need advice for latex topper
Jun 2, 2012 11:34 AM
There are so many choices for a latex topper.  I have a very firm coil mattress that has very little foam and no pillowtop.  I am using that as my base.  I plan on buying a 2" medium topper from FBM.  I'd like another top layer that is softer and I'm concerned the 20ILD from FBM will be too firm from what I've read here.  Any advice on where to buy a reasonably priced soft latex topper?  I also want to put a wool mattress pad on it, any advice on that would be welcome also.

Thanks.

Jeff

Re: need advice for latex topper
Reply #11 Jun 5, 2012 11:18 AM
Warrigal wrote:

Re wool mattress pads - I've just scoured threads on here so feel like I can chime in. Lots of people love the St. Dormeir wool pad - it appears to be stretchy and thin enough that it doesn't inhibit the benefits of the latex, but you still get the benefits of the wool loft. It's available several different places, including here: http://www.snuggledown.com/s/catalog/st_geneve/st_dormeir_wool_mattress_protectors/

However, because I wanted instant gratifcation (and many places selling St. Dormeir seem to have a multiple week lead time to order it) I ended up buying Foam Sweet Foam's mattress pad, which is wool loft and cotton, and also pretty thin: http://www.foamsweetfoam.com/king-natural-mattress-pad-4.html It has been a really nice change from our poly-fill, poly blend prior mattress cover. 

By the way, I'm doing something similar to you: experimenting with latex over my newly deconstructed pillowtop. I got 2" of "medium" (N3) natual latex from Foam Sweet Foam on clearance. It's definitely a major improvement over the lumpy 2 year old pillowtop, BUT my husband and I found it was a little too firm for side-sleeping comfort, so I'm awaiting delivery of a couple of 1" toppers in soft and extra soft (N2 and N3) - but YMMV. Good luck and keep us posted - this board is such a great resource. 

What do you think of something like this http://www.dreamsoftbedware.com/bsnugdelmatc2.html

Too thick?

Reply #12 Jun 5, 2012 2:03 PM
Jtfoster wrote:

I've seen wool pads from with a wide variety of loft.   Some look to be a traditional looking pad with a thin layer of wool sewn in while others are a very thick fleece look.  I don't want to lose any of the benefits of the latex by putting it under a bunch of wool, but I do like what I read about the benefits of wool  Should I be looking at the thinner pads?  Would I still gain the benefits?  Any specific brands or specifications are welcomed.

Even a normal/thin layer will make a ventilation difference.  Like you say, too thick can interfere with the contouring affect of Latex.  A layer of good wool should do it... a stretchy cover would be a plus.  Machine washable would be good.

I have no wool pads to recommend... looking at the St. D myself.  But the wool in my mattress cover has demonstrated its advantages when compared with putting a typical polyfill pad over the top Latex layer.  We pulled the top Latex layer out of the cover to see how it felt closer to our bodies... to see if the mattress cover was affecting firmness.  We concluded the mattress cover was doing its best not to affect firmness while still being a cover.  And that wool beats polyfill for ventilation.  Our mattress cover is no more than 3/8" thick.

GK

Reply #13 Jun 6, 2012 11:15 AM
I got my extra firm spring mattress yesterday.  Wow is it firm.  My wife said, "People don't sleep on mattresses this hard...its like a board"  I told her, they wouldn't sell them if someone didnt' wnat them.  Luckily we both slept well and no aches and pains this morning.  I get my 3" talatech topper on Friday.  I can't wait.  I got the medium ILD, which is between 28-30.  I hope it is soft enough.  I'm a pretty big guy, about 280 and was afraid I'd bottome out on the soft ILD which is about 20.
Reply #14 Jun 6, 2012 1:01 PM
Jtfoster wrote:

I got my extra firm spring mattress yesterday.  Wow is it firm.  My wife said, "People don't sleep on mattresses this hard...its like a board"  I told her, they wouldn't sell them if someone didnt' wnat them.  Luckily we both slept well and no aches and pains this morning.  I get my 3" talatech topper on Friday.  I can't wait.  I got the medium ILD, which is between 28-30.  I hope it is soft enough.  I'm a pretty big guy, about 280 and was afraid I'd bottome out on the soft ILD which is about 20.

Guesstimating here...

The 28 Latex on 'wow' firm spring core will probably work for you... you may want a few more inches of Latex to isolate the springs a bit more. Your wife, typically side sleepers, may find it to be too firm... not enough hip and shoulder plunge... so, a few more inches of softer Latex on top might serve her, also.

GK

Reply #15 Jun 6, 2012 1:04 PM
GKDesigns wrote:

Guesstimating here...

The 28 Latex on 'wow' firm spring core will probably work for you... you may want a few more inches of Latex to isolate the springs a bit more. Your wife, typically side sleepers, may find it to be too firm... not enough hip and shoulder plunge... so, a few more inches of softer Latex on top might serve her, also.

GK

My thinking is to try it out this weekend and order another 3" of the soft ILD if it is still too firm.  Do you think I'll bottom out the 3" soft layer?

Reply #16 Jun 7, 2012 11:11 AM
Jtfoster wrote:

My thinking is to try it out this weekend and order another 3" of the soft ILD if it is still too firm.  Do you think I'll bottom out the 3" soft layer?

I would try it for a week or more.

The LI Talatech 28 over springs is probably advisable... not too soft.  Three more of 19-22 over that may be too deep (will sag) for you, if you are a front sleeper, but perhaps not... hard to know how the Latex will behave over the springs.  Take it one step at a time.  The basic Latex model is a 2" comfort layer over a 6" core layer.  Given the core is firm springs... and your weight, a little more comfort layer might work out.

For temp trial, you can fold the 3" 28 into 6" 28 and lay on it.  Fold gently and stay off the fold.  Note:  The higher the ILD, the more likely folding will tear the Latex, such as for 44 ILD.  Move the Latex around gently... no pulling, just rolling and flopping/jiggling into position.

GK

Reply #17 Jul 13, 2012 11:31 PM
Jtfoster wrote:

There are so many choices for a latex topper.  I have a very firm coil mattress that has very little foam and no pillowtop.  I am using that as my base.  I plan on buying a 2" medium topper from FBM.  I'd like another top layer that is softer and I'm concerned the 20ILD from FBM will be too firm from what I've read here.  Any advice on where to buy a reasonably priced soft latex topper?  I also want to put a wool mattress pad on it, any advice on that would be welcome also.

Thanks.

Jeff

I'm also waiting for the info right hereblush

Recent Posts