Trouble getting comfortable with Latex, 1 year in
May 11, 2010 5:50 PM
I purchased a Talalay blended mattress from SleeptEZ about one year ago, and I've never really been able to get comfortable on it. When I first lay down, I love the way it feels, soft yet supportive, and very springy, yet after a short while pressure points start to build, mostly in my lower back, and I end up tossing throughout the night trying to get comfortable.

Since I have a 3 layer Soft-Medium-Firm split, I've tried swapping layers in every conceivable configuration, but I've still just never been able to avoid waking up with lower back pain in the morning. Since I've had a lot of time to try different things and think about what the problem is, I'm starting to think that the pusback/springyness of the latex is just too strong for me, even though the top layer of foam is soft. When I lay down on my couch with its cheap PU foam I feel more comfort than I do on the latex mattress. Maybe this means latex just isn't for me?

I'm curious what others think about the pushback effect of latex. Is this real, and can it be too much for some people? Is there anything I can try?

Thanks,
Jonathan

This message was modified May 11, 2010 by slantedview
Re: Trouble getting comfortable with Latex, 1 year in
Reply #3 May 11, 2010 9:34 PM
slantedview wrote:

I purchased a Talalay blended mattress from SleeptEZ about one year ago, and I've never really been able to get comfortable on it. When I first lay down, I love the way it feels, soft yet supportive, and very springy, yet after a short while pressure points start to build, mostly in my lower back, and I end up tossing throughout the night trying to get comfortable.

Since I have a 3 layer Soft-Medium-Firm split, I've tried swapping layers in every conceivable configuration, but I've still just never been able to avoid waking up with lower back pain in the morning. Since I've had a lot of time to try different things and think about what the problem is, I'm starting to think that the pusback/springyness of the latex is just too strong for me, even though the top layer of foam is soft. When I lay down on my couch with its cheap PU foam I feel more comfort than I do on the latex mattress. Maybe this means latex just isn't for me?

I'm curious what others think about the pushback effect of latex. Is this real, and can it be too much for some people? Is there anything I can try?

Thanks,
Jonathan

I am somewhat similiar in that I don't find a 100% latex mattress totally satisfying.  I have ended up using 2" of memory foam to make my mattress a bit more plush and body conforming.  I think memory foam does a better job of pressure relief, but too much will not provide enough support.  I currently have 1" of memory foam on top and another 1" below 1" of latex.  This is on top of 2" of latex, which is on Sealy springs.

However, if you have back issues I am not sure memory foam would help you.  I assume you have tried firmer configurations and they are no better?  Too firm can cause back issues (for me) if it forces me to sleep in a position (kind of slumped on my stomach) which puts strain on my back.

Reply #4 May 11, 2010 10:33 PM
In what position do you sleep?    I find our latex guest bed is fine for me when I sleep on my side, but too soft if I try to sleep on my stomach.

I thought lower back pain was usually aggravated by a bed that is too soft, not too firm. Pain in shoulders and hips is from too firm.  But I'm sure that generalization doesn't apply to everyone. Not to be flip, but perhaps you need to do more than just the bed to improve your lower back?  My wife can get some back pain if she stops doing her usual strength and flexibility exercises.

Finally, by all means I think you may be able to put something on top of your mattress to make it a bit more soft if that's what you're looking for.

Reply #5 May 11, 2010 11:11 PM
I felt the same way about my flobeds mattress, when I tried one.

It felt like it was pushing back too much and would not let my body relax. I sent it back, got a refund, no problem.

What I finally realized for myself - some people are the same way - is that I need SPRINGS - or "coils" as the industry terms them - under my body. You might be like me in that respect.

But before you decide to re- do your whole mattress which you have a lot of $ invested in, try this:

Try a 1" or so layer of super soft latex. I'm going to recommend that you buy 1" of super soft Talatech latex in ILD 14 from sleeplikeabear.com. Note that it may take you a couple weeks or more to get it because they are said to be slow. Now, I have not tried the Talatech ILD 14 but I have been told by an expert that this will improve that feeling of pushing back that some feel is too strong with latex. I plan to get one as a topper when I can afford it.

The other option is of course memory foam and you could try, say, 1" of Sensus memory foam on top and see if that works for you. If it feels too hot, put some wool - like an old wool blanket or specially made wool topper - on top. You can get Sensus memory foam at overstock.com. Know that memory foam tends to break down rather quickly so if it works for you, it may stop working for you after some time...

You could also try just a cheap pu foam topper... Seems to me that you need to put SOMEthing in between you and the latex... but if you put too much soft foam in between you and the latex it will hurt your back. So you have to find just the right thickness and the right softness.

Good luck!

Reply #6 May 12, 2010 12:26 AM
sandman wrote:

I am somewhat similiar in that I don't find a 100% latex mattress totally satisfying.  I have ended up using 2" of memory foam to make my mattress a bit more plush and body conforming.  I think memory foam does a better job of pressure relief, but too much will not provide enough support.  I currently have 1" of memory foam on top and another 1" below 1" of latex.  This is on top of 2" of latex, which is on Sealy springs.

However, if you have back issues I am not sure memory foam would help you.  I assume you have tried firmer configurations and they are no better?  Too firm can cause back issues (for me) if it forces me to sleep in a position (kind of slumped on my stomach) which puts strain on my back.

Thanks for the response. I'm fairly young and healthy and don't really have any back issues, but somehow the mattress manages to give me lower back pain anyways. Right now I'm using the soft-medium-firm configuration, but I have tried all sorts of other configurations and this is the best (or least bad, I should say).

Reply #7 May 12, 2010 12:31 AM
twalkman wrote:

In what position do you sleep?    I find our latex guest bed is fine for me when I sleep on my side, but too soft if I try to sleep on my stomach.

I thought lower back pain was usually aggravated by a bed that is too soft, not too firm. Pain in shoulders and hips is from too firm.  But I'm sure that generalization doesn't apply to everyone. Not to be flip, but perhaps you need to do more than just the bed to improve your lower back?  My wife can get some back pain if she stops doing her usual strength and flexibility exercises.

Finally, by all means I think you may be able to put something on top of your mattress to make it a bit more soft if that's what you're looking for.

I sleep on my back, or at least I try to, but usually end up tossing a bit onto my sides to avoid the pain from sleeping on my back. I've tried different configurations and get the lower back pain no matter what. It's lesser when I have a softer configuration, and greater when I have a firm configuration. I would be open to trying whatever to resolve my problem, but I don't have back pain or trouble any other time, except at night when I'm sleeping on the mattress, so I'm pretty sure it's just the mattress, unfortunately :)

This message was modified May 12, 2010 by slantedview
Reply #8 May 12, 2010 12:37 AM
jimsocal wrote:

I felt the same way about my flobeds mattress, when I tried one.

It felt like it was pushing back too much and would not let my body relax. I sent it back, got a refund, no problem.

What I finally realized for myself - some people are the same way - is that I need SPRINGS - or "coils" as the industry terms them - under my body. You might be like me in that respect.

But before you decide to re- do your whole mattress which you have a lot of $ invested in, try this:

Try a 1" or so layer of super soft latex. I'm going to recommend that you buy 1" of super soft Talatech latex in ILD 14 from sleeplikeabear.com. Note that it may take you a couple weeks or more to get it because they are said to be slow. Now, I have not tried the Talatech ILD 14 but I have been told by an expert that this will improve that feeling of pushing back that some feel is too strong with latex. I plan to get one as a topper when I can afford it.

The other option is of course memory foam and you could try, say, 1" of Sensus memory foam on top and see if that works for you. If it feels too hot, put some wool - like an old wool blanket or specially made wool topper - on top. You can get Sensus memory foam at overstock.com. Know that memory foam tends to break down rather quickly so if it works for you, it may stop working for you after some time...

You could also try just a cheap pu foam topper... Seems to me that you need to put SOMEthing in between you and the latex... but if you put too much soft foam in between you and the latex it will hurt your back. So you have to find just the right thickness and the right softness.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response Jim. Your suggestions are right along the lines of what I was thinking. I'm open to trying a soft latex topper, but if it's latex that is causing the problem in the first place I was wondering if more latex is going to solve the problem, even if it's very soft. What do you think? If not latex, I might just try a memory foam topper since they're so cheap and readily available. Most of the ones I see aren't rated in terms of ILD though, just density, 3, 4 and 5 pounds.

jonathan

This message was modified May 12, 2010 by slantedview
Reply #9 May 12, 2010 1:36 AM
The Nutratemp memory foam topper being sold at Costco is rated 14 IFD/ILD.  I think it would feel a little softer than a latex at the same ILD rating.

Diane

Reply #10 May 12, 2010 12:25 PM
i am sending back my costco latex, have sent back two sleep science foams and 2 tempurpedics and now realize i probably have to find a spring mattress

my reaction to this latex is almost as if i am allergic to it, i have pain all around my back that i never had before and it isnt muscle pain or it isnt related to discs I should say

Reply #11 May 12, 2010 9:31 PM
After my car accident, my lower back was hurting as well as my neck area.  I decided to go firmer in the bed and switched out two X-firm latex cores for two Super Firm Latex cores with a 1" topper and my pain went away when I am sleeping. I still have pain off and on when I am doing activities now since the car accident but sleeping is wonderful. 

The lower back does not like a too soft bed in my opinion.  I feel you need to have all firmer layers with a very small cushion on top for your pressure points.  Well, this is what I needed and it worked.

Reply #12 May 14, 2010 1:56 AM
Thanks for the response Lynn. I ordered a 1" extra soft memory foam piece (cheap, just to see how it goes) and I'll be sure to try adjusting the layers under that, as you suggested.
This message was modified May 14, 2010 by slantedview

Recent Posts