advice on a latex setup for lower back pain
Sep 3, 2010 8:10 AM
I'm trying to figure out a good configuration for latex layers to alleviate some lower back pain, and I'd love to get some feedback from forum members experienced with this kind of thing. I have no local access to latex components, so I'm basing this on what I've read from others on the forum.

Our current mattress, the firmest we could find, began to sag and lose support shortly after we bought it. The addition of a 2" firm latex topper (and removal of PU foam) helped somewhat, but it appears the springs are the underlying problem. I wake up every morning with significant stiffness across my lower back and hips.

We're in our mid-thirties. At 6', 170 lbs, I'm the largest. I generally prefer to sleep on my stomach/back, but with our current mattress stomach sleeping is painful, so I've become a back/side sleeper. My wife is predominantly a side sleeper, but she's also more or less unaffected by our current problem.

I know we'll have to do some experimenting to get the right combination, but I'd really like to hear some suggestions about where to start. I already have 2" of firm from FBM.

--Firm vs. extra firm core?

--Do most people with overall firm mattresses still have some softer components?

Ultimately I'm wondering which components I should begin shuffling around. Something like the following (although maybe not in that order)?

wool pad
1" medium
2" firm
6" extra firm

I was assuming I'd go with Talalay, since it seems a little cheaper and I don't have a strong preference.

Does this sound like it would provide the kind of support I'm looking for? I'm open to suggestions.

Many thanks!

This message was modified Sep 4, 2010 by a_bear

Recent Posts