My back hurts & I'm still ISO a non-sag mattress!
Jan 10, 2012 7:27 PM
What is going on with the manufacture of mattresses?  I've been through several mattresses over the past 3 years (several "Serta Firm" mattresses each of which began sagging after a few weeks; currently have a Sleep By Numbers: oy vay--do not go there - what a waste of money!).  I'm average weight.  So why can't I find a mattress that will feel as good/firm as a hotel mattress?  Do I have to pay $5,000 for a good, firm (and will stay firm) mattress?  I've heard enough about latex, Temperpedic, etc to know that I'd be hot-flashing all the time trying to sleep on them so I'm not going there.  I've heard about Royal-something (royalpedic??)...are they good/firm mattresses?  This is so frustrating and I'm disgusted that I'm having such a bad time trying to find a truly firm mattress.  Why is it so difficult to find a firm mattress that will stay firm for at least a few years?
Re: My back hurts & I'm still ISO a non-sag mattress!
Reply #1 Jan 10, 2012 8:30 PM
Wow, I could have written the same thing.  I'm average height/weight as well, and I've been trying to find a mattress that doesn't sag within a couple months.  I'm normally a lurker on most online forums, and I was joking with my wife that my back pain and sleepless nights have gotten so bad that it actually got me to create an account here.

In my case, I've tried a Tempurpedic Deluxe which only lasted maybe 6 months and turned out to sag a huge amount and sleep really hot.  We also tried a Keetsa Pillow Plus that was awesome (nice and firm and no pain!) for about 2 months and then started sagging, but not enough to allow for a warranty exchange.  And of course, I waited longer than 90 days to return the mattress, so I'm SOL on that one.

Growing up, it seemed like mattresses lasted for years.  Now it seems like a stretch to get one that lasts longer than 6 months.

I'm thinking about the Sleep Science hybrid mattress currently being sold by Costco, which at least is returnable if it doesn't work out.  But otherwise, I'm pretty much lost at this point.

Reply #2 Jan 10, 2012 10:12 PM
I've been reading older posts and Shifman-Chateau keeps getting mentioned.  I googled S-C and found Bloomingdales as a local dealer in my area.  Their Shifman mattresses do not include the "Chateau" name.  The mattresses are all cotton which I've learned is a good thing.  I'm amazed to find so many people with back problems, like me, going to chiropractors, physical therapy, etc.,and yet when they stay at a hotel, talk about feeling so much better after sleeping in a hotel bed.  Anyway...I wonder if anyone knowledgeable about mattresses has anything good to say about the Shifman mattresses.  I'm specifically interested in the Traditional Firm, the Traditional Super Firm, and the Handmade Original firm. The write up says they're made the old fashioned way.  Can that be true?  they're also called "two sided mattresses"...does that mean they can be flipped (like in days of yore)?
Reply #3 Jan 17, 2012 12:20 AM
I have experienced the "I had a great night's sleep at "xyz" hotel" or at a family member's home phenomenon. I think it may have to do with other factors such as being tired from traveling, sleeping on a pillow that is more appropriate for your body or that you feel more relaxed away from the stress of your life at home.

I am skeptical because I have duplicated the feel of the hotel mattress and found it less than satisfactory, plus hotels tend to buy cheap mass produced mattresses so it's hard to believe they are really "that good".

If you want non-sag go wtih latex. Flobeds is one of the best choices due to their liberal return policy.

Reply #4 Jan 17, 2012 10:31 AM
If you buy a high quality latex mattress (no polyfoam, and wool quilted to cotton covers), it is very unlikely that you will find a latex mattress to sleep hot.  Most find quite the opposite actually. There is a small % of the population that will find even this to be hot.  These people are natural ovens; and the only thing that will likely sleep cooler would be a bed made without any foam.  Perhaps something like a Royal-Pedic spring mattress with nothing but cotton and wool batting will work for you in this case.  They are firm mattresses, and they do not get softer with use (which is what polyfoam upholstered mattresses do).  The mattress will likely actually get firmer with use as the cotton layers compress over time.  
Reply #5 Jan 17, 2012 8:29 PM
budgy wrote:

If you buy a high quality latex mattress (no polyfoam, and wool quilted to cotton covers), it is very unlikely that you will find a latex mattress to sleep hot.  Most find quite the opposite actually. There is a small % of the population that will find even this to be hot.  These people are natural ovens; and the only thing that will likely sleep cooler would be a bed made without any foam.  Perhaps something like a Royal-Pedic spring mattress with nothing but cotton and wool batting will work for you in this case.  They are firm mattresses, and they do not get softer with use (which is what polyfoam upholstered mattresses do).  The mattress will likely actually get firmer with use as the cotton layers compress over time.  

Budgy:  I don't dare go near anything that might feel "hot" so I'm avoiding any mattress that has the reputation of causing "heat" (I'm a "natural oven" I guess!).  So, what is your opinon of the Shifman Handmade Original Firm mattress?  they say it's "one of our firmest feels" which is appealing to me.  It's IMO expensive ($3,170 for the queen; $2775 for the full) so I'm nervous about plonking down more good money (after several disasters already).  I like that Shifman's mattresses are two sided so I can flip them occasionally.  I believe they're all cotton batting which they say ensures that the mattress will be pretty firm.  Are they as good as the more expensive Royal Pedic?  what makes the RoyalPedic so good in comparision with the Shifman? Tthanks so much for your help on this.  I'm stressed out and need a good sleep on a comfy firm mattress ;>)

Reply #6 Jan 18, 2012 10:26 AM
Now this is another thing that concerns me about a latex bed - - I am a natural oven!  Latex mattress with wool in the assembly is not negotiable, thick cotton batting is out of the question.   I have a very thick wool fleece topper that breathes and is frankly quite 'yummy' but I'm nervous about getting stuck with a hot mattress.
Reply #7 Nov 6, 2013 10:24 PM
I tore a disk in my back in 2008. My back never has healed to what it was. I go through mattresses like some people go through shoes. Tried every type.

Select Comfort (setting at a max. of 100% still way too soft), The firmest Temper Pedic made (got maybe a week of good sleep from it untill it started to sag).

A traditional inner spring Stearns and Foster (hard to find now), that was not all that firm and it did not take long before it started to sag.

My last bed that I gave away was a Sterns and Foster 100% latex foam bed. Again might have got 2 weeks out of it before it too started to sag. Ouch.

The one I am on now is some sort of hybrid. Part foam part inner spring. It is a Simmons. It also sags in the middle. This can't be rocket science or

brain surgery. I kept the foundation from the Temper as it is essentially a wooden platform box that does not give any. Ok so now I am looking

for an old dorm room type stuffed mattress that would essentially be one step up from sleeping on the floor. I slep well on one in college.

So far no luck. I hope all the 20 - 30 somethings that have designed these things have back problems when they get old. Then maybe they

will rethink what they are doing.

Reply #8 Nov 13, 2013 10:04 AM
The firmest bed I have seen is the Savvy Rest Simplicity. It is 3 inches of coconut coir with 3 inches of Dunlop latex on top. If something like that doesnt work get an all cotton Futon Mattress which is very inexpesive but be prepared it will not last as long. 

Recent Posts