query about latex
Jan 19, 2010 4:16 AM
The ultimate goal should doing your best and enjoying it.
Currently I am in the market for a latex bed. I want something that has a soft but supportive feel. I love the feel of Hastens, but they are too much money. I want a 6" piece as my main support, but am unsure whether to get the dunlop or the talalay.

Two options:
1) Dunlop bottom piece with a 2 inch talalay topper
2) Talalay bottom with a 2 inch wool topper

The salesperson said not to get the topper until I am used to the latex, but the dunlop felt very firm. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
Re: query about latex
Reply #4 Jan 19, 2010 2:33 PM
sandman wrote:
It is interesting to see how they make those Hastens beds.   Layers of cotton, wool and horsehair over springs.  It would be interesting to try one, but I assume they are hugely expensive.

Click on the specifications tab to see what goes into one of their models:

http://www.hastens.com/en-us/THE-COLLECTION/Continental-beds/2000TII/

Sandman: The last I saw, the cheapest mattress hastens sold was $4,500.00. They can go up into the 10 of thousands of dollars, US.
Reply #5 Jan 19, 2010 2:44 PM
probably well worth it to some.  I imagine that they probably breathe better than any other type of mattress. 
Reply #6 Jan 19, 2010 3:05 PM
They don't use any kind of foam in it, so it probably would breath well.  I have found that any type of foam will retain heat, especially if you sink into it enough.

Can you get enough support and comfort from just cotton, wool and horserhair above the springs?  Maybe so.   Like anything else, one would have to try it for themselves to see if it works.  Still, it would be hard to part with that amount of money for a bed, but if it slept great consistently for a long time, I guess it might be worth it.

Reply #7 Jan 19, 2010 3:48 PM
sandman wrote:
They don't use any kind of foam in it, so it probably would breath well.  I have found that any type of foam will retain heat, especially if you sink into it enough.

Can you get enough support and comfort from just cotton, wool and horserhair above the springs?  Maybe so.   Like anything else, one would have to try it for themselves to see if it works.  Still, it would be hard to part with that amount of money for a bed, but if it slept great consistently for a long time, I guess it might be worth it.

There is only one way to find out.
Reply #8 Jan 19, 2010 7:38 PM
horsehair itself is supposed to be very resilient and springy.  im sure they are quite supportive.  but basically you order your springs custom to your needs. 

Recent Posts