What exactly is in a simmons beautyrest black?
Feb 22, 2012 4:42 PM
I know people here don't like the S brands, but in shopping I found that I really like the simmons br black Ava/Carmen mattress. I'd really like to know what's in it. The dealer and the Simmons website say there is some latex and some poly foam (renew foam and transflexion foam) in the mattress but I can't find anything with details. How much of each? How firm/soft? What exactly are those foams? I'm assuming that's too much poly foam to last but I sure would like to know the deets.  I'm looking at the cushion firm btw.  Even US Mattress couldn't give me details, they said its proprietary (the black line isn't even listed on their website, had to call, they carry it but can't give any info about it, weird).

Thanks for any help...

steve

Re: What exactly is in a simmons beautyrest black?
Reply #5 Feb 24, 2012 3:40 AM
st3v3k4hn wrote:

I know people here don't like the S brands, but in shopping I found that I really like the simmons br black Ava/Carmen mattress. I'd really like to know what's in it. The dealer and the Simmons website say there is some latex and some poly foam (renew foam and transflexion foam) in the mattress but I can't find anything with details. How much of each? How firm/soft? What exactly are those foams? I'm assuming that's too much poly foam to last but I sure would like to know the deets.  I'm looking at the cushion firm btw.  Even US Mattress couldn't give me details, they said its proprietary (the black line isn't even listed on their website, had to call, they carry it but can't give any info about it, weird).

Thanks for any help...

steve

They'll all have at least one layer of less than desirable foam (even the Blacks have some 3# mf), but beyond that, their multistrand advanced pocket coils are pretty amazing.  I say go for it if you can afford a Black.  Otherwise, being pocket coils I wouldn't go anything less than their world class level for the 1000/q coil count, & in firm for the 13g.

This message was modified Feb 24, 2012 by JasonRatky
Reply #6 Mar 2, 2012 10:49 AM
We had looked at the same mattress in the firm. Even moved forward with the purchase. Then got home that evening and thought we should look at the reviews. Wow, there were so many bad ones (many, many more than good ones), that we decided to cancel our order. At $2500 with delivery, etc., we had hoped this would be the holy grail of mattresses. The reviews state otherwise, as it seems the longevity is really poor.

I suspect part of the issue is that there's really no internal structure to hold the coils in place. just pocket against pocket. That, and the foam is really cheap and doesn't last long. While we loved the feel in the store, I feel much better having explored other options.

Reply #7 Mar 12, 2012 5:33 PM
I was just in Macy's today and the Black line is completely different than it was a month ago.  I don't have the specs, but it's definitely not the same bed at all.

Reply #8 Mar 13, 2012 10:17 PM
I was also interested in the Black line, but when I checked macys.com the other day, the Black doesn't even come up on the site any longer.

Kinda made me wonder if Macy's is moving away from carrying the Black..?

Recent Posts