Would you pay extra for a "good" deal?
Jun 15, 2008 2:30 AM
After buying a memory foam mattress last week from Costco only to discover that I and my wife hate it (too soft), I am now furiously trying to find another bed.

After considerable research and going to a half-dozen stores, I have settled on a Latex bed. Initially I had liked Dormia (Sonora and Ultimate) but have been concerned about their rep (lots of complaints with the BBB) and finally decided to go with Natura - specifically the Solace mattress ($1,970 - queen) by itself.

One store that I happened to visit had a floor model  - the Natura Solace mattress in a queen size (just what I want) - in a dual-adjustable frame. So the Solace is split at the top. The frame itself looks like a "Justabed" foundation (http://www.flobeds.com/product_details.htm?ID=7033DK). It's what Natura calls a split-top Solace on top of a Naturaflex base. The list price on this arrangement seems to be around $4,910. They were offering to close it out for $2,599 to make room for new models. So the obvious first question would be - is this a good deal - yeah, something never to ask I know.

So, I was all set to get this clearance one since 1) I liked the Solace mattress, 2) for $600 or so more I would get an adjustable bed similiar to the Justabed on FloBeds. I was considering getting a nice "Euro-style" foundation anyhow. it appears to be an adjustable bed on a similiar "Euro-style" slat foundation as can be found on FloBeds.

All set to do that and then I stumbled across SleepEZ and the whole idea of building your own bed for what appears to be a considerable savings. $1,553 for natural Talalay for their Select Sleep 10,000 model.

I like the idea of saving money and the adjustable bed is simly a nice-to-have but should I go for an unknown versus a mattress I've tried and liked (the Solace) simply because I could save some money?

Anyone else like the Solace or would they build their own (SleepEZ or Flobeds)?

Cheers

Jeff

Re: Would you pay extra for a "good" deal?
Reply #1 Jun 28, 2008 3:03 PM
Based on my experiences if you are picky like I am, building your own bed will allow you to tweek it to suit your comfort level and is worth the extra money in my opinion to know what you have inside the zippered cover, to be comfortable for many years and to be able to adjust two sides to be a little different if you have a partner or sometimes you like the bed a little firmer or softer.  I have a FloBeds and I am very comfortable with it and liked the exchange policy and return policy which to me was worth the extra amount. It cost me less than the SleepEZ since the price went down two times during the 90 days and I was credited both discounts which one of them included a free slat box.  I know many people happy with SleepEz also.

Recent Posts