Bed in a Box ... looking for some clarification
Sep 16, 2007 12:25 AM
I was following the thread on the old forum and saw one I don't understand. Has some information surfaced and been posted that I have missed? I was considering one of their beds but now i am concerned about the company. Has anyone purchased form them?
This message was modified Sep 16, 2007 by midfla1
Re: Bed in a Box ... looking for some clarification
Reply #1 Sep 16, 2007 1:15 AM
Foam Nerd
I searched and searched and found a grand total of two references to the mattress from actual users - all the other posts were the same "advertisement."

Technically speaking, I believe their mattress will be of very reasonable quality, albeit on the soft side. [1] They use an HR core (high resilience polyurethane) of 2.4 lb density, which is quite impressive for a mattress at this price point. Their memory foam is a new foam from BASF called Pluracel Vx, manufactured by North Carolina Foam Industries. To my knowledge BedinaBox is the first company to use it in a mattress application. Up till now I had only seen it used in furniture. I know very little about it except that it's a 3 lb density and claimed to be non-temperature sensitive from 40 to 100 degrees. I suspect it's a decent quality foam...for a 3 lb memory foam.

Their assertion that they have the "the absolute best memory foam mattress...in America" is amusing. When a company makes such a patently silly statement, what is one to make of it, and how credible does it make their other claims?
  • Their 3 lb memory foam is "the most advanced memory foam on the market" ?
  • "3 lb. memory foam is the ideal density" ?
  • "Comparing our advanced , next generation 3 lb. Pluracel Vx foam with other companies, including Tempur-Pedic™, is like comparing apples to bananas or a paper airplane to a Boeing 767."
This is a shame because their website is filled with a lot of great information. The trouble is, where does the good information end and the hype machine begin?

I'm anxious for someone to actually buy one of their mattresses and write a review here. Until then, we only know what they tell us.

[1] The high resilience core has an ILD of 32. The 3 lb memory foam has an ILD of 10. You will find this information here.
This message was modified Sep 16, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #2 Sep 16, 2007 2:22 PM
Thanks for the info. I went to their website and they have alot of reviews under a few of the mattress pages but then there is a box to "add a review" and I guess you just have to trust these are real people raving about it. I am going to e-mail them also and see if I get a response.
Reply #3 Oct 3, 2007 7:57 PM
I just saw a comment on the Consumer Reports mattress forum from someone who purchased one.

They had slept on it for three days at the time of the comment and were giving it a thumbs up (one person did experience some of the heat problems others comment about with foam mattresses, but not the other).

I asked them to post another comment at the one-month seal-of-approval mark, since I am interested in purchasing one -- will let you know if I hear back.

Reply #4 Oct 26, 2007 2:22 AM
Foam Nerd
Any new feedback on this company's product?

Edit:

A lot of new testimonials have been added since I Iast visited their website. I am rarely impressed by testimonials on a manufacturers website, but they list names and cities. If these weren't real, wouldn't this be all too easy to confirm? But riddle me this: Why is there not a single review on epinions.com?

Pacbed Original Plus King by BedinaBox.com  (link to epinions.com)
This message was modified Oct 27, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #5 Dec 4, 2007 10:49 AM
I've ordered their

PacDown Plus™
11" Mattress
(with down cover)

Queen.

And it should be here tomorrow judging by the Fedex tracking number given. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

EDIT* Ship weight reads 98lbs.

This message was modified Dec 4, 2007 by Agizor
Reply #6 Dec 4, 2007 3:27 PM
Foam Nerd
Super. Someone who will actually own one! I've certainly been anxious to know just how good the best mattress in the world is. :-)
Reply #7 Dec 5, 2007 1:28 AM
Haha, me too. Will see how this turns out. Honestly... A little scared, heh... Buuuuut will see how this goes.

*crosses fingers*

I'll check back tomorrow after it arrives.

Reply #8 Dec 5, 2007 8:11 AM
FWIW, the information on their website seems to make a lot of sense.  Having owned a older high density memory foam/ cheap pu foam bed, it seems like they addressed the issues I had.
Reply #9 Dec 5, 2007 5:05 PM
Foam Nerd
Their website is outstanding, and very informative.
Reply #10 Dec 5, 2007 7:17 PM
Alright - Got it in around 2:30. Came is a pretty nice "Bed in a Box" ... well, box. :) sealed, naturally.

The 11 inch thick mattress was only about 3-4 inches when rolled up, but quickly expanded once the vacuum was broken.

First impressions? I think it feels great so far. Sadly my word isn't too much of value as this is my first memory foam mattress, though I say it feels very similar to the Tempur ones i've very breifly tried in the mall. The goose down cover is also a nice touch thus far...

I won't know for sure though till I try it tonight ;) I've heard going from a normal to foam can be a rough transition for some. Anywho, i'm happy with it so far. I'll check back later tomorrow and report the first night. :P

Also, if there is anything I should be looking for in particular that you guys are curious to know, and its something I can observe of it, let me know. *shrugs*

This message was modified Dec 5, 2007 by Agizor
Reply #11 Dec 6, 2007 9:25 AM
 Sorry for the double post  - Just my observations.

Night one - I like it, a lot. It returns to its original shape just fast enough so that if you need to turn over, you're not finding yourself crawling out of a hole (not to say others DO feel that way as I've never owned one before this). It never felt "mushy" even after being on it for a while.

Heat problems? Non existent for me. It felt warm, never hot. It was really just right for my taste. I'm relieved to know it doesn't get hot like some memory foam mattresses I have read about.

It's soft, and gives some - but at the  same time  comfortably supportive. I went from an older Sealy Post mattress and this actually feels more supportive IMO (although it could just be because the Sealy was indeed several years old).

I guess some of my surprise is going into this thinking "Am I going to sink into this thing?" No, not at all. At 170lbs I don't do very much in the 'sinking in' factor. I believe this 11inch I purchased was designed for 250lbs and over though. Over the 9 inch, I mean.

Anyway, thus far I am pretty pleased with it. I honestly can't find anything to complain about it, and I assume that if the first night is usually the toughest for people switching to memory foam, my nights are only going to get better.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask (as i'm not much of a review writer as you can tell)      = )
This message was modified Dec 6, 2007 by Agizor
Reply #12 Dec 10, 2007 2:11 PM
Update -

I seem to be getting more used to it and its getting easier to sleep on it vs night 1 and 2.

There indeed DOES seem to be a bit of a heat issue when compared to my old Sealy Post - if the room is kept cool though, it's not an issue. Apart from that little issue, i'm happy with it.
Reply #13 Apr 22, 2008 6:53 AM
I have the Queen PacDown Plus 11" w/ down cover.  I love this mattress.  Purchasing this mattress through this company was an extremely easy and positive experience.  I am a very light sleeper but since buying this mattress, I have been getting a longer and deeper more relaxing sleep; better than any spring mattress I have ever slept on. Recommended for those looking for a completely zen-night sleep.
Reply #14 May 1, 2008 1:06 AM
njk001 wrote:
I have the Queen PacDown Plus 11" w/ down cover.  I love this mattress.  Purchasing this mattress through this company was an extremely easy and positive experience.  I am a very light sleeper but since buying this mattress, I have been getting a longer and deeper more relaxing sleep; better than any spring mattress I have ever slept on. Recommended for those looking for a completely zen-night sleep.

Oh please - you are SO obvious. lol  The admins should delete you ASAP as it's obvious you are not an objective/independent party.  1st post and you sound like you're right out of a commercial with absolutely no valuable comments either for or aganist - just useless, positive drivel.
Reply #15 Jun 20, 2008 8:51 AM
I googled and found this thread because I was wondering how my BedinaBox mattress would hold up over time.  We bought the king size 11" mattress with the bamboo cover.  So far, we love it.  We both have some back problems.  I have also had achey shoulders throughout the night which wake me causing me to turn over numerous times in the night.  My husband and I are both sleeping much better, not waking in the night, and waking up without back pain.  We have never slept on any other foam mattress so cannot compare, but we have not had any temperature problems at all.  We love the mattress, my only concern is whether or not there will eventually be indentations where we sleep. 
Reply #16 Jan 31, 2009 8:56 PM
I have owend a bed in a box 9" since about June I think.  I was leary at first. but looked at their web site and sent emails back and forth with them for a month or two I was impressed how quick they responded got drunk on night and ordered. First few night where different got back from a week in Chicago last night and I couldn't get in this bed fast enough.  I love this bed!!!!   If you are concerned like I was email them and they will respond to your questions, or call they will answer and you will talk to someone in the USA.  I live in Indiana and I was impressed everytime I call a company im talking to someone in India  I've even called them with a few questions about washing the Down cover and they where willing to take the time to answer so yes great bed and good customer service.
Reply #17 Feb 2, 2009 2:36 AM
I've had my Bed in a Box for several months now. It's ok. It doesn't sleep hot. But I'm a side sleeper, and I find that it's a little too firm for that. On another thread I asked if a latex foam topper might help. Nobody answered.
Reply #18 May 25, 2009 12:47 PM
Had my pac down queen size bedinabox since march 25th. I have slept on it
regularly till now and you can skip all hype on their website about the new foam
from BASF called Pluracel Vx, manufactured by North Carolina Foam Industries.

It is all bunk. The topper broke down in about forty days of regular use.

The first week was great. The foam was definitely softer than the tempurpedic I had slept on at a holiday inn for research purposes. But it was quite supportive and I found sleeping on my back to be restful for the first time. However, by the fourth week I had noticed that the foam topper around the area where my torso lay became almost half as resistiveas areas of the bed that got less use like the middle of the mattress and the foot of the mattress.

I had high hopes for this mattress since their line of BS that you read about on their site about the pluracell foam being less susceptible to ILD breakdown and having the benefit of rapid response to rolling over in the middle of the night etc from a 3 pound memory foam.

Don't believe it. They use this 3 pound foam for a reason. It is probably unbelievably cheap to manufacture and then they try to put their hogwash promotional spin on it by touting the benefits of it over 5.5 pound memory foam with claims that foam density has very little to do with performance and durability and in fact that 3 pound foam done right is much superior for the reasons described on the website. What can I tell you. Being the logical person that I am this crap actually seemed to make sense. In practice I think I just got fleeced.

How in god's earth does a superior memory foam lose half its  ILD resistive power in just under two months. granted there is no indentation in the bed where the topper has lost its support but just using my fingers and pressing into the mattress in different placesit is very obvious where the mattress is supportive and where its not.

So I called them a couple of days ago and got a call back from Matt at bedinabox today and he left a message so I called back and left him a message. We'll see how this all plays out.
This message was modified May 25, 2009 by dupatta
Reply #19 Sep 3, 2009 8:04 AM
I've owned a 11" pac bamboo for almost a year now. I don't know much about mattresses or about memory foam, but I do know that I am extremely disappointed with this mattress. The first week I slept decently on it, but ever since I rarely have a good night's sleep. We had to remove the bamboo cover b/c there is a plastic lining on the bottom of it, which in my opinion doesn't allow the memory foam to do what it is supposed to. So sleeping straight on the memory foam is a little better, but still not what I expected a memory foam mattress to feel like. I wake up stiff every morning. I do sleep a little better on it when it is cool in the room, but I sleep horribly when it is warm.
Unfortunately, I decided to continue giving the mattress "a try" beyond the trial period and now I'm stuck with it.
Reply #20 Sep 29, 2010 12:47 PM
DO NOT get suckered into one of these! I bought a King/bamboo top 6 or 7 months ago. The first thing I noticed is that it was HOT to sleep on. It was comfortable though for the 1st few months. After that, the foam broke down and my wife and I wake up everyday with severe back pain. These things are junk, plain and simple! And I'm out 1000 bucks and sleeping on the floor :/
Reply #21 Sep 29, 2010 5:16 PM
I agree with you.  I got a memory foam topper from them that is absolutely useless it is so soft and quickly became even softer.  Apparently now they are offering 4lb toppers instead of the 3 lb one I got but I wouldn't buy from them again.
Reply #22 Sep 29, 2010 6:23 PM
Are these also made by Zinus like the Keetsas?
Reply #23 Sep 29, 2010 7:36 PM
I think my 3 lb was made by BASF, I don't know about the 4 lb.
Reply #24 Feb 22, 2011 12:18 PM
I have been shoppoing around for a while now and I called several companies about their toppers and they said it doesn't matter how good the topper if your putting it on a cheap or uncomfortable mattress you won't notice much of a difference...and if you're looking for a new mattress and have any problem with being hot while sleeping stay very far away memory foam, but if you're looking for a foam mattress that will give you the comfort of a Visco mattress get a real Talalay latex mattress, they offer a similar feel to a visco but not the heat....
This message was modified Feb 22, 2011 by Epimansg
Reply #25 Feb 22, 2011 9:24 PM
if you want a bed that feels like memory foam, buy memory foam.  Latex feels totally different.
Reply #26 Apr 21, 2011 11:54 AM
I have been using my original tempurpedic mattress for 6 years and recently ordered a full-size BedInaBox Pac Bamboo 13".  In comparison to the orginal tempurpedic, the PacBamboo is definitely much softer.  I am not sure if it is because it has a thicker soft foam material over the top of the denser foam.  when you sit on it, it quickly sinks down but when you lie down on it, you don't sink down as far as your weight is distributed over larger area.  Is PacBamboo bad?  I don't think it is as simple as that because it all depends on the individual.  For me who like it very firm, it is too soft.  For my wife who also used the tempurpedic bed for 6 years found it to be acceptable. If you are looking for a mattress with the firmness of the original tempurpedic, the PacBamboo will be too soft.  There may be other lines from bedinabox that is firmer but from the info shown on their website, this appears to be the firmest of the mattresses. 

On the other hand, I did find ordering the mattress over the internet and having it shipped in a relatively compact box to your home was convenient and refreshing.  Depending on where you live, they can get it to your house in 1-3 days. very convenient and fast.

Later, I also made a comparison to the local store selling Tempurpedic original bed of the same size.  They are giving away 2 tempurpedic pillows with the purchase of the tempur bed.  Although Tempur is more expensive, I found that after you include the 2 tempur pillows retailing for $99 each, the price differential between the full size original tempur vs Pacbamboo 13" full size bed is only by $250.  Not a huge price gap for tempur that has denser heavier foam.  with that said, bed in a box may be firm enough for some and it is a good deal if it fits someone's firmness preference. Perhaps it is a better comparison to some of the softer tempur mattresses. For me, it is too soft and I probably should have stuck with buying original Tempur again for a $250 price difference on a full size.

Reply #27 Sep 6, 2011 4:09 PM
Can anyone tell me if they have bought a topper from bed in a box and how they feel about it?  Is it everything you expected it to be and more
Reply #28 Sep 6, 2011 4:21 PM
midfla1 wrote:

I was following the thread on the old forum and saw one I don't understand. Has some information surfaced and been posted that I have missed? I was considering one of their beds but now i am concerned about the company. Has anyone purchased form them?

Bed in a Box  Can anyone tell me if they have bought a topper and how they like it.

Sandy

Recent Posts