Is all memory foam sensitive to room temperature
Jun 14, 2010 8:34 PM
I read that feekling of tempurpedic changes as room temperature and your body heat affect it.

But is all memory foam behaves like tempurpedic does? Thanks

Re: Is all memory foam sensitive to room temperature
Reply #1 Jun 15, 2010 11:46 AM
As far as I've heard, the simple answer is yes.  Maybe Budgy can help with that question.
Reply #2 Jun 15, 2010 12:53 PM
Lower density memory foams tend to behave more like standard foam (cell structure collapses under weight)....all petrochemical products are senstive to heat, so these will be somewhat softer in a warm room.

A higher density memory foam will be firmer in terms of initial comfort because less compression will occur under weight....however they are more sensitive to heat because of a finer cell structure.

This is why when someone tries out say a Cloud Supreme TempurPedic (4.1 pound density on top) the mattress has a very soft initial feeling, doesn't have too much of that traditional slow reacting "sinking" feeling of other Tempur Models.

On the adverse on say a Rhapsody (7.0 pound density initial layer).  It has a firmer initial feeling however you actually do feel yourself sink into it gradual, as the cells of the foam retract from your body heat. 

Reply #3 Jun 15, 2010 6:32 PM
And let me add to that and say that since you are heavy, I'm betting a lower density memory foam wouldn't work well for you - the whole "bottoming out" issue you raised in another thread regarding Talalay latex.
Reply #4 Jun 16, 2010 12:20 AM
I read recently about newly-developed MF that is less temperature sensitive, but in spite of a little "browsing history" browsing (LOL!), I couldn't come up with the site where I read about it. But yes, there are one or two new products commercially available now with less sensitivity.
Reply #5 Jun 16, 2010 1:24 PM
Ouch
If it is less temp sensitive, it's probably also not as "memory-foamy" as quality MF's like Tempur or Sensus. The reason most people choose MF is to sink in slowly and be ensconced. I was under the impression that had a great deal to do with MF's reaction to body heat. 
This message was modified Jun 16, 2010 by garypen
Reply #6 Jun 16, 2010 3:23 PM
The whole idea that the foam reacts to heat instead of weight is exactly what delivers the pressure relieving qualities. This is how they try to acheive zero elasticity with the product.  If someone wants a high quality mattress that doesn't feel like a Tempur pedic then they should just get a latex mattress.  IMHO
Reply #7 Jun 16, 2010 6:50 PM
Tempurpedic memory foam is very temperature sensitive. It will freeze solid in freezing temperatures.

I put a chunk of Sensus  memory foam in the freezer to test. It was still soft the next day.

Reply #8 Jun 16, 2010 6:52 PM
mattressdan wrote:

Tempurpedic memory foam is very temperature sensitive. It will freeze solid in freezing temperatures.

I put a chunk of Sensus  memory foam in the freezer to test. It was still soft the next day.

1 post and against TP?

Actually my friend told me Tp will harden when temperature drops.

So what you say is false.

Reply #9 Jun 16, 2010 7:34 PM
Ouch
roy1 wrote:

1 post and against TP?

Actually my friend told me Tp will harden when temperature drops.

So what you say is false.

Ummm. No. That's exactly what he said. 

He also said that Sensus ( a competing brand of foam to TP) stays softer than TP foam at low temps. 

Reply #10 Jun 16, 2010 7:36 PM
garypen wrote:

Ummm. No. That's exactly what he said. 

He also said that Sensus ( a competing brand of foam to TP) stays softer than TP foam at low temps. 

I was wrong.

BTW what is sensus?

thanks.

This message was modified Jun 16, 2010 by roy1
Reply #11 Jun 16, 2010 7:49 PM
Ouch
roy1 wrote:

I was wrong.

BTW what is sensus?

thanks.

Sensus is the brand name of a 5lb (medium/firm) memory foam made by a company called Foamex. They also make a 4lb (soft) mf called "Aerus", and a 7lb (firm) mf called Venus. Aerus is blue, Sensus is pink, and Venus is some other color, I forget. (Although, Overstock is selling so-called Venus toppers, which are actually Aerus toppers. Kinda bogus.)

AFAIK, Foamex doesn't actually make beds and pillows, they make the foams that other companies use in their beds and pillows, similar to LI making talalay for all of those mattress companies. (Although, LI does make their own line of pillows.)

From my recent research, the Foamex memory foams are highly regarded, and seem to be considered the second best after TP. So, if you want to save money by buying a non-TP bed, you should stick with one that uses Foamex Sensus, at minimum. There appear to be many etailers on the Web selling MF beds and toppers made of Foamex foams.

In fact, if the 1" latex topper works out on my half of our new bed, I will buy a 1" Sensus topper for my wife's half to match heights. (She prefers MF to latex.)

Recent Posts