need advice for latex topper
Jun 2, 2012 11:34 AM
There are so many choices for a latex topper.  I have a very firm coil mattress that has very little foam and no pillowtop.  I am using that as my base.  I plan on buying a 2" medium topper from FBM.  I'd like another top layer that is softer and I'm concerned the 20ILD from FBM will be too firm from what I've read here.  Any advice on where to buy a reasonably priced soft latex topper?  I also want to put a wool mattress pad on it, any advice on that would be welcome also.

Thanks.

Jeff

Re: need advice for latex topper
Reply #1 Jun 2, 2012 1:07 PM
You can get a 14 ILD latex topper from Sleeps Like a Bear (SLAB).  Their prices aren't cheap but they have good product and you get what you pay for.  I'm not aware of too many others companies carrying something less than 19 ILD.  On the other hand, you could buy a 3" layer of 19 ILD from someone else that might be less expensive than buying 2" of latex from FBM and more from someone else (and it might be soft enough).  Some companies don't necessarily advertise all their ILD latex layers that they would be willing to sell or special order for you.  I have purchased product from Arizona Premium Mattress, SLAB, Sleepez and Flobeds.  I haven't had any problems with any of them.  Arizona Premium mattress told me that they can order anything I needed.  I thought I read something recently that Sleepez told someone here the same thing.  It doesn't hurt to call and ask.....all they can do is tell you "no" but many are willing to make a sale if they have a source. 

Some have questioned the ILD's from FBM (whether you are getting what you asked for) but if you are really getting 20 ILD talalay latex, you might only need a 3" piece to make you happy (if they sell it?).  That might be your first, less expensive choice.

As far a a wool mattress pad, I have used St Dormier mattress protectors from here:  http://snuggledown.com/s/catalog/st_geneve/st_dormeir_wool_mattress_protectors/

and am very happy with them.  Do a search here on this site and there are many recommendations of folks with similar opinions.  Again, not the cheapest but very nice.

This message was modified Jun 3, 2012 by Sall
Reply #2 Jun 2, 2012 3:14 PM
about how thick is the Wool protector you mentioned?
Reply #3 Jun 2, 2012 8:28 PM
Jtfoster wrote:

about how thick is the Wool protector you mentioned?

I'd say about a 1/4 inch mashed down in a quilted like cover.  Not too thick

Reply #4 Jun 3, 2012 1:12 AM
You may not actually need both a medium ILD and a soft. That would make a fairly thick mattress. I'd consider starting with a 3" ILD 19 or so and see if it does it for you. The extra inch would make a difference. You can always add a medium layer later if you still need it.

SleepEZ can indeed get you any ILD you want, although Shawn will likely try to talk you out of anything as soft as a 14, because it won't last as long. But he'll sell you whatever you want.

Reply #5 Jun 4, 2012 5:08 PM
After speaking with a few people at different online vendors, it sounds like I should opt for a medium firmness topper.  I just ordered a 3" talatech topper from FoamsweetFoam.  It was a clearance item, so no returns, but at $299 for a king size, I took the chance.  Wish me luck. I'll post the results after I have it together.
Reply #6 Jun 5, 2012 9:20 AM
Jtfoster wrote:

After speaking with a few people at different online vendors, it sounds like I should opt for a medium firmness topper.  I just ordered a 3" talatech topper from FoamsweetFoam.  It was a clearance item, so no returns, but at $299 for a king size, I took the chance.  Wish me luck. I'll post the results after I have it together.

What ILD rating?

GK

Reply #7 Jun 5, 2012 9:48 AM
GKDesigns wrote:

What ILD rating?

GK

I've already forgotten what he told me.   I'm thinking 28-30 ILD.  They have them available in a variety of ILD.

Reply #8 Jun 5, 2012 9:59 AM
Jtfoster wrote:

I've already forgotten what he told me.   I'm thinking 28-30 ILD.  They have them available in a variety of ILD.

3" of 28 might work ok.  Hard to know how it will interact with the springs.  It may be on the firm side... you could add 1-2" of 19-21 on top later to finish it off.

Definitely use a wool pad over it to aid ventilation.  Even a thin polyester pad tends to trap body heat at the top Latex layer... wool works better.

GK

This message was modified Jun 5, 2012 by GKDesigns
Reply #9 Jun 5, 2012 10:13 AM
GKDesigns wrote:

3" of 28 might work ok.  Hard to know how it will interact with the springs.  It may be on the firm side... you could add 1-2" of 19-21 on top later to finish it off.

Definitely use a wool pad over it to aid ventilation.  Even a thin polyester pad tends to trap body heat at the top Latex layer... wool works better.

GK

I've seen wool pads from with a wide variety of loft.   Some look to be a traditional looking pad with a thin layer of wool sewn in while others are a very thick fleece look.  I don't want to lose any of the benefits of the latex by putting it under a bunch of wool, but I do like what I read about the benefits of wool  Should I be looking at the thinner pads?  Would I still gain the benefits?  Any specific brands or specifications are welcomed.

This message was modified Jun 5, 2012 by Jtfoster
Reply #10 Jun 5, 2012 10:31 AM
Re wool mattress pads - I've just scoured threads on here so feel like I can chime in. Lots of people love the St. Dormeir wool pad - it appears to be stretchy and thin enough that it doesn't inhibit the benefits of the latex, but you still get the benefits of the wool loft. It's available several different places, including here: http://www.snuggledown.com/s/catalog/st_geneve/st_dormeir_wool_mattress_protectors/

However, because I wanted instant gratifcation (and many places selling St. Dormeir seem to have a multiple week lead time to order it) I ended up buying Foam Sweet Foam's mattress pad, which is wool loft and cotton, and also pretty thin: http://www.foamsweetfoam.com/king-natural-mattress-pad-4.html It has been a really nice change from our poly-fill, poly blend prior mattress cover. 

By the way, I'm doing something similar to you: experimenting with latex over my newly deconstructed pillowtop. I got 2" of "medium" (N3) natual latex from Foam Sweet Foam on clearance. It's definitely a major improvement over the lumpy 2 year old pillowtop, BUT my husband and I found it was a little too firm for side-sleeping comfort, so I'm awaiting delivery of a couple of 1" toppers in soft and extra soft (N2 and N3) - but YMMV. Good luck and keep us posted - this board is such a great resource. 

Recent Posts