Is the Tempur Cloud-Luxe worth the extra $1,,000 over Cloud Supreme?
Jul 17, 2011 7:46 PM
After tons of trying mattresses out in the stores, crunching numbers, weighing the pros & cons of each mattress on paper & in real life & trying to find/talk myself into something that is not $3,500, I'm going to have to go with the Tempur Cloud Supreme or Rhapsody. I was hoping the iComfort Revolution or Dormia would suffice, but the Dormia had way too much motion transfer & the iComfort gave me the hammock feeling & I'm a skinny guy at 130 lbs.

Anyway, I think I'll buy the Cloud Supreme & try it for at least 30 days & exchange it for the Rhapsody if need be. However, before I do buy anything I wanted to see if anyone could chime in on the Cloud-Luixe. Looks like it has a layer of the HD foam under the top layer and that seems to be the only difference vs the Supreme. Is the Luxe really worth the extra $1,000?

Re: Is the Tempur Cloud-Luxe worth the extra $1,,000 over Cloud Supreme?
Reply #8 Jul 21, 2011 2:30 PM
So I am about 75 days into my Cloude Luxe. I got a good deal on it which pushed me over the edge into buying it.  I like the mattress, my wife loves it.  I am sending it back because after about 2 months the feel changed.  I think the ES foam has too much give and as it naturally degrades a little bit over time (all foam softens), I get the sensation that I am sleeping in a hole with my arms too elevated.  I now get lower back pain in the morning which forces me to get out of bed. 

I DO sleep very well on it, but the fact that I get pain in the morning tells me I should be doing something different.  I do like the bed and I do like Tempurpedics.  I am thinking of the Rhapsody bed at this point.  If you are near Boston, I will give you a deal you cant refuse on my King Size tempurpedic ;)

Reply #9 Jul 21, 2011 9:35 PM
robster wrote:

So I am about 75 days into my Cloude Luxe. I got a good deal on it which pushed me over the edge into buying it.  I like the mattress, my wife loves it.  I am sending it back because after about 2 months the feel changed.  I think the ES foam has too much give and as it naturally degrades a little bit over time (all foam softens), I get the sensation that I am sleeping in a hole with my arms too elevated.  I now get lower back pain in the morning which forces me to get out of bed. 

I DO sleep very well on it, but the fact that I get pain in the morning tells me I should be doing something different.  I do like the bed and I do like Tempurpedics.  I am thinking of the Rhapsody bed at this point.  If you are near Boston, I will give you a deal you cant refuse on my King Size tempurpedic ;)

Wish I was. I'm in PA. What kind of deal? I thought Tempur set the prices & what we see on the price tag in all stores is the price regardless.

Reply #10 Jul 22, 2011 1:30 PM
I'm in the same back pain deliemma as with my Cloud Luxe but to fair, I recently moved and I might have tweaked it during the move. Was sleeping on a aerobed until I got my bed and was getting the same back pain, now sleeping on the Cloud Luxe, I get back pain sometimes when I wake up. No pain all day but sore in the morning until I get going. The best feels super comfortable when lying in it but waking up in pain isn't ideal. So yes, we bought a split king, meaning two Twin XL beds pushed together, my wife has a rhapsody so I slept on that for a couple of days, I started to get even worse back pain. The weird thing is the back pain isn't contant, some mornings I have it and others I don't. Never experienced back pain sleeping before my move and before I got the new beds. I'm 33 and relatively fit. So I can't get relief from the soft Cloud Luxe or Hard Rhapsody... I may have to return the bed but the both beds causing back pain is perplexing me. I slept on the classic original tempurpedic for at least 5 years before I got married, so I am used to memory foam.

As for pricing, places do discount but if they get caught, they may lose their dealership. But it is possible, I got a big discount but I won't reveal it to anyone on the internet since I don't want them to get caught.

Reply #11 Jul 24, 2011 12:45 AM
moolman wrote:

I'm in the same back pain deliemma as with my Cloud Luxe but to fair, I recently moved and I might have tweaked it during the move. Was sleeping on a aerobed until I got my bed and was getting the same back pain, now sleeping on the Cloud Luxe, I get back pain sometimes when I wake up. No pain all day but sore in the morning until I get going. The best feels super comfortable when lying in it but waking up in pain isn't ideal. So yes, we bought a split king, meaning two Twin XL beds pushed together, my wife has a rhapsody so I slept on that for a couple of days, I started to get even worse back pain. The weird thing is the back pain isn't contant, some mornings I have it and others I don't. Never experienced back pain sleeping before my move and before I got the new beds. I'm 33 and relatively fit. So I can't get relief from the soft Cloud Luxe or Hard Rhapsody... I may have to return the bed but the both beds causing back pain is perplexing me. I slept on the classic original tempurpedic for at least 5 years before I got married, so I am used to memory foam.

As for pricing, places do discount but if they get caught, they may lose their dealership. But it is possible, I got a big discount but I won't reveal it to anyone on the internet since I don't want them to get caught.

Send me an email then? victrola901 @ yahoo . com - Without the spaces obviously. The split king is a nice idea, but I don't want a seam in the middle of my bed.

I got to try the Luxe & Supreme back to back today. Definitely felt the difference, but is the Luxe worth $1,000 more? I am not so sure. I was expecting the Luxe to be a tad more firm than it was due to it having the HD foam layer.

I also tried all the spring mattresses in the store. A couple pillowtops were not too bad & I know they have wiggle room on price. Still no idea what I will end up buying. This is a lot of $ & the retailers or manufacturers do everything they can to not let you make an informed decision. I guess I could always buy a pillowtop spring & if it does not work for me, exchange it for the Cloud Supreme & then if still no good, exchange that for the Luxe & then just return it all together if I am still not satisfied. No matter what I do, I will keep my current mattress in case I do have to return whatever I buy. Can't be caught with no bed.

Reply #12 Jul 24, 2011 1:38 AM
Pillowtop mattress get poor reviews.  The foam in the pillowtops breaks down quickly.  Do not purchase a pillowtop mattress.
Reply #13 Jul 24, 2011 10:45 AM
Just adding my vote to what sleepswithcats says. Do not buy a pillowtop. As tempting as they are, that cloud-like feeling will very quickly deteriorate. You'll end up sleeping in a hole and go through hell trying to get your warranty honored.
Reply #14 Jul 24, 2011 4:42 PM
 I love the Cloud Supreme, but I'm worried that it may not support me enough. However, I am only 130 lbs so maybe that is a non-issue at my weight.

Reply #15 Jul 26, 2011 2:15 AM
Well, if you weigh 130 and worried about support on the Cloud Luxe, what about me? I'm 210 and as an update, the back pain I mentioned went away, I think it was just a kink from my moving since both beds did give me back pain. Hopefully, it stays away, I do have the adjustable Prodigy bases but I've been sleeping on them flat on purpose to make sure the bed wasn't causing me back pain, since you can pretty much put yourself in an array of positions so your back doesn't hurt regardless of bed.

As for where I bought the bed, I don't want to get my dealer in trouble, I'm sure the tempurpedic people can read this forum but I saw in the previous post where you live and I'm on the other side of the country anyway. My advice, don't go to a big chain, go to a smal shop and bargain, that's what I did and I got a huge discount.

Reply #16 Jul 26, 2011 9:46 AM
moolman wrote:

Well, if you weigh 130 and worried about support on the Cloud Luxe, what about me? I'm 210 and as an update, the back pain I mentioned went away, I think it was just a kink from my moving since both beds did give me back pain. Hopefully, it stays away, I do have the adjustable Prodigy bases but I've been sleeping on them flat on purpose to make sure the bed wasn't causing me back pain, since you can pretty much put yourself in an array of positions so your back doesn't hurt regardless of bed.

As for where I bought the bed, I don't want to get my dealer in trouble, I'm sure the tempurpedic people can read this forum but I saw in the previous post where you live and I'm on the other side of the country anyway. My advice, don't go to a big chain, go to a smal shop and bargain, that's what I did and I got a huge discount.

Small stores run the risk of closing up shop. If that happens & I need an exchange, I'm screwed.

Reply #17 Jul 27, 2011 4:01 AM
When I say small store, I mean, not Sleep train, Sleepys etc. The store I went to has been in business for decades, I just call it small because it's a small chain. They won't close down in the 3 months, but then again, many stores can close down at any moment in this economy, so that's a pretty weird thing to be worried about.

Recent Posts