Any suggestion for a good mattress retailer near NYC?
Dec 17, 2010 7:27 PM
Hi, I was reading through this site and saw some great suggestions for mattress storesTexas, Phoenix, etc. Don't know if I had missed the post on NY but can anyone suggest any good mattress stores in NYC or have feedback on an online retailer. I just found bedbugs in the mattress in my old apartment prior to moving (already fumigated!) and desperately need a mattress asap. I know this is a great site for me to read through but unfortunately don't have too much time to research now. If I could share what I've done so far, would appreciate any suggestions.  I've looked at1800-mattress but understand that sleepy's has bought them out. Wondering what this now means for the pricing there. Also looked us-mattress.com and www.mattressexpert.com but not sure where I'm getting a good deal since all the models are named differently. Am I allowed to bargain with these online sites or would I just be rude in doing so..?  Checked a Sleepy's and Macy's to test out the beds and think I've settled (more out of frustration than anything else) on a Simmons Beautyrest Classic Hanna or Paley or Globe or Alder (these were all the different names I got), or a Beautyrest Anniversary Sylvia or Mirelle--basically models around 600-850 that are firmer. All the prices I've been quoted are actually too high for me so wondering if anyone could offer advice here.  I just graduated from college and need a decent bed but can't afford to pay too much right now in my life. Will also probably upgrade (if this economy picks up!) to a nicer mattress in about 4-5 years. Thanks for your help.

P.S. I've been looking for blogs online all day now and this is one of the best I've seen so far. Thank you all for setting this up!

Re: Any suggestion for a good mattress retailer near NYC?
Reply #1 Dec 17, 2010 11:15 PM
What size are you looking for (makes a big difference in what you can buy for your budget)?

I would tend to stay away from "S" companies unless things are so urgent you have no choice. I would also be a little careful ordering online as the outlets you are looking at do not always have the best prices of the online outlets. Your best option may be to go as low as you can and basically buy a "decent innerspring" with little polyfoam in it and then put a quality topper over that. I'll take a look and see what is on my list that may be close to you.

If you can borrow a futon or anything for a short time then it would give you more time to make a better decision without rushing into something that may lead to "buyers remorse".

Phoenix

Reply #2 Dec 18, 2010 12:59 AM
Here are a few that are reasonably close to New York City that may help.

Phoenix

http://www.longsbedding.com/mattressesandboxsprings.html Manufacturer and Retailer. They tend towards higher end mattresses but it may be worth a call to see what they have in your budget.

http://www.lemoynesleeper.com/locations.html Regional Manufacturer. Not sure if any of these are close to you but if they are they would be a very good place to check out.

http://www.midwoodmattress.com/index.html Not clear if they make their own (sounds like it) but they seem to be a place worth checking out.

http://www.sleepmattress.com/contact_us.html Manufacturer. Carries mattresses in your range.

http://www.comfortbeddinginc.com/contact.asp Manufacturer. Carries a wide range

http://www.dixiefoam.com/mattresses.htm#latex Manufacturer. Has some good value Latex and Poly options

http://www.bemco.com/northeast.html Manufacturer (made by Sleepmaster). May be worth calling to see if there are retail outlets near you.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90110966 Manufacturer. Has a 7" latex that may be worth trying

These are in NJ but may be close enough to check out

http://capitalbedding.com/index.php?main_page=contact_us Retailer. Carry some alternate brands with good value

http://gohfw.com/corsicana.htm Retailer. Carries a latex/poly by Corsicana that may be in your range

http://www.mattressstorenyc.com/default.asp Retailer. Wide selection of alternate brands

http://www.mattressfac.com/ Manufacturer. Could be well worth checking out

http://www.chiromatic.com/ Manufacturer. May be worth a call to see if they have anything in your price range

Reply #3 Dec 18, 2010 9:31 PM
Thank you Phoenix! 

I got a lot from your suggestions. I previously only considered innerspring, but I see that you mentioned latex a few times in your suggestions and now I am considering it more seriously. Just tried a firm model at Bob's Discount Furniture and it seemed to feel pretty comfortable. My shoulder did feel a bit uncomfortable sleeping on my side, so i will be doing more research.  I have an option between queen or full actually, but my bed is a full sized frame and given the prices, I may just settle for a full so that it's more within my price range. Will be going to Ikea tomorrow to test out the latex one you had mentioned from them too. 

Appreciate all the suggestions on places to check out. Not sure if I can get a ride to go to all of them (I don't drive, so have to bribe friends to take me to all these places), would you happen to know of any good online retailers too besides the ones I mentioned? Thinking I could try to get the specs and try to figure out equivalent models that way.   Thanks again! 

Reply #4 Dec 18, 2010 9:50 PM
would you happen to know of any good online retailers too besides the ones I mentioned?

Not sure if you mean online outlets for "S" brands or similar or online outlets for manufacturers where you can "make your own" to varying degrees.

If it's the "make your own" online outlets you are looking for (trying to duplicate the feel of "S" brands with better materials) then there are 28 choices in reply #9 here.

Phoenix

Reply #5 Dec 19, 2010 11:43 AM
Thanks again Phoenix! 

Looked through all of them last night (dreamt about mattresses ironically enough) and as much as I want to stretch my budget, I don't think I most of the sites. Foambymail seems promising as well as foamorder, so I will be more carefully researching this.  I didn't realize there's so much to know about latex and in custom designing one, so doing my research to be more up to date.  I just wanted to confirm a couple things with you if that is ok, or if you know a good guide. I referenced the latex mattress buying guide on this site too, but still had a few questions. My understanding so far is that ILD refers to firmness levels. A lower ILD level is softer.  I weight about 115 lbs and am 5'2, and prefer firmer mattresses (innerspring comfort zone of 3/3.5--not sure if this is comparable though) and wondering what level I should be aiming for? Also how many inches my base needs to be. I know the more inches, the better but hoping I can get away with 6' as that is a huge difference in price. Also if I can go with a lower ild even though I want firmer because of my weight..? Can't have it all I know, but trying to get the best mattress i can given my budget and scrimping every way I can.  Also, I just want to confirm the logistics of a latex mattress. So I do need a cover for the latex mattress unless it specifically mentions that it comes with one already correct.  Was reading that a wool blend would be best because it allows it to breathe, but wondering your thoughts on just plain cotton. Also, i seem to be reading that the latex comes rolled up.  How do I make sure it transforms properly into a queen sized mattress, do I need any specific tools or anything. if it's based on it's interaction with air, would humidity or other factors apply..? I feel silly asking this question but couldn't find the right keywords to locate a right answer, and just imagining me there with a rolled up strip of latex, at a complete loss on what to do with it...I'm not very handy.  Thanks again for all your help in guiding such a latex newbie!

Reply #6 Dec 19, 2010 6:28 PM
Good questions ... and important ones to know before you consider buying latex.

ILD means how much weight it takes to compress a block of foam to 25% of it's thickness. Higher is firmer and lower is softer.

Latex in general is "firmer" than other types of foam. This is because it has a "response curve" that gets firmer faster when it's compressed than other types of foam. Many people are surprised at how "firm feeling" and "supportive" even the softer ILD's are.

When you are as light as you are, the softer ILD's will feel firmer to you than they would to someone that is heavier. Also because you are so light you would be able to buy a thinner mattress that someone who was heavier with the same benefits. There is no benefit to buying more latex than you need and in some cases it can be counterproductive. I am guessing you would likely need 2" of softer latex (ILD to be determined) over 4-6" of firmer latex (6 would be the "norm"). So the range of suitability for you would be somewhere between 6" and 9" depending on several factors and preferences.

What is over the latex is personal preference. A thicker less "elastic" layer (such as most wool) will make the mattress feel firmer and allow slightly less "sinking into" the latex. The choice is as much about personal preference as anything else in most cases and there is much debate about the different quiltings and tickings (covering material) that can be used. My personal preference with wool is to add it as a mattress pad since when it's part of the mattress construction you cannot remove it and air it out (unless you have a zip cover which most of the do it yourself ones do have). I still believe that a very elastic fabric layer over the latex would usually be better only because it would let you "test" the feeling of having latex closer to you and wool can always be added later as a mattress pad. Wool and other natural fibers have many benefits for sleeping on including breathability and moisture regulation. Latex as well is very breathable (different types to greater or lesser extents) and the breathability is what also regulates the moisture that may get into it. It is also important to have slats under it so air can enter underneath.

You also have several very good lower cost options besides an "all latex" mattress. In general there are two main layers inside your mattress. The top 2-4" is the comfort layer and it is mainly responsible for relieving pressure points. The layers under this are the "support layers" and they are mainly responsible for keeping you in alignment. This is an oversimplification but it close enough for this post. If you use latex as a comfort layer, you could use either a good quality innerspring or high quality polyfoam (called HR polyfoam) as your support layer and still have a very high quality long lasting mattress for a lower cost. This option in a full size could well put you in range of your budget with some good research. Even a very low cost mattress with next to no polyfoam over decent springs with a latex topper would do well here although local manufacturers would in many cases make something like this as well. Some of the links I posted have some options like this as well.

When you "unwrap" compressed latex, it will "whoosh" back into shape as it is very elastic. There is nothing you need to do except be careful cutting the packaging material so you don't damage the latex. Make sure you cut the packaging open on top of what you are putting it on as it is also quite heavy and a little difficult to carry around. This is different from compressed memory foam which will often take some time to come back and even some polyfoam as well.

I know you are "under the gun" in terms of time but a little research now that you've "opened the door" can lead to some very good options and would be well worth it. A little bit of field testing would also help more than anything else. This involves laying on mattresses in stores where you know what is in them so you can find out what you want to "duplicate". If you for example lay on a mattress in a store that has 2" of latex on top and another one that is similar with 3" on top, you would get a fairly clear idea of what is best for you. It will also help you decide on how firm the top layer should be for you. All you need to do is find something to sleep on in the meantime :)

Phoenix

PS: Foambymail was not on my "good value" list because you can never be certain that what you order from them is what you thought you were ordering in terms of type of latex and ILD. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. There are several on the list that have comparable (or lower) pricing than foamorder as well and this is especially true if you are ordering Talalay latex (springier and softer) for your comfort layer instead of Dunlop (firmer and a little less "springy) which would probably be preferable ... although only field testing could tell you for sure. Most people prefer Talalay in their comfort layers even though it is often a little more than most Dunlop.

This message was modified Dec 19, 2010 by Phoenix

Recent Posts