Wool - Your experience?
Dec 7, 2010 4:27 PM
If anyone here has tried a wool topper, I am curious to hear your experiences and feedback.

Is wool a hard surface to sleep on?

Did it make the surface you put it on firmer, or softer?

Was It hot?

Did it feel coarse or did it scratch?

Secondly, has anyone tried an all wool futon or wool stuffed mattress? If so, what did you think about it?

thanks much!

This message was modified Dec 7, 2010 by jasmine
Re: Wool - Your experience?
Reply #3 Dec 9, 2010 4:08 PM
moon1234 wrote:

You usually do NOT sleep directly on wool.  It is contained inside of something.  If this is a mattress topper then the wool is usually inside of a cotton cover.  The cover is usually quilted as well.  This keeps the wool that is inside the cover from shifting around or bunching up on one end or side of the cover.

Wool is very nice to have in a mattress cover.  It helps regulate heat in summer and winter.  This will be dependent on how much wool is added and what type of wool.  If you have ever worn a wool sweater then you know what it feels like against bare skin.  MOST people wear a shirt under their sweater to keep the wool away from the skin.  You will know how nice this is in winter.  You can wear the sweater outside and stay warm, yet keep it on inside and not sweat. 

If you would like to avoid synthetic materials, like polyester batting, etc., then wool is your ideal material to have in a mattress cover.  The only other natural material I am aware of that helps retain heat is goose or duck down.  Down though must be carefully washed and quilted or it can be an allergen source. 

I don't think you would be disappointed with it.  We still use a wool army blanket on our queen bed as an insulation layer in winter.  It is fantastic, but you do NOT want it touching your skin.  The wool blanket has the bed sheet below it and a down comforter above it.  Night temps are in the high 50's to low 60's inside (usually -15 to +15 outside).  We always stay nice and warm.

A company called Brahms Mount in Maine makes some really nice Merino Lambswool blankets, they are incredibly soft and do not have that really scratchy feeling that some wools have. 

Reply #4 Dec 13, 2010 3:11 PM
thanks for the posts.

i am considering purchasing a wool stuffed futon......wool only inside a cotton cover.

Has anyone tried one?

Reply #5 Dec 13, 2010 3:18 PM
jasmine wrote:

thanks for the posts.

i am considering purchasing a wool stuffed futon......wool only inside a cotton cover.

Has anyone tried one?

Show the link please.  Sounds interesting.

Reply #6 Dec 13, 2010 3:32 PM
Should make for one heck of a futon mattress. Although if it is still hand tufted which I hope it is for durability sakes, it will probably be relatively firm still.  Softer than an equivalent all cotton filled futon though.
Reply #7 Dec 13, 2010 4:09 PM
Shepherd's Dream is one such site. Their mattress is all organic wool stuffed with a wool cover.

Non-toxicity became a criteria for me after my negative experience with the "S" brand, so I began researching safer alternatives.

Budgy, thanks for the feedback, from what I have heard cotton futons become quite hard after awhile and wool is supposed to maintain its resilience. I was wondering how the wool might feel compared to a cotton futon and you answered that.

This message was modified Dec 13, 2010 by jasmine

Recent Posts