What exactly is in a simmons beautyrest black?
Feb 22, 2012 4:42 PM
I know people here don't like the S brands, but in shopping I found that I really like the simmons br black Ava/Carmen mattress. I'd really like to know what's in it. The dealer and the Simmons website say there is some latex and some poly foam (renew foam and transflexion foam) in the mattress but I can't find anything with details. How much of each? How firm/soft? What exactly are those foams? I'm assuming that's too much poly foam to last but I sure would like to know the deets.  I'm looking at the cushion firm btw.  Even US Mattress couldn't give me details, they said its proprietary (the black line isn't even listed on their website, had to call, they carry it but can't give any info about it, weird).

Thanks for any help...

steve

Re: What exactly is in a simmons beautyrest black?
Reply #1 Feb 22, 2012 5:22 PM
st3v3k4hn wrote:

Even US Mattress couldn't give me details, they said its proprietary (the black line isn't even listed on their website, had to call, they carry it but can't give any info about it, weird).

That is weird!

As far as I know, the distinctive thing about the BR Black line is the super-sturdy pocket coils. Simmons calls them Variform Advanced Pocketed Coils. (Maybe you already saw that page?) There are "triple-woven" springs -- 3 wires wrapped around each other and acting as one -- interspersed with their regular pocket coil springs.

Other than that, I don't know. I'd expect retailers to be able to give you details if they want the sale.

I just bought a Simmons myself, but a much cheaper one (the Tomahawk Firm at us-mattress; has 13-gauge coils). 

I'd think you could get pretty good support from one of the World Class or Elite mattresses, as long as you get one with the 13 gauge (not the 15 gauge) coils. Just a guess, though. I liked an Elite Extra Firm I tried out, but don't want to shell out the dough for it now.

This message was modified Feb 22, 2012 by Catherine
Reply #2 Feb 22, 2012 8:18 PM
I agree with Catherine.  I think you are just as well served with a world class with the heavy gauge coil.  A friend just got one awhile back and he loves it.  I love the feel of BR nxg.  I asked our local dealer about the BR black bed (because Sleep Country was really pushing me on them), and she says them and Macys have exclusives on them.  They also have very high exclusive prices on them, I noticed.  Assuming since their world class beds were $700 more than the local dealer.  I wouldn't get to caught up in all the fancy lingo and exotic materials they describe.  Last I checked the world class was about $1499 in the store.  BR black was more than twice that.  No thanks. Theres way better beds out there at that price point.  Stearns & Foster estate line might be more similar to the black bed for a lot less money. Those felt pretty nice when I tried them out last.  Good luck.
Reply #3 Feb 23, 2012 2:21 PM
I agree with both of you that decent, thick springs will last, even on an S brand. The issue is that most S brands use so much cheap poly foam over the springs. My hope was that the higher price for the black line meant less cheap foam, more things like latex and wool. But I can't confirm this. Which is frustrating!

The Tomahawk firm looks like it has 2" of foam - one for comfort, one for quilting. That will probably last pretty well, although its clearly going to be a firm bed, not good for side sleeping. Are you planning to add a topper?

steve

Reply #4 Feb 23, 2012 2:46 PM
st3v3k4hn wrote:

I agree with both of you that decent, thick springs will last, even on an S brand. The issue is that most S brands use so much cheap poly foam over the springs. My hope was that the higher price for the black line meant less cheap foam, more things like latex and wool. But I can't confirm this. Which is frustrating!

I agree; it's very frustrating that companies want people to fork over a lot of dough but aren't forthcoming about specs.

I doubt very much that the Black line will have less cheap poly foam than the other lines, but it'd be nice to be wrong about that.

The Simmons Beautyrest World Class Wheaton Luxury Firm looks like it might be OK, but you'd want to check the coil gauge. That page says 14 right now, but that might be a typo; I think all the Simmons BR's there are either 13 or 15 gauge.

The Tomahawk firm looks like it has 2" of foam - one for comfort, one for quilting. That will probably last pretty well, although its clearly going to be a firm bed, not good for side sleeping. Are you planning to add a topper?

Yup, I already have a bunch of latex toppers -- the ones I've been sleeping on since I operated on my old mattress and then tossed it.

I was tempted to spend a bit more and get a mattress in the BR Elite line -- those mattresses have the 2-stage pocket coils (and more coils than the Classic line), and I liked an Elite extra firm mattress the best when I tried them in the stores. But even those mattresses come with foam that I don't want (i.e., memory foam), so I didn't. If my Tomahawk Firm gives me the support I need, and lasts a couple of years, I'll be fine with that.

This message was modified Feb 23, 2012 by Catherine
Reply #5 Feb 24, 2012 3:40 AM
st3v3k4hn wrote:

I know people here don't like the S brands, but in shopping I found that I really like the simmons br black Ava/Carmen mattress. I'd really like to know what's in it. The dealer and the Simmons website say there is some latex and some poly foam (renew foam and transflexion foam) in the mattress but I can't find anything with details. How much of each? How firm/soft? What exactly are those foams? I'm assuming that's too much poly foam to last but I sure would like to know the deets.  I'm looking at the cushion firm btw.  Even US Mattress couldn't give me details, they said its proprietary (the black line isn't even listed on their website, had to call, they carry it but can't give any info about it, weird).

Thanks for any help...

steve

They'll all have at least one layer of less than desirable foam (even the Blacks have some 3# mf), but beyond that, their multistrand advanced pocket coils are pretty amazing.  I say go for it if you can afford a Black.  Otherwise, being pocket coils I wouldn't go anything less than their world class level for the 1000/q coil count, & in firm for the 13g.

This message was modified Feb 24, 2012 by JasonRatky
Reply #6 Mar 2, 2012 10:49 AM
We had looked at the same mattress in the firm. Even moved forward with the purchase. Then got home that evening and thought we should look at the reviews. Wow, there were so many bad ones (many, many more than good ones), that we decided to cancel our order. At $2500 with delivery, etc., we had hoped this would be the holy grail of mattresses. The reviews state otherwise, as it seems the longevity is really poor.

I suspect part of the issue is that there's really no internal structure to hold the coils in place. just pocket against pocket. That, and the foam is really cheap and doesn't last long. While we loved the feel in the store, I feel much better having explored other options.

Reply #7 Mar 12, 2012 5:33 PM
I was just in Macy's today and the Black line is completely different than it was a month ago.  I don't have the specs, but it's definitely not the same bed at all.

Reply #8 Mar 13, 2012 10:17 PM
I was also interested in the Black line, but when I checked macys.com the other day, the Black doesn't even come up on the site any longer.

Kinda made me wonder if Macy's is moving away from carrying the Black..?

Recent Posts