want to build my own bed. where can I buy a coil system in a box?
May 15, 2010 9:19 AM
I am finding that the materials for a beckley  and other handmades are not very expensive, and I would like to construct my own bed using wool batting, latex and a cuddle bed to top it. I need to find a high support pocket coil system in a box and some natural form of fire retardant. I know that several of you have done mattress surgery. Hoping you have some suggestions, as I do not trust the coil systems in the commercial mattresses and cannot get info on them in any case. wondering if leggett and platt would sell it to me retail. any ideas? thanks
Re: want to build my own bed. where can I buy a coil system in a box?
Reply #7 May 23, 2010 4:52 PM
Where do you get carded wool at?  Can you provide a link, I am trying to find wool that does not have a stiff backing.

Pretty sad that we all FINALLY have caught on to the garbage PU foam they put in mattresses today.  Pretty sad that we have to resort to trying to build our own beds out of trying to not be in pain!

Reply #8 May 23, 2010 5:35 PM
found a guy selling it on ebay. just do a search and it will come up. there are a few out there. also found a guy who sells bulk horse mane hair. 34 to 42 $ a pound. http://mmhorsehair.com/uploads/2009_Tail_Hair_Price_List.pdf

hey but please don't bid against me on virginia19450 carded wool batting on ebay. hoping to get that one

This message was modified May 23, 2010 by olenska
Reply #9 May 23, 2010 6:34 PM
Don't worry I don't ever use Ebay, too risky for me.  What is carded wool anyway?
Reply #10 May 23, 2010 7:26 PM
cleaned up wool batting in sheets big enough to use in a quilt. comes quite thick, ie much thicker than a wool blanket.so good for my purposes
Reply #11 May 24, 2010 3:27 PM
olenska wrote:

update on coil systems. spoke to Legget and Platt on the phone. asked if they could sell me an offset coil system in 12 1/2 or 12/3/4. said they could not do it, but recommended gold bond top of the line called Premier series, which has a good box in the 9 1/2 range and a 12 2/4 gauge offset coil system. tons of PU foam, however. also King Koil makes a series called Extended Life intended for heavier weight folks with a coil system of that gauge. some of the Sealy's are also 12 3/4, but only 338 coils for a full. All of these will run 1200 to 1500 new and all are stacked with bad foam, some with one inch of latex. for that price one can buy a handmade Beckley in a full size, so unless I can find one of these used that I can tear up for cheap, I may end up just buying a Beckley. (sigh). I did locate the other materials - carded wool and cotton felt in rolls, at very good prices. and 2 inches of latex would finish it off. PS When I mentioned that I wanted to build my own because of the collapse nightmares with all commercial mattresses, the Legget and Platt guy said " Oh you figured that out, did you "

Hey olenska, thanks for finding the carded wool! I'm going to look into that. Don't worry though, I won't bid against you. I may not even buy it yet. I'm more interested in cotton felt in rolls. Where did you find the cotton felt? Is that the same as "cotton batting"? I think I've heard it called that...? 

The quote from the L&P guy is classic! Thanks for sharing that! It's the first time I've heard ANYONE within the mattress industry admit to it! I was running an anti-mattress industry newspaper, my headline would be "L&P Confirms: S Co. Mattresses Are A Nightmare!" surprise laugh

I like that you're taking a different approach right off the bat, adding horse hair and wool layers to your DIY mattress! Am anxious to see if you like it. What made you decide to do this instead of following the usual springs + latex approach? I have been wondering myself about the possible need for a cotton or wool layer, so I'm anxious to see if you like your mattress when it's done, and meanwhile I might try some cotton in there, myself. I'm thinking cotton because we have a futon filled with cotton and it is surprisingly comfortable. Not super comfortable because there are no springs or other layers. But something about it makes me think a cotton layer might be an important component of a good mattress. Also I've noticed that several small custom  mattress companies use cotton as a layer, and I think a lot of S Co's used to, as well, back in the day when mattresses were made well.

If you buy any of this stuff (cotton, wool, horsehair) it would be great if you would provide photos.

Too bad about not being able to buy just coils. I bet it's POSSIBLE, but god knows from whom. Maybe one of the CUSTOM mattress makers - more of a mom & pop shop - might be willing to sell you one. I might ask Custom Comfort or a couple of the local companies around here if they'd sell me just their springs... I know they're going to look at me like I'm nuts, but... what the heck? cheeky

Oh, I also wanted to say re springs: I don't recall Budgy ever saying individual pocket coils were best for latex. If so can you tell me which thread? Or maybe he'll see this and comment. But I know he doesn't read all the threads... Also in a recent thread, somewhere - I'm looking for it - he was saying that Simmons coils do NOT migrate, or at least that's what I think he was saying. I asked for clarification and now can't find the thread. If I find it I'll post it here. I would by Simmons pocket coils if I thought they were good quality. Oh, I do remember him saying that NOW they not so good, though, because they cover them in polyester or something so they're stiffer than before, not as comforming. I think I asked then, what is the best pocket coils, if any? So I've got to find that thread!  I had a Simmons once and it only lasted about a year before killing my back. I was convinced the coils migrated. I bad mouthed them all over the net after that and swore I'd never buy another one! But maybe they got better after that - that was around 1998 or so...

This message was modified May 24, 2010 by jimsocal
Reply #12 May 24, 2010 3:42 PM
Guess I  need to find out where I can buy this "carded wool" so I can make my own mattress pad.  How wide can you get it?  Guess I need to google, I am not an Ebay person.  I need a brick and mortar store, or internet store front.

Cotton would be nice too.  I saw Joanne's had cotton batting for quilts, guess I will go visit their store to see it in person.  It may be stiff for all I know.

I would think the Simmon's coils would not be able to handle the weight of the latex.  You would need strong coils for that.

Reply #13 May 24, 2010 6:52 PM
Cotton felt and cotton batting are not the same thing. cotton felt is used in upholstery. looks to be about 1/2 inch thick. In the cutaway I saw for the Shifmans, they used 8 to ten inches thick of cotton felt. a whole lot. the comfort layer - dacron, wool, latex combination - was on top of that. Cotton felt is sold in rolls. I saw it on ebay but you could buy it from anyplace that sells upholstery materials or from a shop that does it. as for the coils, you remember correctly. I read the same threads. I just looked at a 5 year old simmons. coils were worthless.had been "firm" but felt like mush. I also looked at a 10 year old handmade  shifman. coils in both the mattress and box were shot. had originally been an extra firm and now bounced like a trampoline. coils in the box seemed to have just died. so I doubt that the simmons pocket coils have much of a lifespan. I do think that the lower gauge is what I need . and open offset. so that is what I am now looking for. did find  a stearns and foster with 12 3/4 coils. I have not seen it yet, so don't know how good they are. I will let you know. the one advantage to buying vs. making is getting a two sided mattress. I don't think I have the stamina or the budget to do this whole thing twice. 
Reply #14 May 25, 2010 12:14 AM
I may visit an upholstery shop sometime soon.  I went to Joanne's and the cotton batting for quilts was really bad, it has cotton pieces that are not cleaned and rough.

Isn't felting was the wool puddle pad is?  That is dense then according to Budgy, and it looks like it is now that I look at the picture again.  I want fluffy.

Reply #15 May 25, 2010 1:00 AM
you may want fluffy on top, but this is not topper material, it is the muscle of the mattress. there are wool toppers that will give you that . just discovered holland maid offset coils - gold bond uses them in some models. and aireloom and shifman. so now I understand why those beds felt so great to me. it was that coil system. that is what I will be looking for. 
Reply #16 May 26, 2010 6:35 AM
okay. here ya go. you can buy all materials from hickory springs, maker of the holland maid coil units.   http://www.hickorysprings.com/2008/Locations.html

I am going to call them today, so I will report back what I find out. 

Recent Posts