foambymail.com vs Latex International
Sep 18, 2011 11:59 PM
I've tested out Pure Latex Bliss mattresses in my local mattress store and really like the Nature model that they are selling, but I've run into a few issues, the main one being that my bed does not accommodate a box spring and not buying and using a "matching foundation" with a PLB mattress would most likely void the warranty.  Using a different bed to accommodate the foundation is not an option and I am not willing to take the risk of not having a warranty, especially if I am paying the full price for the mattress.  So, I've started looking into buying the latex slabs like a lot of people seem to do on this forum.  I was going to order from foambymail.com because of the low price until I saw this post:

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/foam-mail-latex-latex-international-latex-comparison/5314-A-1.html

I am pretty shocked at the difference in quality but I am still unsure if the irregularities of the FBM latex really have an impact on anything other than the appearance.  Is the extra cost of the Latex International latex worth it?

If I were to purchase a queen sized 6/5.5" 36 ILD core and a 2" 19/20 ILD topper, these are the costs I came up with from several online retailers:

FBM: $761.98 (includes stripped zipper cover)

mattresses.net: $1,014.53 (Only a 5.5" core, includes $145.53 shipping charge. The guy on the phone told me they sell Latex International, though I could not find it in writing on their site and they are not listed as a retailer on LI's site.)

Sleep Like a Bear: $1,222.20 (includes 10% off for signing up for their mailing list)

In addition to the latex, I would have to buy some sort of mattress cover if I purchased from mattresses.net or Sleep Like a Bear.

So, bottom line, is buying Latex International latex over the "imported European" latex from FBM worth the extra $252.55 or $460.22?

Also, I was wondering if anyone who has ordered from FBM recently can attest to whether their quality has improved?  I know the comparison post was made in May 2009 which was over two years ago...

I appreciate your feed back! Thanks in advance!

This message was modified Sep 19, 2011 by mechanty

Recent Posts