foambymail.com vs Latex International
Sep 18, 2011 11:59 PM
I've tested out Pure Latex Bliss mattresses in my local mattress store and really like the Nature model that they are selling, but I've run into a few issues, the main one being that my bed does not accommodate a box spring and not buying and using a "matching foundation" with a PLB mattress would most likely void the warranty.  Using a different bed to accommodate the foundation is not an option and I am not willing to take the risk of not having a warranty, especially if I am paying the full price for the mattress.  So, I've started looking into buying the latex slabs like a lot of people seem to do on this forum.  I was going to order from foambymail.com because of the low price until I saw this post:

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/foam-mail-latex-latex-international-latex-comparison/5314-A-1.html

I am pretty shocked at the difference in quality but I am still unsure if the irregularities of the FBM latex really have an impact on anything other than the appearance.  Is the extra cost of the Latex International latex worth it?

If I were to purchase a queen sized 6/5.5" 36 ILD core and a 2" 19/20 ILD topper, these are the costs I came up with from several online retailers:

FBM: $761.98 (includes stripped zipper cover)

mattresses.net: $1,014.53 (Only a 5.5" core, includes $145.53 shipping charge. The guy on the phone told me they sell Latex International, though I could not find it in writing on their site and they are not listed as a retailer on LI's site.)

Sleep Like a Bear: $1,222.20 (includes 10% off for signing up for their mailing list)

In addition to the latex, I would have to buy some sort of mattress cover if I purchased from mattresses.net or Sleep Like a Bear.

So, bottom line, is buying Latex International latex over the "imported European" latex from FBM worth the extra $252.55 or $460.22?

Also, I was wondering if anyone who has ordered from FBM recently can attest to whether their quality has improved?  I know the comparison post was made in May 2009 which was over two years ago...

I appreciate your feed back! Thanks in advance!

This message was modified Sep 19, 2011 by mechanty
Re: foambymail.com vs Latex International
Reply #5 Sep 20, 2011 2:36 PM
I took a gamble and ordered 100% natural (Talalay) medium density 6" latex twin and full mattresses for my kids loft beds in early September 2011.  Couldn't be happier with the product (and the price after doing tons of research).  For safety reasons, the gov't recommends at least 5 inches between the top of the mattress and the top bar of the bed.  But I was worried that the medium density wouldn't be comfortable enough and thought I might need to add a 1 inch soft topper.  So I called FoamByMail (FBM) directly and talked to a customer service lady directly.  The lady said the medium would be fine on it's own and didn't try to sell me more than what the kids needed.  She also said the twill cover that it comes with was fine and the extra expense of the terry cloth cover wasn't necessary.  (I think she said they recommend the terry cloth cover for memory foam, but don't quote me.)  She was correct on both accounts.

I laid on the beds myself (briefly) and it felt very comfortable.  No smell whatsoever when we opened them up and rolled out.   The kids love them and no complaints.  I made sure to get quiet waterproof mattress pads just in case they ever disobey the rules about not having any water bottles or drinks in their bed (or if they physically get sick).  I've read that the latex soaks up fluids like a sponge so the mattresses would be totally ruined if they got sick to their stomach or wet the bed.

Lastly, a couple of other notes as an FYI.  I used a credit card to pay for my purchase on-line (the lady said it was easier than doing over the phone, and I didn't want my credit card number floating around on a piece of paper).  FBM has some strange policy were if it is over a certain dollar amount, they make you sign a piece of paper that you are authorizing the purchase.  I didn't have a working FAX machine, but we took care of it via scanning and emailing.  I think this held up my order a day or two and I didn't see any mention of it on their website.  After we took care of this, I didn't see an email that they had shipped right away, so I called them.   The guy said for my size order it usually takes 7-10 business days to receive.  Well, I was bummed that I wasn't going to have the mattresses in the timeframe I wanted with visitors expected and communicated my desire for faster turnaround to FBM.  He said he'd do his best.  Well, low and behold, the mattresses arrived by UPS at 7pm on a Friday night, two hours before I needed them.  So, I was happy that FBM did their best to please me.  Once our king size pillowtop bites the dust, we plan on buying a replacement latex mattress from FBM.  For ours, we'll probably go with the 6" firm, then get the softer 2-3" topper.  Anyway, hope this helps.

Re: foambymail.com vs Latex International
Reply #6 Sep 20, 2011 8:24 PM
mechanty wrote:

Just to follow up with this, I've decided to go with Sleep Like A Bear despite their higher prices and return policy.  After reading most of the posts and pictures regarding FBM experiences, the quality of what you might get really seems like a crap shoot.   I am looking for the best value for my money and not necessarily the cheapest option.  While FBM is cheap, I worry about the quality and hence the value.

So, I called SLAB after I finished talking with Greg at mattresses.net and the experience couldn't have been any more different.  All of my questions were answered directly and respectfully, the representative was as nice as can be and very helpful (though she did talk a lot!).  She even made some really common sense suggestions that I hadn't thought of yet.  I ordered a couple of pieces yesterday and will probably add a layer or two on to that once I get an idea of how things feel.  I like their layer by layer approach because I think I will end up with the best combination and end up buying the least amount of latex in the end.

I think you made the right decision.  Lowest price isn't always the best value.  You will get a very high quality product that will last for many years.

Recent Posts