Two Strikes And.....................
Nov 29, 2011 11:40 AM
This is REALLY starting to become a major pain in the azz (well actually in the back).

After deciding to try out a memory/visco (whatever) King size mattress, we went with the Sleep Innovation NovaForm Gel from Costco due to the return policy. Had it for a few weeks and it was just about as hard as a rock. Called Sleep Innovations and told them the story and was advised that the Nova Gel is their firmest mattress (nice of Costco to not say that in their description, huh?). The lady stated that their Roma Serra is the softest one. OK, so we order the Roma Serra, wait another 3 weeks until it arrives and set it up.

Well, that was almost 3 weeks ago and instead of getting better, my back pain has moved from the lower back to the middle back, only 10x worse I can't even lie in on my side without extreme pain.  My wife has pretty much the same issue, but slightly better.

So now, I am sitting here with 2 mattresses to return (Costco is 2 hours away and haven't had time to return #1 yet), and have pretty much written off foam mattresses, period.

I am not willing to take the $2500 Tempurpedic chance at all, especially after these two fiascos.

In looking for another Costco mattress online, the ONLY mattress that comes seperate (don't need a box as I had built an extra heav duty platform for the foam ones) is the Sealy Posturpedic Roseshore plush king which uses coils for support and various foams for top layers.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11698954&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|93|1924&N=4018918&Mo=25&No=22&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=67410&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Has anyone had experience with this Sealy mattress or does anyone have any idea as to where we should go from here? Note: Both side sleepers, both avg height and weight. I have had major spine surgery several years ago.

This message was modified Nov 29, 2011 by robertwhite
Re: Two Strikes And.....................
Reply #17 Dec 3, 2011 7:00 PM
budgy wrote:

Saying 2K for an 8" piece of foam is a rip off is totally arbitrary and counterproductive.  Not all foams are made equally. 

Perhaps Tempur-Pedic has a little bit of a premium because of their high advertising expenses...but the product is also denser.  I have compared the weight of 8" thick Tempur mattresses to 11"~12" thick ones made by Sleep Innovations...they weigh about the same...so the height difference is irrelevant, its roughly the same amount of actual material..and when it comes to polyfoams denser ones tend to perform better and are more costly to manufacture.  

Tempur may not be worth the premium 100% if you compare the materials cost...but if the mattress works really well for someone...then when do you say $2500 is too much for a good nights sleep...I totally agree with slpngoc...its whatever functions best for you.  

You seem to know a lot about watches...would I be remiss to guess that you probably own a watch thats worth about as much as the Costco memory foam mattress you tried?  

Let me reprase the $2K cost factor...... NO companies piece of foam is worth anywhere near $2K, period. Do you really have any doubt that at the $2K price, ($2500 with box spring/foundatio) that TP mattress is at least 600-800% profit? And that is their lowest priced mattress (King). Do you not think that a $5K price tag on their best model is not the biggest rip off in the bedding industry? Seriously, think about it for a minute.

I understand the advertising costs and the heavier/denser foam costs, but again, it is not $2K worth of material and labor, no matter how you slice it.

I agree that whatever works for a person is just fine. But if TP really wanted to "help" their customer base, they would price their beds realistically and sell a whole lot more to boot.

Do I have watches that cost as much as the Costco mattress? Absolutely. In fact several times more, BUT, I can turn around any day of the week and get what I paid for said watches or even more. A high end watch is not only mechanical art, but an investment too. A mattress (at any price) is just like an every day vehicle. Depreciates the second you sign on the dotted line.

Reply #18 Dec 3, 2011 7:06 PM
slpngoc wrote:

Me, sell mattresses for a living?  Never.

4 mattresses tried, one kept.  First one cost me nothing.  From a local maker, got full refund.  2nd mattress, the Stearns and Foster cost nothing.  Third one, a mistake in policy ended up costing $1300 ouch.  4th mattress the SleepEZ cost a mere $66 to return.  5th one is a keeper.

Sorry, I have you confused with another poster as far as the job details go.

As for your returned mattresses, over $1300 in return fees makes your Tempurpedic pretty pricey at well over $3K (for a twin?) That is not chicken scratch in anyone but a very well off persons view. You obviously also live in a large metro area where you have access to very large chain stores who have very liberal return policies. Many people do not. Plus, you live in a state that allows returns. If you did not, how much would that TP have cost by now, about $5K?

Re: Building a Better ZIL
Reply #19 Dec 3, 2011 7:17 PM
Joed wrote:

BUT sadly we have greedy capitalists that just want to dupe us, deceive us into buying garbage mattresses that have huge drawbacks and then we have salespeople that lie and lie.....trying their best to deceive us into buying garbage mattresses

We need the government to step in and force these mattress pimps to mend their ways.

It's always fascinating to find somebody who would trade the bewildering array of choices in the marketplace for the certainty of having a government minder decide for them.  Your experience with the government must be entirely theoretical. 

When the state steps in there will be one mattress available in medium firm poly, queen size only because that's what's best for most people. Memory foam kulaks and latex fetishes will be dealt with severely by the Mattress Czar and his bureau of experts.

If you learn nothing else on this forum it should be that one size does not fit all.  The endless variety of products and materials designed for different body types, budgets and preferences can only be provided by a for profit market. 

When the Soviet Union collapsed of its own internal contradictions (from each according to his ability, to each according to their need) I thought this nonsense about greed was finally put to rest, but ignorance and the appeal to envy continues to seduce the ego.

Reply #20 Dec 3, 2011 9:34 PM
robertwhite wrote:

Sorry, I have you confused with another poster as far as the job details go.

As for your returned mattresses, over $1300 in return fees makes your Tempurpedic pretty pricey at well over $3K (for a twin?) That is not chicken scratch in anyone but a very well off persons view. You obviously also live in a large metro area where you have access to very large chain stores who have very liberal return policies. Many people do not. Plus, you live in a state that allows returns. If you did not, how much would that TP have cost by now, about $5K?

The $1300 loss was due to this - I bought a Stearns and Foster set from Sears.  I used my one time exchange to get the iComfort from Sears which cost a net of $1500.  Didn't work.  I had to sell the iComfort on Craigslist, only got $175, so lost about $1300.

I don't know what your take is on the iComfort Serta brand, but consider this -

The Insight is iComfort's entry level mattress, like 8.75" thick.  It sells from Sears for $899 twin XL set + tax.  One trouble is the box spring is of terrible quality with that set.  I've seen the center bend in no time.  I don't know how good the mattress is or not, I didn't have that model at home.

so, the equivalent TP would be a Cloud which is usually $1450 for the twin XL set.  first off the foundation is a very sturdily constructed wood unit with reinforced top, and quite heavy to pick up.  The mattress has an air channel which is supposed to help with cooling.  So, it's $550 more and works for me.  Believe me, I'm not crying over the extra $550 cost of it over a Serta Insight.

I can't comment on states with no return policy.  That's pretty lousy considering one never knows how a mattress really is until they sleep on it for a few weeks.

This message was modified Dec 3, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #21 Dec 3, 2011 10:00 PM
robertwhite wrote:

Let me reprase the $2K cost factor...... NO companies piece of foam is worth anywhere near $2K, period. Do you really have any doubt that at the $2K price, ($2500 with box spring/foundatio) that TP mattress is at least 600-800% profit? And that is their lowest priced mattress (King). Do you not think that a $5K price tag on their best model is not the biggest rip off in the bedding industry? Seriously, think about it for a minute.

I understand the advertising costs and the heavier/denser foam costs, but again, it is not $2K worth of material and labor, no matter how you slice it.

I agree that whatever works for a person is just fine. But if TP really wanted to "help" their customer base, they would price their beds realistically and sell a whole lot more to boot.

Do I have watches that cost as much as the Costco mattress? Absolutely. In fact several times more, BUT, I can turn around any day of the week and get what I paid for said watches or even more. A high end watch is not only mechanical art, but an investment too. A mattress (at any price) is just like an every day vehicle. Depreciates the second you sign on the dotted line.

I don't disagree...but consider where Costco's pricing on these beds comes in, they buy bulk sans advertising costs and sell them in a store that is already profitable without a mattress section.  Part of the reason so many Tempurs sell is because they are profitable and have a low return rate (to the retailers themselves).  Consider for a moment that Tempur-Pedic does not really sell many beds direct to the end user, most are sold through retailers...if they lowered their prices and cut down on the profit potential there would be less reasons for sales people to sell them for Tempur-Pedic and they would in all likelihood sell less of them, ultimately a cut in sales and profit for each bed also lowers the amount of advertising they would be able to do and less people interested in buying as well.  I am not saying the beds are worth their weight in materials and labour, I totally agree with you there, probably the highest mark up around.  But I understand why they do it from a business perspective.  

All I am saying is that if a bed ultimately works, when do you say any price for a bed is unreasonabl?  Or how much would you pay for a good nights sleep?...there is also a possibility that there is not a memory foam product that may work for you, Tempur-Pedic or otherwise.  

If all you are concerned about is the dollars figure, and you obviously can afford more than the costco price based on your hobby (which by the way I am not knocking, I like the finer things in life too, watches are like a functional piece of art in many cases) but a watch cannot improve your quality of life the way a good nights sleep can.  You may want to consider broadening your options if you try another Costco bed and it doesn't pan out.  They are not known for selling the highest quality, they sell average to good mattresses with better than average prices and value, great return policies. 

Reply #22 Dec 15, 2011 7:03 PM
Just wondering how you found the Sealy Roseshore Firm mattress? Thinking about getting one. Was it a keeper?
Reply #23 Dec 15, 2011 9:08 PM
seekingmattress wrote:

Just wondering how you found the Sealy Roseshore Firm mattress? Thinking about getting one. Was it a keeper?

We wound up getting the RoseVille which is a plush instead of the RoseShore which is a plush Euro pillowtop.

They are carried instore and when I brought the other 2 sets back (not even a question why from the CS people) we picked it up. I am not using the box springs as not only are they 2 twins, but are much weaker than my custom platform. So far it is WAY better than the pure foam beds and my back does not hurt in the AM. It has foam over springs. I think the problem with the pure foam beds was the room temp. We keep the heat at 63 and even though it is fine for sleeping, it is too cold for the foam.

they're worth what people are willing to pay
Reply #24 Dec 17, 2011 7:41 AM
robertwhite wrote:

I bet you're not far off on those markup percentages vs. the budget versions at Sam's & Costco.  It's unfortunate that we're paying so much in part for TP's marketing campaign, but it's also true that TP's perform better & last much longer too.  I found this out first hand.  We have one of the cheaper ones from sams that you can already feel the beginnings of a body indention in, & it is only occassionally used in a guest bedroom.  Compared to my friend's bottom of the line TP that's over three times as old, is much thinner, & gets compressed by a 200+ pounder every night- with no performance degradation in the TP so far. Still sleeps better than our newer, thicker one from sams, to my back.  So advertising, markup %'s, & resale value aside, they're still "worth" whatever people are willing to pay, are satisfied with, & would buy again/recommend to a friend.  If you can't get past paying such a premium for a TP, then I'd say at least splurge on one of the higher end versions at the discount stores that publish specs for not only the MF comfort layer, but also the support core (eg 5lbs & 2lbs respectively).  Of course that can put even those into >$1k territory, but still a fraction the price of a TP, and might not result in serial returns & early indentions like the cheapest ones.  Would never do that again.

Really I'm with you on TP out of principle, & I too have since discovered there is no substitute for a spring component anyway (or use for MF), but I also wouldn't tell anyone they've been "ripped off" on a mattress that they paid thousands for & never looked back, then sleep well on it for years.  They don't care how much it cost to make, how much of their money went toward advertising, or what the resale value is.  THey just know it was worth the price to them for a good nights sleep.

Reply #25 Feb 6, 2012 1:36 PM
Unfortuneatley for my backand neck , laytex and memoryfoam have been the only way to go.   I had  a Englander laytex about 10yrs ago, it lasted 2yrs and got body impressions, Then a Restonic plush laytex which went 5yrs and got body impressions,  now have a firm memory foam generic that I am putting on  a topper and having to change every couple of years.  I went thru about 8 different spring mattresses in a 6 yr period before trying laytex, and yes that was expensive.  So far laytex have been the most comfortable for me, I am a back and side sleeper, the mattress can't be firm as when I sleep on my side a firm mattress shoves my should in and I get neck pains.  I read that to get a firm mattress and add toppers is the way to go and I have to agree.  I'm around the 5 year mark with this firm memory foam and have ordered the 3rd topper for it as the toppers get body impressions.  Toppers are getting more expensive, but they are cheaper than buying a new mattress. I think the mattress itself had only developed a small amount of impression at this time, I do use a water proof mattress cover on the memory foam mattress, and a normal cloth cover over the topper.  The plush Englander laytex was the most comfortable mattress I have felt, but the reviews online have them developing the hammock affect in months with a poor warranty from Enlander, Englanders plush individual pocketed spring mattress felt the next best, but as I tried a Bassett ages ago and it developed impressions in 2 yrs I am afraid to go back to individual pockets springs.  Am beginning to believe that all of these mattresses are just not designed to go past 5yrs without body impressions.  If you are fortuneate enough to be able to sleep on a firm mattress, they do appear to last longer, and if you don't have back or neck problems, then your mattress will last forever.
Reply #26 Feb 6, 2012 3:35 PM
I would try Flobeds with their great return policy with split layers and then you can adjust layers to get your own comfort for each side of the bed.  Having the cushion over firmness is the way to stop back pain ... at least for me as I sleep.

Recent Posts