Tempur-Pedic didn't work for my wife, need help on other options!
Jul 12, 2010 4:40 PM
We recently replaced our aging lumpy 10 year old standard king-size mattress with a Tempur-Pedic (Classic Bed model) that is amazing for me, but utterly wrong for my wife (a side sleeper with mild Scoliosis).  

Although we have a fabulous Simon Celebration twin from 1998 occasionally used as a guest bed, the twin is too small for both of us to comfortably sleep – and it would only be an interim fix while we find the right-king sized bed.  And since we’re unable to decode the Simon tag and determine a matching, firm modern-day equivalent king-size version, we’re still stuck trying to solve my wife’s newfound Tempur-Pedic induced backaches.

We’re unsure how to find something similar to the Simon Celebration – and, once found, whether we should get a king version for both of us (which would work), or if we can split the bed into two twins – one for her side, one for mine – and whether that would work as long as we matched the 9” height of the Tempur-Pedic.

Any advice on a good firm bed (like our Simon) having two halves (a spring and a Tempur-Pedic) or any other good mattress recommendation?

This message was modified Jul 12, 2010 by dugn
Re: Tempur-Pedic didn't work for my wife, need help on other options!
Reply #1 Jul 13, 2010 12:56 PM
I think your mistake was in going with the Classic.  If your wife has scoliosis and is a side sleeper, my guess is she probably needed a FIRMER model to give her the support she needs.  Something like a Rhapsody or higher model with the HD Tempur foam on top.

The current S brand mattresses aren't made the way they used to be.  My old S brand mattress had layers of cotton and wool over the springs.  It lasted 15 years before it needed replacing and was a wonderful bed.  The new S brand mattresses are made with PU foam that will break down and leave craters where you sleep.  This won't help your wife''s issues.

My suggestion is that you 1) return the Tempurpedic and set up a temporary situation while you do thorough research into mattresses (e.g., just get a blow up air bed for awhile).

Many people who have been disappointed with the current crap offered by the S brand companies have looked into Tempurpedic, other memory foam, and latex.  You could research replacing the Classic with a Rhapsody or Bella Fina (Budgy on this forum could advise you about the model that would probably best suit your wife's needs).

You could look into latex mattresses, which have been a god-send for me.  Latex mattresses are just beginning to build a following in the US, and if might be tough to find a showroom that has one you can try, but I think they have the qualities that could provide sleeping comfort for your wife.  You'll need to do your own research, but start here:

www.flobeds.com

www.sleepez.com

and be sure to watch the videos on the websites and read all the info about latex.

I ran into this forum, and information about latex mattresses, quite by accident, and I took the leap of faith and bought one.  My screaming, aching back and hips have felt better than they have in years.  Every day I lay on my latex mattress is a day of pure pleasure.

And no, I'm not a mattress salesperson, I'm a realtor with an aching back :)

Reply #2 Jul 13, 2010 2:06 PM
I agree with your wife...the memory foam isn't for everyone.  If you really liked your old bed and still have it around...open it up and find out what is in it.  Kimberly is right when she said that beds used to have cotton batting and other good stuff in there and now the big brands just throw in cheap PU foam and sew it shut.  Cheap PU foam does not hold up.  Memory foam can be much better and longer lasting, but it is a different feel.  Latex is longest lasting but it also feels different. 

If you can find a custom bed manufacturer to make a bed for you based on the components of your old bed, that would be a good scenario.  Probably cost less, too, unless you pick one of the real high priced ones.  I had my bed custom made and it is a good bed. 

Kait

Reply #3 Jul 13, 2010 2:17 PM
KimberlyH wrote:

I think your mistake was in going with the Classic.  If your wife has scoliosis and is a side sleeper, my guess is she probably needed a FIRMER model to give her the support she needs.  Something like a Rhapsody or higher model with the HD Tempur foam on top.

The current S brand mattresses aren't made the way they used to be.  My old S brand mattress had layers of cotton and wool over the springs.  It lasted 15 years before it needed replacing and was a wonderful bed.  The new S brand mattresses are made with PU foam that will break down and leave craters where you sleep.  This won't help your wife''s issues.

My suggestion is that you 1) return the Tempurpedic and set up a temporary situation while you do thorough research into mattresses (e.g., just get a blow up air bed for awhile).

Many people who have been disappointed with the current crap offered by the S brand companies have looked into Tempurpedic, other memory foam, and latex.  You could research replacing the Classic with a Rhapsody or Bella Fina (Budgy on this forum could advise you about the model that would probably best suit your wife's needs).

You could look into latex mattresses, which have been a god-send for me.  Latex mattresses are just beginning to build a following in the US, and if might be tough to find a showroom that has one you can try, but I think they have the qualities that could provide sleeping comfort for your wife.  You'll need to do your own research, but start here:

www.flobeds.com

www.sleepez.com

and be sure to watch the videos on the websites and read all the info about latex.

I ran into this forum, and information about latex mattresses, quite by accident, and I took the leap of faith and bought one.  My screaming, aching back and hips have felt better than they have in years.  Every day I lay on my latex mattress is a day of pure pleasure.

And no, I'm not a mattress salesperson, I'm a realtor with an aching back :)

Kim, The blow up air beds, I have been told do not work as the air in them gets out very soon and I have also been told that they can lose air in half a night as you asre sleeping on them? But I never had an air bed so I don't know if all these things are true.

What else would you suggest as temporary solution. Thanks kim.

Reply #4 Jul 14, 2010 1:02 AM
I used to have an airbed I used as a guest bed, and it lasted a few years before giving out.  My guests tend to come for five weeks at a time, so it got constant use for extended periods.

I only suggest it as an inexpensive, temporary measure until people can complete their research and make informed decisions, rather than making impulse decisions based on an immediate need.

Our mattresses are expensive durable goods, and a mistake can be very costly indeed.

Reply #5 Jul 14, 2010 2:23 AM
KimberlyH wrote:

I used to have an airbed I used as a guest bed, and it lasted a few years before giving out.  My guests tend to come for five weeks at a time, so it got constant use for extended periods.

I only suggest it as an inexpensive, temporary measure until people can complete their research and make informed decisions, rather than making impulse decisions based on an immediate need.

Our mattresses are expensive durable goods, and a mistake can be very costly indeed.

Thanks Kim, Do you remember what make and  model it was? Thanks kim.

This message was modified Jul 14, 2010 by roy1
Reply #6 Jul 15, 2010 12:48 AM
Aerobed
Thanks, KimberlyH and Kait!
Reply #7 Sep 7, 2010 3:34 PM

KimberlyH - thanks for the great tips and insights.  This was the only one of 4 discussion boards that responded to my inquiry.  And your responses were very helpful!

In the end, after errantly getting a Calder Firm (way too firm - instant backaches for both of us), we settled on a Twin XL Tempur-pedic Classic for me and a much higher end Beatyrest le Blanc firm with a layer of their NXG foam.  The needed firmness is still there, but it's heavilly tempered with a great layer of the NXG.

Slammed together with the Sealy on a shallower box spring, we're in a very comfortable 'half-and-half' bed that works perfectly for both of our needs.

Thanks again for your help and insights

Recent Posts