natura vs. st. dormeir wool filled mattress pad? A Poll!
Oct 6, 2010 1:43 PM
Hi Folks,

Back to experimenting with surgery mattress... tried my "stack" with and without even a relatively thin 10 year old basic cotton skirted pad (JC Penney)... no more than 3/16 inch thick... and the difference was huge.  Much better without the pad.. which stiffened up and firmed up my top layers of 4 lb mem foam and 19 lb latex so that the comfort supplied by them without the pad was.... almost unnoticeable!  So soft and flexible pad is very important, as many here have commented.

So here is the question:  which of these do you have. like, and recommend.. or would you choose?

1.  Walmart (Sandman's)   Out of stock but $169 delivered?

2.   St. Dormeir    $169 free shipping at cuddledown.com   - Nonreturnable

3.   Natura washable  $169 at Bed & Bath order online only.... + 8% sales tax + $15 shipping o= $198 maybe less 20% coupon... but returnable?

I am inclined to go with returnable Natura, though folks here rave about St. Dormeir. 

Thoughts, anyone?

thanks!  shovel99

This message was modified Oct 6, 2010 by shovel99
Re: natura vs. st. dormeir wool filled mattress pad? A Poll!
Reply #1 Oct 6, 2010 1:48 PM
I haven't tried any of the 3 but were it me I would definitely go with something returnable.  I've lost too much money on nonreturnable bed stuff.

I've seen and handled the Natura pad at a local store (didn't get to lie on it though) and it's very nice, but for me, the seams are a possible problem (diamond quilt pattern).

The St Dormeir ...isn't there also a 3-6 week wait time as they are individually made? (maybe not at cuddedown but I saw that was the case at other online shops).  Something to keep in mind too.

Reply #2 Oct 6, 2010 2:03 PM
there has to be a stocking dealer of Dormeir somewhere.  I can only sell to Canadians but we stock in the standard sizes. 

we used to sell TONS of the Natura washable wool pads.  I actually still have one on my bed.  Over the last year we have moved almost every mattress pad we sell into the Dormeir's, some people may like the smoother fabric on the Natura's better however the Dormeir is more functional.  Keep in mind most places will take back a mattress pad if it has not been used and is sent back in original packaging... It is doubtful any place will offer a full refund on a used bedding item...sounds like returning used underwear to me.

Reply #3 Oct 6, 2010 2:09 PM
The Dormeir is very flexible and I would think would be the least likely to stiffen up your top layers. The skirt is very generous and stretchy so you can get a good fit on the mattress without having the top pad tight as a drum like other fitted pads.
Reply #4 Oct 6, 2010 2:22 PM
The walmart one is really a topper and not a fitted mattress pad.  It is not washable.  It has a nice feel, but does affect the feel of the latex/memory foam.  They did charge shipping and tax at walmart.com, but I believe it is available elsewhere.

The Natura is washable and pretty nice, but does affect the feel as well.  Fairly thick (for a mattress pad) and not a stretchy type of fabric on top. The skirt size is pretty generous, so you can put it on more loosely.

I have never used, but I think that the St. Dormier would have the least affect on feel because it more stretchy and perhaps a little thinner (l think it has a bit less wool) than the Natura.  That is the one I would buy right now if starting from scratch and wanted a washable wool filled mattress pad.  Not sure how different in actual use it would be.

Anything will probably affect the feel, so the least affect would be to use an extra sheet (maybe jersey material??) or two.  Some say jersey is hot, but I think that is mainly if you use it as a top sheet.  Below, I assume it would breath and be a bit more protective than a thinner cotton sheet.

This message was modified Oct 6, 2010 by sandman
Reply #5 Oct 6, 2010 2:28 PM
budgy wrote:

there has to be a stocking dealer of Dormeir somewhere.  I can only sell to Canadians but we stock in the standard sizes. 

Does anyone know of anywhere in the US that has these in stock?

Reply #6 Oct 6, 2010 2:29 PM
shovel, Berkeley Ergonomics makes a really nice cotton stretchy mattress cover, but it's over $250. 
Reply #7 Oct 6, 2010 5:42 PM
I agree with what Sandman said.   I have the Natura washable wool pad and love it, BUT if I had to order again today I'd get the Dormeir for two reasons-softer stitching lines and stretchy sides.   

I found the best price on the Natura at :  http://thecleanbedroom.com/Organic_Mattresses/Mattress_Pads/Natura_Cotton_and_Wool_Mattress_Pads.htm   With little effort you can find a code online that gives you another 10% off.   I think I paid $137 for Queen size with free shipping.    I also visited their showroom in Kittery, ME before I ordered from them online.   

Reply #9 Oct 6, 2010 9:56 PM
Thanks to All.  Will report back on any choices and results.
Reply #10 Oct 6, 2010 10:20 PM
Doesn't seem like there are many choices if you just want a simple fitted cotton mattress protector.  I found this on Amazon.   I guess you either get a thicker pad which will affect the feel, or just a glorified sheet.  This might be a bit thicker than a sheet, so possible it would work a bit better.

There is also the Tempurpedic protector  which should not affect the feel that much.  Says breathable, but waterproof so not so sure how well it would breathe.

Recent Posts