Whats in my mattress that it gives me Nightmares its Sooo Hot
Jan 24, 2011 10:52 PM
 Ok so I have a  mattress that literally gives me nightmares,  I purchased it around 3 years ago for over $2,000 (in Australia ) for just the mattress , for the last 2 years of its life i have been sleeping on it upside down as the top is just a furnace to sleep on . We live in North Queensland so our Air con is always cranked up, I always use pure cotton mattress protector and sheets , also tried using one of magnetic pure wool underblankets, but the heat raged through everything so turned it upside down and slept on the bottom.  I always thought it was the latex that was the problem , but after deciding to bite the bullet and buy a new bed decided to find out just exactly what was in my discontinued mattress ,  apparently has  the cover , 400g wool and poly blend ( i tried to find out what % wool and what poly but the first time i asked i thought they said 10% wool and the second time i tried to clarify i was told 10% poly .. BIG difference any idea which would be right? ) then 30ml foam, then 3 inches of latex.  The Big suprise to me was that the Bottom of the mattress is made up of a 6 inch block of Pure Latex.  Seeing as we have been sleeping on the bottom , ( with a magnetic wool underlay and a cotton mattress protector) and we have not been sleeping hot its  obviously not the Latex thats making us hot.  I tried turning the mattress back onto its pillow top and sleeping on that for the last 2 nights after 2 years of sleeping on the bottom of it .  But Still HORRIBLE its sooo hot that i had the worst nightmares  for two nights in a row so will be flipping it back over tonight.  Have  previously owned a double sided pillow top , which i loved and was not hot at all, but was damaged by water.  So surely it cant be all pillow tops that get hot ? i really need a mattress thats not to firm as i am a side sleeper and my hips really hurt on to firm a mattresses.  I have been researching and asking mr google for days now trying to understand what new mattress i should buy.  I prefer natural materials as i suffer from eczema , so love cotton and silk .. and hate polyester grrr.  After all my googling it seems that maybe a flexgel bed with aero flex or something similar , but they are very expensive here in Australia , they seem to be about double the price of American mattresses , and they still sound weird, also  maybe because i am sensitive to non natural things i would even end up hot in one of those.   Any Help PLEase am Desperate not to make a mistake this time :( 

and why  is the above mentioned mattress  soooooo hot , which of the fillings would be causing it?
Maz
This message was modified Jan 24, 2011 by ru2on
Re: Whats in my mattress that it gives me Nightmares its Sooo Hot
Reply #1 Jan 24, 2011 11:30 PM
Hmm.  that 30 ml. layer of foam, could be a closed cell poly or memory foam.  That sounds like my experience with memory foam.  The heat buildup is killer in the summer.  Just an idea, can you unzip the mattress cover and just replace the 30 ml. layer with similar layer of latex?  It should be cooler than other foams as you have already experienced. 

Good luck

Reply #2 Jan 24, 2011 11:48 PM
Cowboy wrote:

Hmm.  that 30 ml. layer of foam, could be a closed cell poly or memory foam.  That sounds like my experience with memory foam.  The heat buildup is killer in the summer.  Just an idea, can you unzip the mattress cover and just replace the 30 ml. layer with similar layer of latex?  It should be cooler than other foams as you have already experienced. 

Good luck

Dont think its Memory foam , i think if they could call it something other than "foam" they would. :( . I cant unzip it its all stitched otherwise that would have been a good idea.  The Company has said they can at my expense remove the wool poly blend (and i think the foam) and replace it with aero flex. (isnt this just a foam with holes ?)  But this would end up costing me about $600 after having to pay delivery and then their costs .. and they say i have to sign something to say that if it comes back and its too hot then its not their problem.  Think i may as well put that money on a new mattress. :(

Reply #3 Jan 25, 2011 12:32 AM
Thats quite a bit of money to spend on a mattress that isn't working for you.  I couldn't find any useful info. on the replacement foam you posted, only a closed cell elastomer for insulation of pipes so I'm at a loss as what what aero flex really consists of and I'm not sure I would sign anything for them anyway.  I can think of a few of options.

1.  Is to refer to the highlighted threads section on this forum for mattress surgery, (not for the weak of heart).

2. Use the good materials in your mattress.  Salvage the 6" section of foundation latex and you mentioned another 3" layer to use as components to build your custom design latex mattress.  You would need to buy a two to three inch comfort layer (soft) for the top and a zippered mattress case.

or 3. Simply buy a latex mattress topper and use on top of what you have.

Best of luck

Reply #4 Jan 25, 2011 12:45 AM
Cowboy wrote:

Thats quite a bit of money to spend on a mattress that isn't working for you.  I couldn't find any useful info. on the replacement foam you posted, only a closed cell elastomer for insulation of pipes so I'm at a loss as what what aero flex really consists of and I'm not sure I would sign anything for them anyway.  I can think of a few of options.

1.  Is to refer to the highlighted threads section on this forum for mattress surgery, (not for the weak of heart).

2. Use the good materials in your mattress.  Salvage the 6" section of foundation latex and you mentioned another 3" layer to use as components to build your custom design latex mattress.  You would need to buy a two to three inch comfort layer (soft) for the top and a zippered mattress case.

or 3. Simply buy a latex mattress topper and use on top of what you have.

Best of luck

Thanks again for the reply , I have actually put the whole mattress into the too hard basket and think I will just put it in the spare room (probably upside down!!) and buy a new one , I think a king size this time so what i really need is to buy one with the top nothing like my current mattress but still soft enough not to cause hip pain.. any ideas ? .. oh and one that stays cool so i dont get the horror dreams :(, 

oh and ps i think they put the two words together and call it aeroflex 

This message was modified Jan 25, 2011 by ru2on

Recent Posts