Trouble getting comfortable with Latex, 1 year in
May 11, 2010 5:50 PM
I purchased a Talalay blended mattress from SleeptEZ about one year ago, and I've never really been able to get comfortable on it. When I first lay down, I love the way it feels, soft yet supportive, and very springy, yet after a short while pressure points start to build, mostly in my lower back, and I end up tossing throughout the night trying to get comfortable.

Since I have a 3 layer Soft-Medium-Firm split, I've tried swapping layers in every conceivable configuration, but I've still just never been able to avoid waking up with lower back pain in the morning. Since I've had a lot of time to try different things and think about what the problem is, I'm starting to think that the pusback/springyness of the latex is just too strong for me, even though the top layer of foam is soft. When I lay down on my couch with its cheap PU foam I feel more comfort than I do on the latex mattress. Maybe this means latex just isn't for me?

I'm curious what others think about the pushback effect of latex. Is this real, and can it be too much for some people? Is there anything I can try?

Thanks,
Jonathan

This message was modified May 11, 2010 by slantedview
Re: Trouble getting comfortable with Latex, 1 year in
Reply #23 May 18, 2010 7:50 PM
Leo3 wrote:

Jim, I think the 14ILD would go flat in no time.  I have the Brylane Home which is 1" Dunlopillo blended talalay and I think it is 18ILD (mine anyway).  This goes flat when I lay on it, so I don't think it does much for you.  I know Lynn likes hers, but she is thin in comparison to me, so consider how much you weigh first.  I still think a fluffy wool topper will help your back.

Leo, I have a 2" wool topper already. Sometimes I use it and sometimes I feel it causes lower back pain due to no support.

I'm thinking that surely a Talatech 14ILD will provide more support than a fluffy wool topper. Of course, I have been wrong before and I could be wrong again. But I'd like to try the soft latex.

Reply #24 May 18, 2010 8:07 PM
Did you get the natural or the blended Talalay?

mycakebed wrote:

The soft is like wet marshmellow. You sink right into it too much.
Reply #25 May 19, 2010 12:53 AM
jimsocal wrote:

Leo, I have a 2" wool topper already. Sometimes I use it and sometimes I feel it causes lower back pain due to no support.

I'm thinking that surely a Talatech 14ILD will provide more support than a fluffy wool topper. Of course, I have been wrong before and I could be wrong again. But I'd like to try the soft latex.

Jim, maybe your wool pad is more densely packed then my wool on top mattress pad, it looks like sheepskin rugs.  Of course mine will be going flat in time I am sure.  But yours is inside the cotton right?

Maybe you are right and the soft latex (if only 1") will fill in the small of your back for more comfort.  You got to keep trying right?  me too.

Reply #26 May 19, 2010 12:57 AM
olenska wrote:

While you are figuring out a solution, try placing a flattish pillow or two under your knees ( for back sleeping). this will take the stress off of the lower back. sleeping on the side, you would place a pillow between the knees

Good idea.  Then the small (lower back) will get some relief with a small pillow under the knees.

Reply #27 May 19, 2010 1:02 AM
mycakebed wrote:

When I read your post, It gave me a sinking feeling that my husband and I may be just like you. We have had our bed for a couple of weeks now, and our lower backs are hurting. I talked my husband into getting a latex bed from SleepEz, and now he is not very happy with my decision. I just had a baby a couple of months ago, so I was already dealing with lower back problems from the epidural. We have five kids, and I waited 15 years to get a new mattress, and now I am sad that it is not working out. I feel stubborn, and do not want to send mine back yet. But I'm beginning to think there is no combination that will work for us. Something makes me think that top layer is just too soft in the talalay. I wanted to switch it for a medium, but Shaun said there really is no difference. Do they not like taking the topper back?. makes me wonder. You mentioned getting a memory foam topper. Please think twice before doing that. They offgas, and are very bad for your health. I would think a nie soft talalay on top covered with a luxery cover would work. hope you find comfort soon. how is it that in the 50's people were fine with sleeping on latex, and even loved their latex pillows, but we have trouble. Maybe our bodies are just conditioned already to springs. I do however love my latex pillow even though it smells like tires, which I kinda like. My husband thinks his latex pillow is too hard. I got mine at JcPenny with a nice soft pillow cover on them. My biggest fear is that somehow this mattress is not good for the baby. I should have listened to Shaun and waited to buy this.

I am not sure how long you have had your Sleepeze bed, but have you talked to Shawn again?  Can he get you a 1" or 2" soft latex, and replace the soft 3" latex for a medium or firm?  I am getting the impression from many folks that 3" of soft is just too darn much soft for your back.

If you read Lynn's posts she uses 1" soft latex over a firm latex base.  For some people (light weight) this might be the solution.

As for the 50's Sears beds, wouldn't you like to have one of those to see what they are like?

This message was modified May 19, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #28 May 19, 2010 1:57 PM
I have lower back issues as well.  I think the Sleepez bed might not be the right configuration for you - the 3" soft layer on top might be too soft.

For myself, I have on one side of the bed, 3" of XF (36 ILD) over 3" of XF over 3" of XF, and on the other side, 3" of F (32 ILD) over 3" of XF over 3" of XF.  There is a 2" soft convoluted topper over all of that.

The XF/XF/XF side started out being my side, then I became attracted to my husband's F/XF/XF side and switched our layers around so that would be my side.  Although it is a little softer, my back is hurting again, so I'm about to go back to XF/XF/XF.

I feel the Sleepez mattress configuration might be too soft for those of us with back pain issues.  My daughter has the Sleepez mattress (10000 model)  in F/M/S, and the soft layer is definitely too soft for someone with back issues, although it's very comfy for a quick lie down or for someone who doesn't have back issues and likes a cushy mattress.

I would recommend you switch out that top layer for something firmer, and maybe even switch the middle layer to go one level firmer as well. 

The great thing about latex mattresses is our ability to exchange layers until we find what will work best for us.  Or, if it doesn't work at all, you have the 90 day trial period to return the whole mattress.  There's nothing to regret here, you are trying out a mattress - if you can't exchange layers to get it right for your back, or even after exchanging, you still can't get it right, you can return it.  That is a much better deal than what you would have gotten if you'd walked into a mattress shop and purchased a mattress there.  In a traditional mattress store, you may be able to do one mattress exchange, if you're lucky, but most won't let you return for a refund.

Reply #29 May 21, 2010 12:31 AM
I purchased a king-size 100% natural latex mattress from FloBeds last fall. It took me quite a while to get the adjustment correct. Even today there are times when one side of my bed, from the other, ( one side is firmer than the other) doesn't seem to be quite right.

So the very best advice I can give to anyone who is seriously considering latex is to give yourself plenty of time, and to purchase from a company that gives you unlimited exchanges for a reasonable period of time. And then has a hundred percent refund policy.

Once I got used to my latex bed ( I had previsously slept on a waterbeds for 20 years) I found that it gave me both excellent support and just the right amount of cushioning so that I could become comfortable and get a good nights sleep.

Again the principle point I want to make is to be patient with yourself and don't always blame the bed when a nights sleep doesn't go as well as you would like. There are many factors which can cause a person's body to not relax and sleep properly that are not due to the mattress.

This message was modified May 21, 2010 by eagle2
Reply #30 May 21, 2010 1:02 AM
Leo3 wrote:

I am not sure how long you have had your Sleepeze bed, but have you talked to Shawn again?  Can he get you a 1" or 2" soft latex, and replace the soft 3" latex for a medium or firm?  I am getting the impression from many folks that 3" of soft is just too darn much soft for your back.

If you read Lynn's posts she uses 1" soft latex over a firm latex base.  For some people (light weight) this might be the solution.

As for the 50's Sears beds, wouldn't you like to have one of those to see what they are like?

Leo, thanks for the idea. My layers were soft over soft over medium. I now lay on a 2" soft talalay over medium then firm on the bottom. It still feels too soft. Wish I would have gotten Dunlop in the bottom layers. I want to replace that too soft top layer, but I'm not sure if they allow you to return the topper?. and yes it would be nice to sleep on an old classic Sears latex. I figure if it was good enough for our folks back then, then it's good enough today...

Reply #31 Jul 20, 2010 5:46 PM
i too have been a bit surprised by "the pushback effect of latex". i thought i would really like it since i love my latex pillows, but i have found that latex makes me toss and turn all night and it feels like i am sleeping on a rubber tire. whatever part of me is touching the mattress feels like it is pushing on me and i feel like i am fighing the mattress all night. the good news is, my back doesn't hurt. but the bad is that it feels hard. i am going to experiment with a really soft layer on top.... maybe a 14ild as was suggested? right now there is a fiber bed on top to soften it, but it is still too hard.

btw, i LOVE my costco fiberbed. right now i have it doubled up on the latex (still too hard) it feels like sleeping on a cloud and definitely takes the edge off of a hard sleeping surface.

while latex is healthy, i also am not loving the odor. i have a good nose and i wake up smelling like rubber. it really permeates everything including myself.  apparently, the ability to smell latex is a genetic thing, my husband can smell it but it doesn't bother him, but for me it is the first thing i smell when i walk in the front door. i'm hoping it eventually goes away???

Reply #32 Jul 20, 2010 5:57 PM
jasmine wrote:

i too have been a bit surprised by "the pushback effect of latex". i thought i would really like it since i love my latex pillows, but i have found that latex makes me toss and turn all night and it feels like i am sleeping on a rubber tire. whatever part of me is touching the mattress feels like it is pushing on me and i feel like i am fighing the mattress all night. the good news is, my back doesn't hurt. but the bad is that it feels hard. i am going to experiment with a really soft layer on top.... maybe a 14ild as was suggested? right now there is a fiber bed on top to soften it, but it is still too hard.

btw, i LOVE my costco fiberbed. right now i have it doubled up on the latex (still too hard) it feels like sleeping on a cloud and definitely takes the edge off of a hard sleeping surface.

while latex is healthy, i also am not loving the odor. i have a good nose and i wake up smelling like rubber. it really permeates everything including myself.  apparently, the ability to smell latex is a genetic thing, my husband can smell it but it doesn't bother him, but for me it is the first thing i smell when i walk in the front door. i'm hoping it eventually goes away???

I have never been satistified with all latex.  I use 1" of Sensus memory foam (about 14ILD) on top and a wool topper to create a different feel and less push back.  Sensus is not too expensive at overstock (not sure if it is totally authentic but it works okay).  Of course, memory foam has its own smell issues, so I aired it out with a fan for a couple of days.

Recent Posts