Synthetic latex vs. Polyurethane foam
May 31, 2010 8:06 PM
I am still searching for the right bed and have narrowed it down to a few a like. It seems like the best option would be one of the online choices of latex mattresses, but I am a little hesitant to buy without being able to lay on them. One of the mattresses I found is a Sealy Springfree Beachside and has a synthetic latex core, the other is a Lotus Asana plush made by PranaSleep and that one has a poly core with two inches of latex on top . My question is, since they are both made from chemicals will there be much of a difference in durability or is the synthetic latex still better. I am still considering a Simmons Black coil mattress, but would really like to give foam a try. Let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks.
Re: Synthetic latex vs. Polyurethane foam
Reply #5 Jun 4, 2010 2:00 AM
last I heard the new Sealy latex mattresses are now apparently using blended latex cores.....this is what they are labelling as 'smart latex'. 

In any event there is nothing wrong with a good quality blended core, myself and some others definitely prefer 100% natural for other reasons, it is a great product. 

Chemically natural rubber and synthetic latex are two very different compositions.  A blended latex core will be very durable just like an all natural core.  A 100% synthetic latex core would be quite brittle and much more likely to crumble over time. 

Reply #6 Jun 5, 2010 11:01 PM
budgy wrote:

last I heard the new Sealy latex mattresses are now apparently using blended latex cores.....this is what they are labelling as 'smart latex'. 

In any event there is nothing wrong with a good quality blended core, myself and some others definitely prefer 100% natural for other reasons, it is a great product. 

Chemically natural rubber and synthetic latex are two very different compositions.  A blended latex core will be very durable just like an all natural core.  A 100% synthetic latex core would be quite brittle and much more likely to crumble over time. 

Yeah, that's the question I was wondering. Is it synthetic or blended? Do any of the S co's to your knowledge, use blended latex aside from Sealy? And is it comparable to LI Talatech? Or does Sealy make it themselves and "who knows?"? It is interesting that after years of telling people about latex on this site, the S Co's are starting to offer it, albeit synthetic or blended.

Reply #7 Jun 6, 2010 1:58 AM
Sealy not too long ago really was using all synthetic latex.  Now they are using LI blended as far as I know, as well as the other major brands.  What other materials these companies choose to use in "latex" mattresses outside of blended cores or blended top pieces seems to be a whole other story and that has always been the limiting factor with these brands.
Reply #8 Jun 6, 2010 3:37 AM
jimsocal wrote:

It is interesting that after years of telling people about latex on this site, the S Co's are starting to offer it, albeit synthetic or blended.

This Latex Mattress Comparison Chart may be of interest to you.

jimsocal wrote:

Yeah, that's the question I was wondering. Is it synthetic or blended? Do any of the S co's to your knowledge, use blended latex aside from Sealy? And is it comparable to LI Talatech? Or does Sealy make it themselves and "who knows?"?

Don't know about Sealy, but according to their website, Serta uses "Talalay Latex" in their Vera Wang by Serta Specialty® Talalay Latex Foam Beds. But what kind of Talalay? If you click on the link and then scroll down (on their little inset scroll, not your browser's main scroll), the last sentence states, "For more information on our Talalay latex, visit www.latexfoam.com." Clicking on that link takes you to none other than (drum roll, please...) Latex International's website.

If you do a little more digging and put two and two together, it becomes apparent that Serta uses LI Talatech in not just their Vera Wang Specialty mattresses but their Pure Response latex mattresses as well. Can't confirm one way or the other about their Luxury Response mattresses, but as you'll see later, that probably doesn't matter.

Here are some links if you want to read more about these three Serta lines:

Serta Vera Wang (6 models) at Mattress Joint

Serta Luxury Response (3 models) & Serta Pure Response (4 models) at US-Mattress.com

To save you some time, let me summarize what I found:

Luxury Response line — Uses PU foam cores.sad

Pure Response line — Each of the models use a 6" Talalay Latex Core on a 2" Base (they don't say what the base is). Unfortunately, each model has PU foam over the latex, though the Splendour Latex Firm does have just one very small layer, so pretty good there.

Only in the Vera Wang line does it seem you can get a pretty much all-latex mattress. The bottom two of the six models use 6" foam cores, so they're out. One of the other four uses some memory foam. Another uses 1" of "comfort" (read PU) foam... again not too bad, kind of like the Pure Response Splendour Latex Firm mentioned above. Finally, two (the Beyond Exquisite and the Beyond Joy) apparently use latex only. I say apparently because I wonder about that 8" Talalay core. Is it really 8" of all Talalay, or is it really a 6"-Talalay-on-2"-base like the Pure Response line? It probably is all Talalay, since both MJ and AMOC (see next paragraph) describe it as such. Also... is there some convoluted foam in the quilting material (again see next paragraph)?

The only other site where I found Vera Wang Specialty mattresses was America's Mattress OC. The names of their models are different (of courseangry), but the models seem similar. I noticed that all these models mention a "soft convoluted topper" sewn into the quilting material, so apparently there is a little bit of PU in these. This makes me think that the same might be true of the VWs from MJ.

This message was modified Jun 6, 2010 by pianoman
Reply #9 Jun 7, 2010 4:32 AM
Typical S brand b.s.. Don't disclose everything, make people dig for it and even then don't disclose EVERYthing... As a mattress sales guy on this forum once said, "The public doesn't want to know, anyway." Well, whether the public wants to know or not, they should make the specs available to those who do want to know. Argghhh! I hate them!
Reply #10 Jun 7, 2010 10:38 PM
jimsocal wrote:

Typical S brand b.s.. Don't disclose everything, make people dig for it and even then don't disclose EVERYthing... As a mattress sales guy on this forum once said, "The public doesn't want to know, anyway." Well, whether the public wants to know or not, they should make the specs available to those who do want to know. Argghhh! I hate them!

Totally agree!!

Reply #11 Jun 7, 2010 10:44 PM
Thanks everyone. I still havn't bought a new bed mainly because I don't want to make another $2000 mistake. I still have a couple questions though. The Lotus by Pranasleep uses a polycore and from what I was told is that it would theoretically last longer than a coil mattress because there are no moving parts like springs. I brought up the fact that typically what fails most in mattresses is the pu foam and they said that since it is in the core and not the top that it would last longer. I wanted to get your thoughts on that. Also I have been reading up on here that some people just can't get used to an all latex mattress so my question is what kind of sleeper would benefit from a coil mattress vs. an all latex mattress? I did lay on the Sealy Beachside and it was pretty comfortable, but noticed slightly more lower back/hip pain than on the Simmons Olivia plush/firm. Not sure if it might just be the dunlop synthetic latex they use which I've heard tends to be harder than talalay. I have to say I am a little taken back by all of the negative thoughts on the main brand mattress companies only from the standpoint that it would seem that if all these reviews were representative of the general population then they would be either out of business or the FTC would step in and do something about it. Either way, right now I am leaning towards one of the online latex brands because if I am not happy with it then I can return it.
Reply #12 Jun 8, 2010 1:29 AM
You can get latex mattresses with PU cores for a lot less than $2000 if you look hard enough.....

personally if I had any reason to believe these mattresses would be truly durable and functional on the same level as an all latex build I would carry them as they would likely be much easier to sell with less price resistance...but I choose not to carry them over these concerns....outside of some exceptions, (costco when they have them in stock, and some smaller online retailers) at that price range or under...you should still probably look to coils as the best overall mattress.

Reply #13 Jun 8, 2010 7:13 PM
I don't think they were comparing them to an all latex bed, they just seemed to think the foam mattress would be more durable than a coil mattress in the same price range. Also still looking for an answer on what kind of sleeper would prefer a latex mattress or a coil mattress. Thanks for all the help.
Reply #14 Jun 11, 2010 1:25 AM
Mike22 wrote:

Also still looking for an answer on what kind of sleeper would prefer a latex mattress or a coil mattress. Thanks for all the help.

There is no answer to this question.  Everything is personal preference.  A lot of us have lower back pain, shoulder pain, hip pain, pinched nerves, fibro, weight issues, or a combination of all of the above.  Our bodies respond differently and we have different preferences. 

For myself, I am a heavy (>250) side sleeper with lower back pain (arthritis), hip pain, and pinched nerves, and I went with a blended Talalay latex mattress.  My configuration is quite firm, three layers of 36 ILD latex, and a 2" soft topper over that.  My latex mattress has helped my back and hip issues. 

Some people just don't like an all latex bed and want to feel some springs.  Some people are still trying to get it right after years of fussing with their mattress.

Recent Posts