advice needed: where to buy sheets
Apr 19, 2010 10:22 PM
I need sheets for my latex mattress. Could someone point me in a good direction. what to buy? Where to buy?

Thanks.

Re: advice needed: where to buy sheets
Reply #2 Apr 21, 2010 1:00 PM
If you have a Ross "Dress for Less" clearance store nearby, you might want to check there.

Here they have a faily high turnover, so if you don't see anything you like, go back in a week or two.

I just bought a very nice set for under $30, that was $90 in the big box store where it came from.

500TC cotton, and they washed up incredibly soft and silky.

I think some people overrate thread count. I've had 300-400 TC that were wonderful, and 1000 TC that felt about as comfortable as burlap,

which is why I would never buy sheets online someplace like overstock.com. I want to FEEL the sheets before I buy them.

The quality of the yarn, and evenness of the weave are more important than thread count.

Reply #3 Apr 21, 2010 1:56 PM
Thanks.

I was hoping I could get something not so costly. Maybe, if I shop hard enough ,I can find some of the cited sheets sets on sale at a lower price..

I think thats worth the effort.

Thanks.

Reply #4 Apr 21, 2010 2:00 PM
Doubtingthomas thats some information that I didnt have. Thank you. I will be checking that out.
Reply #5 Apr 21, 2010 2:50 PM
+1 on the quality of the yarn and weave.  Plus thread count technically does not get any higher than about 380 or so for cotton. 

If you see a 400 or higher thread count it is in all liklihood twisted yarns.  A 1020 strand count cotton sheet is a 3 or 4 ply thread (3 or 4 yarns twisted together into one 'rope' yarn) that has a thread count of either 340, or 255 respectively.  This is important to note because the same is true when you see a 400 thread count set of sheets....it is in all probability a 2 ply 200 thread count twisted yarn. The real thread count of a 400 thread count sheet is in some cases lower than a 300 thread count.  Just something to keep in mind, because thread count and strand count are two different things, and most labels are misleading, labelling the strand count and not the thread count as well. 

Note, I am not trying to say that twisted threads are a bad thing...they have a purpose....all things being equal twisted yarns that provide a higher strand count will be smoother to the touch and feel crisper, they can also last longer in some cases if good quality cotton is used.  On the flip side, a single ply thread will also be lighter and airier providing more breathability than higher strand counts will allow.  Thread count is not the ultimate measure of quality....much like buying a firm or soft mattress thread count can really be a preference. 

The biggest indicator of quality the type of cotton used.  Cotton is really measured in something called staple lengths, different types of cotton produce different staple lengths:

1. Sea Island Cotton
Sea Island Cotton is in extremely limited supply, and is very expensive to grow and to process. It is typically used in very expensive men's shirts.

2. Egyptian Cotton
Egyptian Cotton was developed from stocks that originated in South and Central America. Menoufi is the most widely used variety. The highly prized Giza variety has exceptionally strong fibers about 1½" long, and is used in the best qualities of embroidery thread, and the finest cotton fabrics for sheets, down bedding covers, and duvet tickings.

3. Pima Cotton
Pima cotton is in between Egyptian Cotton and American Upland long staple in length and price. It is very good quality.

4. American Upland Long Staple
This cotton is only "Long Staple" in comparison to American Upland Short Staple cotton. The American Upland cottons now comprise up to 90% of the worlds crop. They are much easier to grow and process, and are therefore much less costly. They are perfectly adequate for medium quality fabrics. They make poor downproof fabrics for duvets and pillows, as they will ultimately leak. They are also unsuitable for high thread count sheets, as they will feel limp and coarse after a few launderings. This is the cotton used in bargain duvets, and in inexpensive "luxury" sheets.

5. American Upland Short Staple
A less expensive version of cotton, and a very basic quality. Suitable for denim for blue jeans.

6. Asia Short Staple
Asia Short staple is very easy to grow and process, and hence makes very cheap cloth. Unfortunately, lightweight fabrics made from this cotton are very weak and limp. They wear out quickly, and launder poorly.

The whole idea with using good quality cotton is that there are less ends in the fabric to pull out and cause pilling, you can make the sheets very light weight and they will still be very strong and resist pilling if good quality cotton is used and they are loomed properly.  It is also important to note that most "egyptian cotton" sheets are not usually made out of egyptian cotton.  Most of the time the cotton will be 5~10% Egyptian cotton content and the rest will be a much cheaper variety of cotton.  Also....sheets made in Egpyt does not mean it is made with "egyptian cotton".  It is very important to note that Egpytian cotton is referring to a species of plant that can be grown in a few places, it could be grown in Egpyt, it could be grown in Israel, or in Turkey as well I am sure there are other climates that can support it.  Most cotton grown in Egpyt is not from this species of plant. 

Reply #6 Apr 21, 2010 3:14 PM
Budgy, your breadth of knowledge is always impressive.  I just want to backup something you stated about 300TC.  I once obtained a sheet set originally from Italy that was being cleared through Winners.  They were only 300TC but they were the silkiest, lightest weight cotton sheets I have ever experienced (and have yet to duplicate the experience),  They slept incredibly cool and were so light you didn't even notice the top sheet.  When a friend was travelling to Italy and was going to visit the city where these originated from, I asked her to ship me another set.  However, not fully understanding this TC business, I asked her to get me a 600TC set instead thinking they would be even nicer.  They were a disaster: heavy, rough and pilled; and there was no ability to send them back for a refund.  Wound up donating them to a shelter even though they ended up costing me close to $300, whereas the first set through Winners was under $100!  I could never understand how these 2 sets could be so different but your post here has just cleared up that mystery.  Thank you.

Diane

Reply #8 Apr 21, 2010 4:31 PM
I have a set of Lyocell sheets which are a microfiber of beechwood.  They are very silky feeling but I find they sleep warmer than cotton.  I would think a polyester fibre would sleep even warmer and perhaps not wick away moisture very well.

Diane

Reply #9 Apr 21, 2010 4:35 PM
mmmm lyocell. we have some modal fabrics (beechwood cellulose) and they are ridiculously soft....the world would be a happier place if everyone wore lyocell underwear.  i think if they are made properly they shouldn't sleep too much hotter than cotton, but cotton is of course very breathable.

I've been humming and hawwing over doing some new bedding this year and think at the end of the month I will be doing all new linen sheets and a silk duvet

Reply #11 Apr 21, 2010 5:45 PM
Budgy, I really appreciate this explanation since I have learned on my own that I need at least a 300 thread count to be happy but I also need to feel the sheets since different processing and types of cotton have a different feel when touched. 

I know one time I was at JCPenney's and could not believe the 400 thread count felt so much nicer than the 650 thread count for the same price. I bought the 400 thread count that said it was made with Pima cotton. 

Years ago, I had bought pillow cases with a 200 thread count and they were too rough for me to sleep on. Hence, by trial and error I learned that the thread count should be at least 300 thread count but then other variable influence if I will be happy with the sheets so I prefer to buy in a store where I can feel what I am buying. 

Your explanation helped the most so I really thank you.

Recent Posts