latex mattresses - Reason latex has problems - someone tell me this?
Dec 2, 2011 3:41 PM
The latex bounces, how wil then provide pressure relief and support?

May be some support but pressure relief - I don't think so.

So latex does not work.

Also latex is Not comfortable since it has bounce and PUSHBACK.

This message was modified Dec 2, 2011 by Joed
Re: latex mattresses - Reason latex has problems - someone tell me this?
Reply #3 Dec 2, 2011 9:39 PM
If memory foam does not provide push back than how does it provide support?  

What exactly do you mean latex does not work?  Can you clarify what a mattress needs to accomplish before it works?  

You have basically said that memory foam does not support because it doesn't push back, and latex does not provide pressure relief because it does push back.  Using this logic it is impossible for ANY bed to do both.  Although I should refrain, I feel the need to post this...I have no self control these days:

• Newton's Third Law of Motion states that any time a force acts from one object to another, there is an equal force acting back on the original object. If you pull on a rope, therefore, the rope is pulling back on you as well
Reply #4 Dec 2, 2011 9:44 PM
In other words, all mattresses push back an equal amount of force on your body.  This force is equal to the weight of your body pushing down on the mattress, the amount of pressure has to do with how much contact area there is to spread this force out more evenly over your body.  For example when you sleep on your side, your shoulders and hips sink into the bed greatly creating more pressure on these areas than on other body parts.  When sleeping on the same bed on your back, you will have less pressure overall due to having more surface area to spread the same weight out.  Some beds are more conforming than others, this is defined in part by how elastic a bed is...latex foam is elastic and flexible, hence it is pressure relieving compared to a rigid firm mattress...unless of course you are sleeping on a super firm latex mattress.  Memory foam is pliable and cradling; but ultimately still pushes back with the same total amount of force once it has adjusted; it just feels different and your posture may be slightly different than it is on a latex mattress.
Reply #5 Dec 3, 2011 1:08 AM
budgy wrote:

In other words, all mattresses push back an equal amount of force on your body.  This force is equal to the weight of your body pushing down on the mattress, the amount of pressure has to do with how much contact area there is to spread this force out more evenly over your body.  For example when you sleep on your side, your shoulders and hips sink into the bed greatly creating more pressure on these areas than on other body parts.  When sleeping on the same bed on your back, you will have less pressure overall due to having more surface area to spread the same weight out.  Some beds are more conforming than others, this is defined in part by how elastic a bed is...latex foam is elastic and flexible, hence it is pressure relieving compared to a rigid firm mattress...unless of course you are sleeping on a super firm latex mattress.  Memory foam is pliable and cradling; but ultimately still pushes back with the same total amount of force once it has adjusted; it just feels different and your posture may be slightly different than it is on a latex mattress.

I don't know budgy but I have a spring air soft talalay latex and it has lots of pushback even though it is a soft latex mattress.

I also read about pushback at this forum. It is not the same feeling I got with poly foam.

The latex is bouncy and it is rubber.

Try sleeping on rubber. It pinches even though it may be the softest.

that pinch is pushback I guess. Very uncomfortable.

If latex was so good we would have latex stores everywhere and latex beds would be carried at major retail stores too.

Reality is here mattress firm and mattress giant have stopped carrying all latex beds they had.

Because they told me they don't sell. Well they would sell if they were any goood wouldnt they?

If latex was so great all stores would be carrying latex beds.

But reality is almost no retail stores do.

And it is pretty big hasle for most people to buy mattresses over the internet.

people want to lay down on the beds in a store and feel them.

Well there are no latex mattresses here. Because as I said if they were so good stores would carry them.

But they don't.

This message was modified Dec 3, 2011 by Joed
Reply #6 Dec 3, 2011 1:31 AM

Do you have a vendetta? Think before you write nonsense. What sort of question is that?

When someone say "this does not work for me" (as I myself have done recently writing about my experience of a latex core and my preference for p/u), that is reasonable.  

When someone makes a blanket statement like "latex does not work" and "latex is not comfortable", it seems a little odd.   What IS nonsense is to assume that whatever is true for one person is true for all people - especially on something as personal as a bed.

This message was modified Dec 3, 2011 by RustyShackleford
Reply #7 Dec 3, 2011 1:42 AM
Joed wrote:

I don't know budgy but I have a spring air soft talalay latex and it has lots of pushback even though it is a soft latex mattress.

I also read about pushback at this forum. It is not the same feeling I got with poly foam.

The latex is bouncy and it is rubber.

Try sleeping on rubber. It pinches even though it may be the softest.

that pinch is pushback I guess. Very uncomfortable.

If latex was so good we would have latex stores everywhere and latex beds would be carried at major retail stores too.

Reality is here mattress firm and mattress giant have stopped carrying all latex beds they had.

Because they told me they don't sell. Well they would sell if they were any goood wouldnt they?

If latex was so great all stores would be carrying latex beds.

But reality is almost no retail stores do.

And it is pretty big hasle for most people to buy mattresses over the internet.

people want to lay down on the beds in a store and feel them.

Well there are no latex mattresses here. Because as I said if they were so good stores would carry them.

But they don't.

big box stores love selling cheap mass produced beds because its easy, its how they all operate...has nothing to do with latex not being 'good' or 'not working'.  Go do some googling on reviews for pillow top mattresses in general and you find on horror story after another about how they sag and lose a lot of support in a short period of time...this is what the big stores sell..and it seems to work really well for them..,keeps people coming back again and again.  unfortunately popularity has nothing to do with how good a bed is.  I am not saying latex is perfect for everyone, yes it is 'bouncy' that is because it is highly elastic..,just like a steel spring system...but most would argue less pressure than springs.  your spring air mattress I bet you 10 to 1 is not 100% latex...please read the law tag on the bed...I bet it lists polyurethane foam as an ingredient. 

Reply #8 Dec 3, 2011 12:11 PM
RustyShackleford wrote:

When someone say "this does not work for me" (as I myself have done recently writing about my experience of a latex core and my preference for p/u), that is reasonable.  

When someone makes a blanket statement like "latex does not work" and "latex is not comfortable", it seems a little odd.   What IS nonsense is to assume that whatever is true for one person is true for all people - especially on something as personal as a bed.

Are you for real? or you just like twisting other peoples statements and then adding more of your own make believe? or you just like to start a fire on your own by unnessarily provoking people?

Latex does pushback and it pushes back hard. I have had 3 latex mattresses, the firm ones and the softest ones and so I am talking from experience. May be you are "one" of those oddballs that like the pushback from a mattress. 99% of people don't. Most people do not find pushback "conmfortable"

This message was modified Dec 3, 2011 by roy1
Reply #9 Dec 3, 2011 12:17 PM
budgy wrote:

big box stores love selling cheap mass produced beds because its easy, its how they all operate...has nothing to do with latex not being 'good' or 'not working'.  Go do some googling on reviews for pillow top mattresses in general and you find on horror story after another about how they sag and lose a lot of support in a short period of time...this is what the big stores sell..and it seems to work really well for them..,keeps people coming back again and again.  unfortunately popularity has nothing to do with how good a bed is.  I am not saying latex is perfect for everyone, yes it is 'bouncy' that is because it is highly elastic..,just like a steel spring system...but most would argue less pressure than springs.  your spring air mattress I bet you 10 to 1 is not 100% latex...please read the law tag on the bed...I bet it lists polyurethane foam as an ingredient. 

Incidentally I I had gone to costco and seen this road show by spring air. The spring air softest "latex" mattress is called olympus and it is 6 inches of latex

2 inch of celsion latex upon 1 inch of dunlop latex upon 2 inch of talalaly latex and all this 6 inch sits atop a 8 inch base of some fancy name they call "soy foam"

I slept on it for 30 minutes and it seemed soft. Perhaps all night sleeping would be different. I don't know since I have had enough of latex. It did not work for me after 3 mattresses. The firm ones and the soft ones all had pushbacks. The feeling is totally unpleasant. It may support but it does not provide presure relief.

This message was modified Dec 3, 2011 by roy1
Reply #10 Dec 3, 2011 3:22 PM
So you are saying that a fast responding mattress is uncomfortable.  So springs and latex don't work for 99% of people, I would say that overall most surveys and studies would disagree with you.  So the only comfortable mattress for those 99% would be what?  Memory foam because it is slow response and does not have the 'push back'?  

I think I need to stop posting here...because I am having a hard time absorbing these ridiculous blanket statements...you offer no real advice, you offer no solutions...you simply point the finger at one product which has worked for many people and say 'it's no good'.  

Reply #11 Dec 3, 2011 3:22 PM
roy1 wrote:

Are you for real? or you just like twisting other peoples statements and then adding more of your own make believe? or you just like to start a fire on your own by unnessarily provoking people?

Latex does pushback and it pushes back hard. I have had 3 latex mattresses, the firm ones and the softest ones and so I am talking from experience. May be you are "one" of those oddballs that like the pushback from a mattress. 99% of people don't. Most people do not find pushback "conmfortable"

Uh, I just made direct quotes from original post - and one of my own ("this does not work for me").   I guess it's pretty irritating to have spent the money on a all-latex mattress and then find it so uncomfortable.    I'm not happy about the fact that I did so about 13 years ago and am now convinced it's been contribtuing to my lower back pain.

You seem easily provoked, sorry for feding into that.   But I mainly want to learn.  So I'm actually glad to hear that I'm not nuts for not liking the latex core (that I pulled from a mattress of latex+eggcrate).    I just hope the p/u I replaced it with lasts awhile; but it's cheap enough to replace fiarly often I guess.   I still think I like the latex topper.

This message was modified Dec 3, 2011 by RustyShackleford
Reply #12 Dec 3, 2011 4:56 PM
I wouldn't see chain stores carrying all-latex mattresses because I think they would tend to be quite heavy for their size and fold over too much when trying to move.   It is more difficult to deal with a zipper covered, layered latex mattress than one that is, well, one-piece. 

Of course, the layered latex mattresses have their advantages of split sides and being able to restack and change firmnesses.

I was pretty surprised with what happened when I put the 3 layer talalay onto its matching pine slat foundation.  There was nothing else I was doing that would have caused my right shoulder to hurt so much, but after 1 night on the config, I ran out to buy 'a mattress pad'....  which was really an attempt to make the bed softer and more pressure relieving.

I knew I was at a point where experimenting with layer exchanges to try 'n make it work on that pine slat foundation would be almost intolerable.  I was on my 4th mattress at that point already.

So, I put the all latex back on 'box spring in one room and the TP Cloud in the other.  Slept a couple nights on each for a week or so.  Took a while but was crystal clear - I much preferred the TP Cloud and believe me, no lie, nothing to gain financially, I still do.  Worth every penny of the $1600 for my right shoulder.

One last thougt - I was VERY skeptical of Tempurpedic for 5 months and trying 4 other mattresses before getting it.  I only wish I could take back the time and have bought it initially, but how would I have known?  Guess I had to go through that process.

This message was modified Dec 3, 2011 by slpngoc

Recent Posts