plushbeds (plushbeds.com) mattresses? Original Mattress Factory Latex?
Feb 15, 2010 12:24 AM
Hi folks,

My wife and I are looking to spend up to $2500 on a king or queen (pref. king) latex mattress and foundation.  We have looked at all the usual culprits and while we were initially looking at a Tempurpedic we got frightened out of it with all the bad feedback we've read online.  We began looking at Latex because of this forum (thanks!)  

That said, we liked the Original Mattress Factory and their Latex Mattress (http://originalmattressfactory.com/products_and_prices/mattresses_and_box_springs/foam_and_latex_mattresses.aspx) and we were quite pleased with it.  The challenge being that it has some PU foam at the top and bottom as it is dual sided and flippable.

I then looked at Flobeds, but it seemed they were about $2800 for an all natural king with foundation. 

The last place I found was plushbeds.com which claims to have an 8" all natural Talalay process mattress (http://www.plushbeds.com/All-Natural-Latex-MattressII-p-90.html?features).  I am curious what the ILD is on the foam, and whether it is from Latex International.  Other than that, any thoughts on this one?

-Trevor
Re: plushbeds (plushbeds.com) mattresses? Original Mattress Factory Latex?
Reply #1 Feb 15, 2010 12:33 AM
I just received this response back from Plushbeds.com - thoughts?

----------------------

Hi Trevor,

Thank you for your interest in our 8" All Natural Latex mattress. The mattress is made up of 2 layers of all natural latex. The bottom 6" is firmer, with an ILD of 26. This provides both mattress shape and full lumbar support (ensures you don't sink all the way down in the mattress and develop back problems). The top 2" comfort layer is a softer latex with an ILD of 21. This allows for maximum-pressure relieving comfort without compressing pressure points (which results in tossing and turning and restlessness). The layers are covered in a chemical free aloe-vera cover with a thin, tightly woven wool backing which allows the mattress to exceed flammability standards without the use of chemicals. Yes, Latex International manufacturers our latex.

If you have any further questions feel free to reply or call our toll free number below and ask for my extension.

Regards,

Michael Hughes
Customer Service Manager

----------------------
This message was modified Feb 15, 2010 by a moderator
Reply #2 Feb 15, 2010 7:04 AM
From everything I have read, 10"+ is recommended for adults.  Does plush beds offer latex swapping?  How about replacements of just the latex?

I know companies such as Savvy Rest (which we purchased for our boys and now considering for us) and SleepEZ offer customized sides.....soft, medium, firm (with a wide range of IDL).  You can get an organic cotton & wool cover and 100% Dunlap latex (more eco friendly process, less bouncy) from Savvy Rest or Sleep EZ or with Talalay.  Sleep EZ uses Latex INternational, Latex Green etc.  Look at the difference of 100% natural or blended latex.  Savvy Rest uses Cocolatex.  Savvy Rest is the only company that has all the certifications on their website plus a chemical analysis.  Savvy Rest is a little more expensive upfront but replacements are much less expensive.  Sleep EZ is less expensive but replacing the layers over time is more expensive.  (Just some food for thought.)

10" mattress:  3" of 3 layers.

You can get a Queen 10" organic mattress with foundation from Savvy Rest for about $2400, 90 days to swap out the layers, they offer Dunlap or Talalay.  If you need replacement layers in couple years they quoted me about $75 each.  Great customer service.

You can get a Queen 10" organic mattress with foundation from SleepEZ for about $2100, 90 days to swap out the layers, they offer Dunlap or Talalay too.  Their replacement parts are at about $200+ each.

Here are the firmness levels for the latex:
 Soft 22-24 ILD     Medium 30-32 ILD   Firm  38-40 ILD

You can customize each side to individual likings.  You:  Medium, Soft, Firm, Partner: Soft, Medium, Firm.  Etc.  Both reps will evaluate your weight & height and make suggestions.  But you do have the 90 days to swap out the layers too. 

I think we are leaning to do:  the top entire soft one piece, and then split medium/medium, and firm/firm.

http://www.sleepez.com/natural.htm - shows layers and how to layer or split them

Since we have Savvy Rest for the kids, I am waiting for samples of 'same' product from SleepEZ to compare & make decision.  You can ask both companies and they will mail you samples of all products in all firmness levels.....in Dunlap, Talalay, etc.  From Savvy Rest we also had a sample of the mattress cover.  The cotton/wool is nice.....keeps you cool in summer and warmer in winter, plus help minimize bed bugs and no chemicals are needed to make it flame resistant.  Also, bed bugs don't like latex.

Hope this provided some useful info.

Reply #3 Feb 15, 2010 10:09 AM
Those Plushbeds ILDs seem pretty soft to me.   With just 8" (and keep in mind, it probably isn't actually 8" - my "three inch" LI Talalay latex layer is actually about 2.75") of such a soft core, I bet you'll bottom out in no time, and that soft latex will give you NO support for your back.  I personally wouldn't recommend anything less than 32-34 for your base layer.  Also, you need to take into account how heavy you and your spouse are.  The heavier you are, the firmer you probably need to go in your base layer.  I have three, 3" layers, 36/36/36 ILD.  My husbands is 34/36/36.  With a 2" convoluted softer topper over all that.

As to Flobeds, I would consider getting it without the foundation.  You can buy a foundation locally for less.  I got my foundation new and locally for $200.  That shaves quite a bit off the price.

If you are new to latex, it's crucial that you purchase from a company that allows you to exchange latex layers, as part of the attraction is the ability to customize your bed with a very wide range of firmness levels available in latex.

Over the long run, some of the internet companies may seem initially more expensive, but you need the insurance that you can 1) RETURN your latex mattess for a refund if it isn't right for you and 2) EXCHANGE latex layers if one or more of the layers in your mattress end up being to soft/too hard.  For this reason, you should focus on latex mattresses with zippered mattress covers.

I started out buying from a mattress company that did not offer a zippered mattress and no return policy.  The mattress was way too soft (28 ILD with a softer topper), I was bottoming out, and after a fight with them, they allowed me to return it.  Then I turned around and bought a latex mattress from Flobeds, did one or two no-hassle exchanges of a layer (at very cheap shipping prices, I might add - $20), and have been happy with the comfort level of my mattress.  I had 90 days to exchange layers or decide to return the mattress for a complete refund - or actually, they extended my time to 100 days because of an initial shipping error.

I just took the trouble to go to the plush beds site.  The prices do look pretty good (with the $500 off sale that ends today).  BUT, I see nothing in their policies that allow an EXCHANGE of latex layers.  Also as a personal aside, their mumbo-jumbo marketing about latex bothers me - e.g. the "PlushAir Airflow Chambers"  - bullshit.  That's just how the latex molds make the latex look.  I'd be more impressed if they gave some actual, useful information about latex rather than trying to create marketing hype.  Two thumbs down. 

Also visited the OMF website.  They do not seem to offer an exchange policy if their 32 ILD core is not the right firmness for you.

So, I'd just go into it knowing that when you choose from one of these companies, you are in all likelihood severely limiting your options if the mattress doesn't turn out to be the right firmness level for you.  If either of you weighs more than 200lb, both mattressess are in all likelihood too soft.
This message was modified Feb 15, 2010 by KimberlyH
Reply #4 Feb 15, 2010 11:56 AM
I agree with everything Kimberly said.   I personally found that 8 inches was not enough for my weight (260 lbs).    I am now sleeping on 11 inches of pure latex comfort!
Reply #5 Feb 15, 2010 12:12 PM
Hi there, Just as a bit more information: I am 5'9" and 170lbs My wife is 5'6" and 150lbs Thank you very much for the replies, I am still up in the air on the purchase of a mattress. I have concerns about swapping layers as it would seem like it would vary on how I felt that night. My wife has been sleeping terribly lately, and would like to replace our existing mattress (much) sooner rather than later. -Trevor
Reply #6 Feb 15, 2010 6:41 PM
You have concerns about swapping layers because you think it would depend on how you felt that night?  You sleep on the mattress for a good week, evaluate your overall experience, and based on whether you think it feels too soft (you don't have enough support), too hard or just right, you make a decision to trade a layer for something firmer or softer .  . . or if you're lucky you got it right the first time.

My point is, ok you order this 28 ILD mattress, which *is* going to be too soft.  You sleep on it for a week.  It's too soft.  What are your options?  You can return it or . . . just live with it.   You've just limited your options.
Reply #7 Jul 4, 2010 3:20 PM
Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd chime in on my experience with plushbeds.com. I read the comments on ths forum, and decided to go with Plushbeds in the beginning of June. I found ther site to be very informative & just went with my instincts.

I'm 140 lbs and my husband is about 195 lbs, and we prefer a slightly firmer mattress as a softer mattress causes me too much back pain.

I initially called them to ask about the latex they use, if they have a firmer latex mattress, exchanging layers, shipping, etc. They only use 100% natural latex from Latex International and Latex Green, no blended latex, and were very informative with no pressure.

Although the default top layer on their 8" latex mattress is a 24" ILD of natural talalay, each mattress is made to order, so you can request a firmer ILD if you place your order over the phone. They will also make any custom size needed and will even ship it uncompressed or flat upon request for the same free shipping price.

We ordered the 8" Botanical Bliss with a firmer 36ILD top layer, and received it 10 days after ordering it. The mattress has a very nice cotton cover and did not have any odors. I measured the mattress and it's actually 9". It has just over 8" of latex and another 1" with the zippered cover. We also received 2 100% natural latex pillows (latex green) and a mattress protector from HealthGuard for free with our order. We asked for king size pillows to go with our king size mattress and they upgraded them at no additional cost.

Both my husband and I love the feeling. They did make it un-bonded, and said we could exchange the top layer for one slightly softer if it was too firm within the first 100 nights, and the shipping cost would be about $50.00 - $60.00

I am definately happy and would recommend this mattress to others. My only critique is that Plushbeds needs to update their website to tell people about the options they offer.

Reply #8 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
just an idea - check your local craigslist for a used one. the price gets cut in half most often. with latex you do not need to worry about dust mites, bed bugs, etc. it is naturally immune to those things. I can attest that king size mattresses are hard to sell as most do not have the space to accommodate that size, so you could get a deal if you look for it. 
Reply #9 Jul 5, 2010 11:15 AM
olenska wrote:

just an idea - check your local craigslist for a used one. the price gets cut in half most often. with latex you do not need to worry about dust mites, bed bugs, etc. it is naturally immune to those things. 

I've done a lot of research on bedbugs because my step-daughter recently got them in her house.  No latex mattress is going to be immune because they are covered in fabric and the bedbugs love to hide out and lay eggs in the seams of mattress covers.

Reply #10 Jul 5, 2010 12:36 PM
I agree. And same with dust mites. It's the fabric. That said, you could buy a cover from from SleepEZ or FloBeds to replace the cover on any used latex bed you might find.

Recent Posts