What part to cut for matress surgery.
Feb 28, 2013 2:01 PM
I have a Sterns and Fosters tight top mattress.  It's the base model "luxury plush" tight top mode.  After reading all this, I realize that I should have probably gotten the ultra firm model with no plushness involved at all and it would have been perfect with the addition of a soft latex topper.  The mattress isn't too bad overall, but I want a firmer feel to the mattress.  If I spend too much time on the bed, my back hurts.  I'm 215 LBS and my girlfriend is only 105 LBS.  She complains that she sinks into my side of the bed when we sleep together.  It's a full size bed, so there isn't much place for her to run and hide.  Here's what I ordered so far:

1. foam by mail 2" medium density latex (32ILD)

2. fitted quited matterss pad (not a thinck one)

I will be taking pics and documenting what's inside it for the benefit of others. 

I'm sure that once I open the thing up, I'll want to get more foam with mostly likely different firmness.  Here is what the mattress looks like:

Here is my question:

How should I make my first cut?  Should I cut just below the bead at the top of the mattress so that I can open it up like a suitcase?  I might want to keep the top layer of the mattress in tact.  Otherwise, should I cut just above the bead on the lower part of the mattress so that I can lift up the entire top casing of the mattress?  I'm a touch neverous of the operation, but I'm leaning toward the first option. 

PS:  I'm a physical therapist specializing in low back pain and the information that I've gained from this website over the past few years have helped many a patient from spending tons of money on mattresses they'll regret in no time.  For that, my patients thank you.  I just wish that I had stumbled onto this site before I made my own purchase. 

This message was modified Feb 28, 2013 by SJTrance
Re: What part to cut for matress surgery.
Reply #5 Mar 11, 2013 9:35 PM
Thanks for the pictures of the mattress surgery. 

To keep the case toghether, you could glue several velcro tabs on each side and use them to fasten the cover. You could get fabric glue and velco straps at a craft or fabric store. Please keep us posted on how the mattress surgery turns out over time.

Reply #6 Mar 12, 2013 12:51 PM
Yes, thanks for the update.   I am glad that you are happy with it so far.  I think you will find that the latex will hold up better over time as well.  Plus you have the option to update it years from now. 

Your coils must be softer than mine, because 2" of 32 plus the top would be too firm for me.   It looks like pocketed coils, which do conform better to your body position.

I had the same thoughts that maybe attaching some kind of velcro (or other) straps to hold the top on firmly.   Not sure how easy it would be too do that though.   It would be nices if they sold spring mattresses with a zipper top to allow people to customize and update the foam.  

The sides of mine sag a bit, but no big deal so far.   I have interlaced coils, so the coils do not really push out to the side.  That might be an issue for you, but securing the top might help a far amount with that.  Or a fairly tight mattress pad.  Some have fairly strong elastic sides that would help pull everything together.

Reply #7 Mar 12, 2013 6:06 PM
I can't imagine that glue will hold up to the abuse.  I'm a pretty heavy guy.  I think an option might be to either sow on some velcro straps or even use a few very long straps across the bed.  That harder boarder on the outer edges is the side stability thingamagigy.  The mattress pad I use isn't particularly tight. 

With regards to the springs not being too firm, I'm not sure.  It's a subjective thing, as you know.  If you come here and sleep on it, you may think it's too firm.  The top plush layer of the mattress is still on the bed and does add good amount of softness to the latex layer.  Without that, it's much more firm.

Edit...

I just ordered this:  I'll let you guys know how it works.  I don't need to use it on top of the mattress pad; I just want to ensure that it doesn't cause the base to splay out. 

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-3060DAT-12-Foot---1-Inch/dp/B0009V1WXY/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1363125644&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=tie+down+straps

This message was modified Mar 12, 2013 by SJTrance
Reply #8 Mar 13, 2013 3:45 PM
Perhaps you could slip a snug allergen cover over the mattress to bag it up/keep it together/hide the scars/keep the beasties out.

GK

Reply #9 Mar 13, 2013 9:10 PM
GKDesigns wrote:

Perhaps you could slip a snug allergen cover over the mattress to bag it up/keep it together/hide the scars/keep the beasties out.

GK

Not a bad idea, but damn, at $100 for the full size for my deep mattress, it's a bit hefty.  Lemme try the straps first.

Reply #10 Mar 13, 2013 11:12 PM
SJTrance wrote:

Not a bad idea, but damn, at $100 for the full size for my deep mattress, it's a bit hefty.  Lemme try the straps first.

Yeah, that vendor is pricey but a quick reference for shopping such covers.

Another idea is a grommet kit and thin cord/bungee as lacing... but I have not thought this one through.

GK

Reply #11 Mar 14, 2013 2:23 AM
Hi SJTrance,

Can you explain what you are thinking of doing with the strap? Because it seems to me that it would just tend to smush the material together towards the shape of a circle, rather than keeping it rectangular.

Reply #12 Mar 14, 2013 3:30 PM
I am not sure if the sides of your mattress are rigid.  That would help with straps, so the edges don't slope down due to the pull of the straps.  Might be an issues even with rigid edge support. 

I also think you will feel the straps, and that might be uncomfortable.   

Let us know how it work.   Someone needs to invent a good "suture" method for mattess surgery!

Reply #13 Apr 9, 2013 5:32 PM
So after sleeping on it for a few weeks, I decided that I needed it a tiny bit softer.  So, I purchased a 1" soft latex topper from Foambymail and installed it.  It feels great now and both myself and my girl are very happy.  Here are some pics the setup just before the last 1" layer of topper.

This message was modified Apr 9, 2013 by SJTrance
Reply #14 Apr 11, 2013 5:54 PM
Thanks for the update.  Did you ever try the straps you ordered?  If so, how did it work out?

Recent Posts