Why is there infinite trouble selecting a mattress for person with low back pain?
Jan 25, 2010 5:43 PM
Why is mattress selection close to impossible for a anyone with low back pain?

why are mattress makers using different names for the same mattresses in different stores?
Why are they making it so hard to compare mattresses?
Is this some kind of scam?

Why is it that man has gone to moon but mattress makers can't make a mattress for people with low back pain?

I have a herniated disk and wake up with aches and extremely tired every day. Life is hell or close to it. It can't get any worse.

thanks for honest replies.
This message was modified Jan 25, 2010 by lowbacpain
Re: Why is there infinite trouble selecting a mattress for person with low back pain?
Reply #33 Feb 17, 2010 11:17 PM
budgy wrote:
i think they are probably going to be high 2000's or so to start.(that could be for the organic version though that would cost more)  but thats a far cry better than the over $5000 for the Shifman queen I found. 

yeah actually I just found a place that sells it.  http://organicsleepproducts.com/rp-all-cotton-mattress-set.html

Budgy, the Shifmans are significantly marked up on the Bloomie's web site - they typically sell at 40-60% of 'retail,' so the one you are referring to, which I think is the Chateau I asked you about, can be gotten for around $3,000. In light of that, do you still think the Royal-pedic prevails -- i.e., assuming the price were comparable, which bed is better in terms of quality, durability, performance, etc.? Also, for those interested in Royal-pedic, Royal-pedic sells direct and what I like about them is that they are straight shooters on price - unlike other traditional manufacturers, they don't seem to mark up the 'retail' price only to sell them at a steep discount. But having tried some of their beds, I found the all-cotton ones to be rock hard without the latex topper.
Re: Why is there infinite trouble selecting a mattress for person with low back pain?
Reply #34 Feb 18, 2010 12:54 AM
At a level playing field on price I am gonna say its a toss up and you should at that point simply go for whatever feels best.  I was kind of assuming any mattress that uses all cotton batting is going to be pretty firm.  If the Shifman feels better though and you can get it for the same than its probably the better choice for YOU, I don't have any reason to believe there would be a significant difference in quality either way.
Reply #35 Feb 18, 2010 2:46 PM
Alice, that bed you bought sounds really nice.  Can you post for us the entire contents of the bed as disclosed on the label sewn onto the bed?
Reply #36 Feb 18, 2010 6:03 PM
You bet, I'll go home and tell you. Some kind of polyester?

Alice

Reply #37 Feb 18, 2010 6:10 PM
It would be best if you start a new thread with the name and model of your bed, and start with all the contents of the bed as shown on the label.  Please follow up with how it feels over several nights/weeks and how well it reduces your body pain.

Recent Posts