?

Reply #19 May 23, 2011 9:47 AM
TheLTFM wrote:

Sleepswithcats does bring up a good point about the warranty beyond the 60 days and I plan to ask them about that.  However, I don't put much stock in long-term warranties as companies tend to always look for an out.   

I agree. 5-10yrs down the road, I think any company will be reluctant to refund or exchange a purchase in that price range. I've just checked the tracking on my order and its in my city out for delivery. I will take pictures and post them. It looks like I won't be able to insert them into the post unless I host them somewhere and use the url

Recent Posts