Spring, Latex, or both
May 24, 2012 12:50 PM
I'm looking into a new bed.  Stumbling across this site has enlightened me, but also has posed more questions that has answered.  Here is what I'm considering for bedding.  Let me know what you think, or if all my ideas are bad.

I'm heavyset and sleep on my stomach.  My wife is a side sleeper and about half my size. I tend to sleep hot, so that is why I've disqualifed memory foam from the discussion

This is all based on a king sized mattress

Option 1.  Latex Mattress.  A local mattress manufacturer has 8" natural latex mattresses for $879 list.  They may negotiate.  I don't know the firmness at this point, but I had not discounted the possiblitiy of putting a nice topper on it to soften it up.  I've also looked a FBM and their 6" mattress is a bit less just over $700.  From what I've read about the firmness of there medium mattress, I would need a soft topper definitely.  I always prefer supporting local small businesses if possible, so if it is a wash between the two, I'd prefer to go local.

Option 2.  Basic firm innerspring mattress with a nice topper.  The local place has them priced at about $399.  They are not bonnell or pocket springs, but another type.  I don't remember what they called it.

Option 3.  I think I'm leaning away from this, but my last option is the traditional fluffy innerspring mattress.  The local place had complete sets for $699 that seemed to be nice quality, but I'm not an expert.  I suppose I could ask to look at the factory but even then I don't know good foam from bad..

Lastly, they did have a gel foam bed, that was in between memory foam and latex cost.  I know this is supposed to be cooler than memory foam, and I'm not sure how it compares to latex.

Looking forward to some good input on this.  Thanks in advance.

This message was modified May 24, 2012 by Jtfoster

Recent Posts