What is the consensus opinion on Sleep Number beds?
Nov 13, 2011 8:25 PM
I'm looking at the new Sleep Number i10 bed.  I don't know anyone with a Sleep Number bed so I really have no idea on the real story of these beds.  What are the general thoughts around here?  I know they are expensive, but what about quality of sleep and comfort?  Thanks...
Re: What is the consensus opinion on Sleep Number beds?
Reply #7 Jan 11, 2012 10:41 PM
I bought a queen size C2 Sleep Number bed in January of 2010.  I'm average weight/height for a female.  I'd tried a sleep number bed at a relative's home and was impressed - the mattress was very firm which is what I like/need.  By the end of January '10 I began to notice an indentation where I sleep.  the control I have doesn't show the number but I always pushed it for a long time until it got as firm as I felt it could be.  I took photos and brought them to the store where I purchased the bed.  There were some reps from the company talking to the store employee and one of them looked at my photos and said "That doesn't look right - something's wrong".  He gave me a card with the 800 number on it for customer service.  However, when I called, the customer service rep said it would cost $159 to have someone come out to check the bed (and that person would be the delivery man).  They don't have special employees to do this.  She said they could send me "chamberlifts" to put under the mattress.  So I had the chamberlifts sent to me, put them inside the "mattress" cover and there was no difference.  I can still see the indentation when the comforter is on the bed and so I press the "firm" button every other night...but when I get out of bed in the morning I always feel as though I'm climbing out of a valley or canyon (it's not that deep but it just feels like it).  I bought this sleep number bed after enduring 3 Serta firm mattresses, each of which sagged w/in less than 3 months (but I've learned a lot about Sertas since that time so looking back, I was just spinning my wheels with Serta).  Anyhow...I will never buy another sleep number bed, no matter how top of the line it is.  
Reply #8 Jan 12, 2012 3:04 AM
The Sleep Number Bed sucks. There are many more negative than positive reviews. I had the misfortune of buying one and experienced the very common indentation problem almost immediately--so they reluctantly sent me a new mattress--after making lame excuses and trying to blame the issue on me--perhaps I wasn't inflating it properly?!? It was a brand new bed. No. The first mattress was definitely defective. The second one took a couple of years to form the crater in which I now sleep--so after 7 years of neck and back pain I'm finally giving up and getting rid of the bed.

In summary, here are the issues I've experienced--and according to the many reviews I've read--so have a lot of other Sleep Number buyers:

1.  "Mattress" does NOT re-gain it's shape once you get up; even if you diligently inflate it every day--which is what they suggest you do--and who wants to have to remember that all the time? No matter what you do, the bed will sag. Quickly.

2.  The remote control burns out very quickly and according to other reviews I've read, it needs to be replaced every so often. I just changed the batteries to no avail; but never bothered to buy a new remote. What happens is that the digits become unreadable and the bed doesn't inflate / adjust accordingly or read properly, as it (supposedly) did when it was new.

3. Select Comfort has a totally bogus warranty. They shouldn't even be permitted to call it a warranty--because the consumer absorbs the majority of the cost to replace components in the bed; as they do not replace anything for free or refund your money. So essentially, the company does not stand behind the product--which I've always believed to be the point of a warranty. What they do instead, is send you equally inferior replacement parts that cost the consumer more, the longer they've had the bed. It's a very clever way of deceiving and ripping people off--because you need to constantly pay to keep the bed functioning properly; after already spending an exorbitant amount of money to purchase it--of course with the logic that it's a long term investment for a quality product. NOT.

Lastly, it's not really a bed. Another deceptive feature is, although it looks like a mattress and a box spring;  the "bed" is actually delivered in (10) different boxes and the delivery people perform a very complex assembly process that I personally wouldn't be able to replicate if I were to move; and would therefore have to pay Select Comfort yet again to assemble it somewhere else. The bed's components are stuffed into an outer shell that looks like a mattress when finished. This is something that never even occurred to me to ask about when I bought it; and the sales person never mentioned anything about it either. Obviously because this factor alone might have prevented me from purchasing the bed. 

BUYER BEWARE. It's a racket. You will deeply regret buying this bed. Don't do it!

Reply #10 Jan 17, 2012 11:49 AM
Someone has to pay for those feature length commercials that are now saturating every television channel around the clock.
Reply #11 Jan 17, 2012 8:20 PM
I'm absolutely sick after reading all the negative posts in addition to mine.  I feel like an idiot for having purchased such a piece of garbage.  Thank goodness I didn't buy the special remote that shows the (IMO bogus) numbers...that would have been an extra $500.  I just hope I can find an authentic firm mattress that won't sag w/in a couple of months (or less!).

Recent Posts