Spring, Latex, or both
May 24, 2012 12:50 PM
I'm looking into a new bed.  Stumbling across this site has enlightened me, but also has posed more questions that has answered.  Here is what I'm considering for bedding.  Let me know what you think, or if all my ideas are bad.

I'm heavyset and sleep on my stomach.  My wife is a side sleeper and about half my size. I tend to sleep hot, so that is why I've disqualifed memory foam from the discussion

This is all based on a king sized mattress

Option 1.  Latex Mattress.  A local mattress manufacturer has 8" natural latex mattresses for $879 list.  They may negotiate.  I don't know the firmness at this point, but I had not discounted the possiblitiy of putting a nice topper on it to soften it up.  I've also looked a FBM and their 6" mattress is a bit less just over $700.  From what I've read about the firmness of there medium mattress, I would need a soft topper definitely.  I always prefer supporting local small businesses if possible, so if it is a wash between the two, I'd prefer to go local.

Option 2.  Basic firm innerspring mattress with a nice topper.  The local place has them priced at about $399.  They are not bonnell or pocket springs, but another type.  I don't remember what they called it.

Option 3.  I think I'm leaning away from this, but my last option is the traditional fluffy innerspring mattress.  The local place had complete sets for $699 that seemed to be nice quality, but I'm not an expert.  I suppose I could ask to look at the factory but even then I don't know good foam from bad..

Lastly, they did have a gel foam bed, that was in between memory foam and latex cost.  I know this is supposed to be cooler than memory foam, and I'm not sure how it compares to latex.

Looking forward to some good input on this.  Thanks in advance.

This message was modified May 24, 2012 by Jtfoster
Re: Spring, Latex, or both
Reply #1 May 25, 2012 1:17 AM
Not much anybody can tell you. You like memory foam or you don't. You like latex or you don't. A 3 inch latex or memory foam topper over a basic inner spring mattress seems better to me than most of the pillow top alternatives at the same price.
Reply #2 May 29, 2012 12:24 PM
Agree with Crock. I would scratch the pillowtop. You won't be happy with it for very long, believe me. I would go with a really good quality, firmer innerspring with whatever topper you like. This is what I did, and I'm still very happy with the results over a year later.   I doubt I would buy a $399 mattress. Go with the best you can afford and hopefully you'll get more than a few years' use out of it.

If you wish to go with a latex mattress, there's lots of different configurations to choose from. Many people here phone a company that sells them to get advice on which would be best for them. Of course if you're able to go and test them out in person that would be the best thing to do.

If you choose innerspring, latex (or other) toppers can be added to or even zoned (your wife may need a different ILD) if you wish to increase firmness or softness, or replaced altogether for much less than it will cost to buy a new mattress.

Reply #3 May 30, 2012 10:30 AM
I'm shopping at a local mattress manufacturer.  I think the coils in there mattresses are all the same.  The price differences come with the pillow top, fabrics, layers, and materials.  So theoretically, wouldn't just a basic spring system be the way to go, avoiding all the other layers?

Recent Posts