hastens v latex v sleepys
May 4, 2010 11:29 PM
hi i am about to purchase a new king sized mattress...choices:

4 month old hastens 2000t firm (friend and his family moving to tokyo...will sell me basically new mattress for 40% off

new sleepys top of the line  or 

a latex with topper (plus allorganic extras)

they all felt great (my wife and i like medium to firm)  i would give the edge to the hastens....it did not feel overly firm and actually felt like the other two which were moderate firmness.   any experts out there with some thoughts. even w the discount, the h is 2 to 4 times the price of the other two.

Re: hastens v latex v sleepys
Reply #4 May 5, 2010 12:19 PM
budgy.  If the Hastens is 4x Sleepys and 2x all-latex, wouldn't that make Sleepy's half the cost, not twice the cost of the all-latex?

dpdesign:  I would find it very hard to pass up a Hastens 2000T at 40% off but here are a couple of things to keep in mind:  1.  The Hasten's topper does require maintenance - massaging to keep the materials from compressing.  Also, Hasten's reps do say you should eventually replace the topper about every 7-8 years - about a $1,000 touch.   2.  Would your friend actually let you sleep over at his place to try it for a full night?  I was set to buy one for myself a few years back and went to the Chicago Peninsula hotel to sleep on one for a night.  Turned out for me the overnight experience wasn't as pleasurable as the showroom tryout so I didn't buy one - thank goodness the opportunity to actually sleep on one kept me from making an expensive mistake.  Now, I do have some car accident issues so I'm having a challenge finding a bed.  I still think Hasten's are fantastic beds, just turned out not for me.  So if I were you, I would take full advantage of the friendship and try to get a full night's sleep on it.  If it still feels great, a 40% discounted Hasten's is a heck of a deal!

Diane

Reply #5 May 5, 2010 12:39 PM
DianeK wrote:

budgy.  If the Hastens is 4x Sleepys and 2x all-latex, wouldn't that make Sleepy's half the cost, not twice the cost of the all-latex?

dpdesign:  I would find it very hard to pass up a Hastens 2000T at 40% off but here are a couple of things to keep in mind:  1.  The Hasten's topper does require maintenance - massaging to keep the materials from compressing.  Also, Hasten's reps do say you should eventually replace the topper about every 7-8 years - about a $1,000 touch.   2.  Would your friend actually let you sleep over at his place to try it for a full night?  I was set to buy one for myself a few years back and went to the Chicago Peninsula hotel to sleep on one for a night.  Turned out for me the overnight experience wasn't as pleasurable as the showroom tryout so I didn't buy one - thank goodness the opportunity to actually sleep on one kept me from making an expensive mistake.  Now, I do have some car accident issues so I'm having a challenge finding a bed.  I still think Hasten's are fantastic beds, just turned out not for me.  So if I were you, I would take full advantage of the friendship and try to get a full night's sleep on it.  If it still feels great, a 40% discounted Hasten's is a heck of a deal!

Diane

LOL wow...math failure on my part :)

Reply #6 May 5, 2010 1:34 PM
I checked into a McRosky mattress sometime ago. They have been in the San Francisco area since 1899 and make all their own parts. They are a traditional box spring and coil mattress manufacture. I called them and asked what it would cost to ship a mattress to the middle of the United States. They quoted me a very reasonable price of approximately $350. They have an excellent reputation and while they are not cheap or even anywhere near inexpensive, there are whole lot less expensive than that Swedish job.

As I recall you can get there California King box spring and mattress for about $5000. The interesting thing is if you don't need the box springs you can save half the cost. So an innerspring mattress for $2500 in a California King is fairly reasonable compared to latex mattresses. The people I spoke with seemed very friendly and helpful. Here is their website.

They have an excellent video showing there manafacturing process. Very interesting! Go to the top of the web page and click on "Inside a McRosky". The video will load then you need to click on the small play button at the bottom of the view screen.

http://www.mcroskey.com/

This message was modified May 5, 2010 by eagle2
Reply #7 May 5, 2010 2:52 PM
thank you all for the insights and recommendations...this is very helpful  dp
Reply #8 May 5, 2010 3:26 PM
You are welcome.  Please post back here when you have made a decision and us give your feedback on how what you choose is working for you.

Diane

Reply #9 May 10, 2010 8:07 PM
Dear DP,

When you can get a 4 month's used Hastens at 40% off it seems like a "no-brainer", and in a way it is.

The pure value of the bed is certainly worth it, and then some! There is one thing you may have overlooked though.

Is a firm tension bed right for you? My name is Peter and I have done EXTENSIVE research on beds / sleep surfaces versus quality of sleep. In all fairness I need to let you know that I specialize in Hastens beds, and I do sell them. However I am not trying to sell you a bed, just offering help.

Though a Hastens bed can be thought of as a "soft" bed the word soft is often confused with "support", which is another thing all together. A bed needs to be soft, but it needs to be a well-engineered soft, and that is what a Hastens bed is. Typically a firm tension will not be for you unless you are around 220 lbs. or heavier. There are of course exceptions to this rule.

Whenever you have concluded that you need to invest seriously in the most important 8 hours of your day, with a bed that will hopefully be with you for the rest of your life, I would say it is of the utmost importance that you get professionally fit for that very bed.

I do not agree with the comment that a Hastens top-mattress (pad) needs to be changed every 7-8 years. You should use a high grade mattress protector i.e. Hastens 100% cotton mattress cover. If you do so, the top will last you many more years than any foam including Latex foam mattress. Moreover a Hastens top-mattress also called "Pillowtop" CAN but does not necessarily need to be massaged. This is really subjective to the user of the bed. Many users prefer the feel when the top mattress becomes slightly compressed; I am actually one of those users.

Lastly but probably the most important part of this equation that you need to know. Be aware of why beds typically wear out. It is not because the spring system gets exhausted (popular belief), it is actually because most beds contain foam as a filling material. Foam dries up and starts to crumble very quickly, which is the reason a mattress first becomes "lumpy" and then starts to "sag". Nowadays foam is mass produced and not of very high quality (not to mention the nasty chemicals that goes into foam manufacturing), this goes for all 3 foams available on the market, Polyurethane, Latex and Visco Elastic Memory foam. Horror stories of couples who have spent a few thousand dollars on a "good" foam mattress that wore out in 6 months are all too common these days. It is my personal as well as professional experience, there is no such thing as a "good" foam mattress.

The very best piece of advice I can leave you with is the way you narrow down your search for a good dependable mattress / bed manufacturer. Once you have narrowed down your search to a few different makes of what you feel may be the best choice, go to your web search engine and type in the manufacturers name followed by complaint. At this point you should listen to the end users and stop listening to any sales people (me included). If you are considering a manufacturer that have multiple complaints about their products and or business practices,... you may want to re-consider your future purchase.

Best of luck to you.

Sincerely,

Peter Tornell

This message was modified May 11, 2010 by a moderator
Reply #10 May 10, 2010 8:28 PM
Even at the discount price, the Hastens would be beyond my means, but from all I have heard, they are amazing beds.  If you find it comfortable and can afford it, I'd give it a shot.  Let us know what you decide!

One thing to keep in mind about latex mattresses.  Many of us (including me) love them, but many people also find that latex is not for them.

Reply #11 May 10, 2010 8:29 PM
Pete said: "Lastly but probably the most important part of this equation that you need to know. Be aware of why beds typically wear out. It is not because the spring system gets exhausted (popular belief), it is actually because most beds contain foam as a filling material. Foam dries up and starts to crumble very quickly, which is the reason a mattress first becomes "lumpy" and then starts to "sag". Nowadays foam is mass produced and not of very high quality (not to mention the nasty chemicals that goes into foam manufacturing), this goes for all 3 foams available on the market, Polyurethane, Latex and Visco Elastic Memory foam. Horror stories of couples who have spent a few thousand dollars on a "good" foam mattress that wore out in 6 months are all too common these days. It is my personal as well as professional experience, there is no such thing as a "good" foam mattress."

I was with you Pete untill you said this. You included Latex in your condemnation of bedding other than the Hastens. Surely you know, as a knowledgeable bedding person, that 100% all natural, botanically grown, latex does not behave as you have described above. you need to be more specific when you are describing foam, particularly latex, on this forum.

While Hastens makes a wonderful mattress that is all handmade, they also charge super high premium prices for their product. I have heard of prices in the $20-$40,000 range. And while they make some that are less expensive than this they are still for the very well-to-do. We have very few of those folks on this kind of a form.

Reply #12 May 10, 2010 10:11 PM
eagle2 said:

"I checked into a McRosky mattress sometime ago. They have been in the San Francisco area since 1899 and make all their own parts. They are a traditional box spring and coil mattress manufacture. I called them and asked what it would cost to ship a mattress to the middle of the United States. They quoted me a very reasonable price of approximately $350. They have an excellent reputation and while they are not cheap or even anywhere near inexpensive, there are whole lot less expensive than that Swedish job. As I recall you can get there California King box spring and mattress for about $5000."

Dear Eagle2.

I agree McRoskey is a great, friendly and helpful company. I like them as an alternative to Hastens if Hastens is not for you. For your information, you can get a Hastens Marquis King or Cal-King for $5,750.

Not bad for "That Swedish Job"...

When it comes to foam, I will only use this forum to be helpful, and not combatible. My findings are based on years of research, and I stand by my findings. If you have found a special foam that does not react like all others, that is fantastic news.

Good luck to you.

Reply #13 May 11, 2010 1:38 AM
Most of us, with the exception of that guy who flamed me recently, are fairly new to latex beds.  Time will tell how long they will last before breaking down.  Yet the internet is rife with stories about people who have had their latex mattresses for 15-20 years and they're still going strong.  This is what drew me to latex in the first place.

Recent Posts