What part to cut for matress surgery.
Feb 28, 2013 2:01 PM
I have a Sterns and Fosters tight top mattress.  It's the base model "luxury plush" tight top mode.  After reading all this, I realize that I should have probably gotten the ultra firm model with no plushness involved at all and it would have been perfect with the addition of a soft latex topper.  The mattress isn't too bad overall, but I want a firmer feel to the mattress.  If I spend too much time on the bed, my back hurts.  I'm 215 LBS and my girlfriend is only 105 LBS.  She complains that she sinks into my side of the bed when we sleep together.  It's a full size bed, so there isn't much place for her to run and hide.  Here's what I ordered so far:

1. foam by mail 2" medium density latex (32ILD)

2. fitted quited matterss pad (not a thinck one)

I will be taking pics and documenting what's inside it for the benefit of others. 

I'm sure that once I open the thing up, I'll want to get more foam with mostly likely different firmness.  Here is what the mattress looks like:

Here is my question:

How should I make my first cut?  Should I cut just below the bead at the top of the mattress so that I can open it up like a suitcase?  I might want to keep the top layer of the mattress in tact.  Otherwise, should I cut just above the bead on the lower part of the mattress so that I can lift up the entire top casing of the mattress?  I'm a touch neverous of the operation, but I'm leaning toward the first option. 

PS:  I'm a physical therapist specializing in low back pain and the information that I've gained from this website over the past few years have helped many a patient from spending tons of money on mattresses they'll regret in no time.  For that, my patients thank you.  I just wish that I had stumbled onto this site before I made my own purchase. 

This message was modified Feb 28, 2013 by SJTrance
Re: What part to cut for matress surgery.
Reply #15 Apr 11, 2013 11:56 PM
sandman wrote:

Thanks for the update.  Did you ever try the straps you ordered?  If so, how did it work out?

I haven't tried the straps yet.  It seems to be holding up fine without them.  I just haven't had the time to do it.  It's a two person job.  If and when I do, I'll post pics of that. 

Recent Posts