Springs not foam, make the difference
May 16, 2009 12:40 PM
Took me over a month to really learn the difference through trial and error, but I made my decision.  I just purchased a queen mattress set, firm, made in a small factory where only 30 mattresses are made daily.   All of them by hand, using coils, cotton batting and just a small amount of foam under the top surface, and they are flippable!  And the real box spring is composed of coils, cotton and wood, not just wood and a cover.  A month ago I originally piurchased a top of the line Symbol Comfortec Firm, with split box (made of wood and fabric only) and had it for 2 weeks and it began to sink in the center.  After complaing to the manufacturer and dealer, I was lucky enough to get my money back which is very unusual.  When I went into THAT store and said I wanted a mattress with NO foam, memorey foam, etc., due to having  had back surgery, and I needed a very frim mattress. I somehow wound up with a foam encased , one sided mattress, about 13 inches high, with about 7 inches of foam on the top.   And I was in pain every morning due due all of that foam.   So, after wising up and constant internet research, I believe that a mattress needs springs/coils for the best support and very little foam, and a box spring that has just that, springs.   So I am well pleased with my soon to be delivered mattress set made of hand turned coils and flippable, and genuine Box Spring foundation.
This message was modified May 16, 2009 by Marybeth
Re: Springs not foam, make the difference
Reply #1 May 17, 2009 7:04 PM
I hope it works out for you. I too have some back problems and find that springs with little foam is the best option form me.
Reply #2 May 18, 2009 5:25 PM
jankdc, what mattress are you using, that you like?
Marybeth, I am glad this is working for you. How much was this mattress and what brand is it?

I am considering trying springs again some day if I can find some really good ones without buying an expensive mattress - just the springs to put my own foam on top of...

I don't think EVERYONE needs springs. In the past - before my back and neck etc. problems - I was able to sleep on pure HR foam without having any problems. I also think those who like latex, do find that springs are not necessary. And SOME people do love Tempurpedic though I found it too soft after a few weeks and sent it back.

Everyone is different, so it's hard to make blanket statements about what is good and what isn't. Hell, SOME people even sleep find on crappy S mattresses with 5" of cheap junky pu foam on top of the so-so springs...
Reply #3 May 18, 2009 10:47 PM
Jim, I was sleeping best on a pocket coil futon mattress from Norka futon. I'm now sleeping on the Original Mattress Factory "Legacy Firm". If you are sleeping with two twins next to each other, don't go with the pocket coils. Go with the bonnell or offset coils. Call around and see if you have a small manufacturer in your area.
Reply #4 May 19, 2009 2:48 AM
Hi,every body,nice to come here again!Remember,that we spend one third of our life in bed.speep well at night ensures our better perform at our jobs,also we can spend more time with our families withour feeling tired,most importantly,we look much healthier than those not sleep well at night.Here I'd like to suggest Shenzhen AiDi Furniture Co,.Ltd to all of you,this company produce different kinds of mattresses to meet people's needs.Right now I am using her mattress,spring with a little memory foam top,it is great.After using it,everyting changed,improved better and better,you can feel the effect soon.If you want to look for this mattress,contact Alan,who is the staff from this company,his e-mail:aidiwin@gmail.com.
Reply #5 May 19, 2009 3:02 AM
Alan,do you have any new products?my customers are looking for new mattress and sofa,can you offer?
Reply #6 May 20, 2009 9:08 PM
Well, my mattress set from Original Mattress Factory arrived tuesday, and I was totally impressed with the ultra-professional delivery personnel and how efficiently they maneuvered the queen mattress up two flights of stairs and around an awkward turn....without squishing the mattress. The other store who delivered my former Symbol, just crammed it around the bend, pushed it, etc., And last night sleeping was a dream come true. Originally I had purchased a Legacy firm set, for $539 plus an up-charge for split box. But the day before, I drove to the store, about 45 minutes away, one last time for a "sleep" test, and was glad I did! I changed my order and upgraded to an orthopedic extra firm set, for $669. It felt so much more comfortable and I could feel the different type of springs, which were much closer together, under my body, and I liked that extra "hard" feeling of support under every inch of by back. I loved the Legacy, but hesitated at the difference in cost. But I am worth the extra $130. So my first night on the ortho-extra firm was wonderful. Thanks for your response.
This message was modified May 20, 2009 by Marybeth
Reply #7 May 21, 2009 2:46 PM
Glad you found something that works for you.
Please report back if you change your mind, or if in, say 3 years, you are still enjoying it.
We tend to not hear the POSITIVE reports on mattresses that last a long time, only those which don't.
Reply #8 May 23, 2009 9:46 PM
Marybeth, congrats on your purchase. Let us know how it is doing. Personally, I am really enjoying our Legacy firm. My wife and I were talking today about how we are both getting used to the mattress and that we are no longer waking each other up.
Reply #9 Jun 23, 2009 5:57 PM
I find that the offset coils, LuraFlex, along with a nice combination of one thin layer of high density PU foam under firm talalay latex layers, a zippered quilted cover, crowned by an Omalon foam topper and finally by an Ultimate Cuddlebed topper is what my back loves! This sits on a firm foundation of wood and steel.

jankdc wrote:
Jim, I was sleeping best on a pocket coil futon mattress from Norka futon. I'm now sleeping on the Original Mattress Factory "Legacy Firm". If you are sleeping with two twins next to each other, don't go with the pocket coils. Go with the bonnell or offset coils. Call around and see if you have a small manufacturer in your area.

Recent Posts