Tempurpedics -sky high prices and fancy words
Sep 13, 2011 4:23 PM
I read the forums.

what is inside the tempurpedics? It says space age foam? what is that? Why does temperpedic does not list what is inside their mattress? whya re they so expensive?

I wish I could fork out 8000 dollars for high end tempurpedic. But I don't have that money.

why do tempurpedic have endless phone numbers? I get a pamphlet every month.

Burn money on advertisements and endless phone numbers and then have so high prices and take that money from buyers? I mean buyers are supporting their advertising budget by paying so high prices.

Have they got any commonsense? That if they do not advertised so much they could reduce the prices and more people can afford to buy their "SPACE FOAM"! whatever that means.

End

Re: Tempurpedics -sky high prices and fancy words
Reply #2 Sep 13, 2011 7:03 PM
Ok, so a king size TP Grand Bed (their most expensive) with fixed foundation would be $8k plus tax .... you got 'em on that count.

Ever heard of Hastens?  How about Kluft?  How about you check the prices on some of their high end beds.  Nevermind .... Hastens makes a bed, I think Vividus that is $54,000 as I recall. 

At least start by reading the Tempurpedic web site.  The don't like to call it 'memory foam' like everyone else does because they hold that their Tempur material is proprietary, they mfr. it, and no one else makes it quite like they do.

btw, their entry level models like Cloud aren't all that much more than something from Serta, Sealy or Simmons.  And I'll tell ya, even though the Cloud is only 8" thick, it seems to be a darn good 8".

btw, the stiff prices and advertising is called marketing.  And if you can get people to buy these things and not return them like mad, well, then it seems the product might be worthy.    I think every TP retailer has about 90 day return policies, so if they stunk (pun intended? :)) , then they'd be getting sent back all day long.

This message was modified Sep 13, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #3 Sep 13, 2011 7:38 PM
About 15% of people who buy TPs don't like them enough that they return them. A few of these people hate their TPs so much  they go on the internet to wage a Jihad against TP and perhaps memory foam beds in general. That is the worst number in the business.

About 60% of TP customers love their mattress so much they tell their friends and family they should also get one. A few of these people love their TPs so much they on the internets to launch a Crusade to convert the nonbelievers into the faithfull. That is the best number in the business.

About 25% of TP customers like their bed just fine but don't quite get all the hype and don't get a religious fervor about bedding. These agnostics stay quiet and off the net.

At least those were the numbers in a rather large survey I saw about 4 years ago. Linky no longer works. Sorry.

Reply #4 Sep 13, 2011 11:29 PM
I smell a TROLL here.
Reply #5 Sep 14, 2011 1:54 PM
I have to agree with montana. Tempurpedic spends almost 300 million on ads. They have so many 1800 phone numbers. They advertise heavily. All that money could be better used by having lower prices but it is opposite!

Cloud is only 8 inch. Just a few inches of visco and rest is their special poly foam. It is not suitable for most people. In fact, most tempurpedics have only a few inches of their special foam, rest is poly foam. They also sleep hot. So be prepared for high utility bills in summer. Along with the sinking dollars feeling you will sink in the tempurpedic! Many people don't like that. Would you want yourself be deep in a hot piece of sponge like foam? I rather not.

We are a country of advertisements. Sad but true. Most things are not what they they are made out to be! Just like our politicians!

Reply #6 Sep 14, 2011 3:57 PM
roy1 wrote:

I have to agree with montana. Tempurpedic spends almost 300 million on ads. They have so many 1800 phone numbers. They advertise heavily. All that money could be better used by having lower prices but it is opposite! 

We are a country of advertisements. Sad but true. Most things are not what they they are made out to be! Just like our politicians!

As opposed to which industrialized country?

Fact is Tempur-Pedic and their infomercials created the memory foam mattress market.

No one believed consumers would pay $2k for a foam mattress until Tempur-Pedic because consumers identified foam with cheap products like disposable cups and packaging material. Without Tempur-Pedic and their infomercials there would not be the option of buying low priced generic memory foam mattresses.

It is a free country,at least for a little while longer.

You can  buy a generic memory foam mattress or inner spring mattress for a few hundred bucks or spend $50k on  a mattress.

Whatever you are willing and able to spend.

Reply #7 Sep 14, 2011 5:52 PM
roy1 wrote:

Cloud is only 8 inch. Just a few inches of visco and rest is their special poly foam. It is not suitable for most people. In fact, most tempurpedics have only a few inches of their special foam, rest is poly foam. They also sleep hot. So be prepared for high utility bills in summer. Along with the sinking dollars feeling you will sink in the tempurpedic! Many people don't like that. Would you want yourself be deep in a hot piece of sponge like foam? I rather not.

Do you or have you owned a Tempurpedic mattress? 

TP Cloud vs. new Serta iComfort Insight

TP Cloud mattress is $1199 in twin XL.  It has 2.8" 'tempur foam' in 2 layers, rest is core.  Can't say I'm sleeping hot on it and we don't have air conditioning.  Can't say I sink into it either.  It keeps me up on the bed as much as a medium firm latex or innersping bed.  It beats both those beds in terms of softness and pressure relief.  No contest there.

iComfort Insight - $749 for twin XL mattress only.  So $450 less.  It is 8.75" height with 2.75" gel memory foam. Does it sleep cooler?  I don't know.  Is it as pressure relieving? Don't know.  What I do know is if you buy the matching box spring, you will get a box spring that sags in the middle due to flexing center slat and rods that bend in the hips area.   You get what you pay for in most cases.   TP foundation has a reinforced solid top.  Although I don't have that, I really don't see one of those sagging in the middle.

Reply #8 Sep 16, 2011 2:11 PM
roy1 wrote:

These comments are pretty far from what I'm experiencing -

Yeah, so the regular Cloud is 'only' 8" thick.  So what?  I had an 11.75" thick iComfort Revolution.  It had a whopping 5.75" of memory foam (even though Serta clearly advertises 4.75" memory foam).  You imply more memory foam equates to a higher value / better mattress.  Really?  I sank like a stone down into that Revolution.  Everyone in the household who laid on the Revolution sank too far into it.  Also, it slept hot.  Hotter than this Cloud for sure.  And my neck was tweaked after about 2 weeks.

So, if you want to compare, say, an icomfort Revolution to a Cloud Supreme.  $1600 for twin icomfort set.  I think $2450 for Cloud Supreme set.  Ever seen the box spring that comes with an iComfort set?  I had one.  It was a POS.  It sagged and so did the mattress.  If I were going for that plushness, I'd put my money on the TP over the iComfort anyday.

And the Revolution resale value .... crap.  I ditched the set for a mere $175.  No one called when it was ad'd for $250. 

And how is having 'only few inches of special foam' different than any other memory foam mattress on the market?  Serta, Simmons, Sealy, etc, etc .... they all have only a couple to few inches memory foam then a core foam underneath. 

So, why would Cloud not be suitable 'for most people'?   I'm 6'2" , 190 lbs. Are you implying most people would sink right through the 'skinny' 8" Cloud mattress?   Funny, cause I am not sinking through it.  The support is ... really good.

I think the difference is the quality of the foam inside.  I don't get hung up on how thick or thin a mattress is.  Actually, I don't care all too much for mattresses 12" and more.   I look for support, doesn't sleep hot, comfort, pressure relief, .... and so far the Cloud is nailing it on all counts.

So, people want Tempurpedic prices to come down.  I've seen a few Sealy embody memory foam mattresses at Mancini's, and they weren't cheap either,  IIRC, quickly into $2k to 3k range.

It seems some people like to imply Tempurpedic is some kind of scam artist / take the customers money and run company.  How would that be so?  Tempurpedic gives 90 days to try out a mattress and return it if not satisfied.  Sleep Train has a 100 day no money lost return policy.  If I don't like it, I return it, by law. 

If the thing breaks down  in a year or three yet doesn't qualify for a replacement, maybe my tone will be totally different.  I have no way of knowing that now.  Only time will tell.

This message was modified Sep 16, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #9 Sep 16, 2011 2:52 PM
slpngoc wrote:

These comments are pretty far from what I'm experiencing -

Yeah, so the regular Cloud is 'only' 8" thick.  So what?  I had an 11.75" thick iComfort Revolution.  It had a whopping 5.75" of memory foam (even though Serta clearly advertises 4.75" memory foam).  You imply more memory foam equates to a higher value / better mattress.  Really?  I sank like a stone down into that Revolution.  Everyone in the household who laid on the Revolution sank too far into it.  Also, it slept hot.  Hotter than this Cloud for sure.  And my neck was tweaked after about 2 weeks.

So, if you want to compare, say, an icomfort Revolution to a Cloud Supreme.  $1600 for twin icomfort set.  I think $2450 for Cloud Supreme set.  Ever seen the box spring that comes with an iComfort set?  I had one.  It was a POS.  It sagged and so did the mattress.  If I were going for that plushness, I'd put my money on the TP over the iComfort anyday.

And the Revolution resale value .... crap.  I ditched the set for a mere $175.  No one called when it was ad'd for $250. 

And how is having 'only few inches of special foam' different than any other memory foam mattress on the market?  Serta, Simmons, Sealy, etc, etc .... they all have only a couple to few inches memory foam then a core foam underneath. 

So, why would Cloud not be suitable 'for most people'?   I'm 6'2" , 190 lbs. Are you implying most people would sink right through the 'skinny' 8" Cloud mattress?   Funny, cause I am not sinking through it.  The support is ... really good.

I think the difference is the quality of the foam inside.  I don't get hung up on how thick or thin a mattress is.  Actually, I don't care all too much for mattresses 12" and more.   I look for support, doesn't sleep hot, comfort, pressure relief, .... and so far the Cloud is nailing it on all counts.

So, people want Tempurpedic prices to come down.  I've seen a few Sealy embody memory foam mattresses at Mancini's, and they weren't cheap either,  IIRC, quickly into $2k to 3k range.

wait sometime all that support you fantasize will disapear soon underneath you! Just like Gaddafi's in libya haha. only joking.

I have owned 3 tempurpedics high and low ends and they felt good in begining and then they melted underneath me and I was sinking and sinking. Before I knew, I was down and out waking with intolerable pains.

You are on honeymoon now with your tempurpedics and singing praises of it like a new bride. wait more and her real nature will show up soon buddy.  Honeymoon period with tempurpedics does not last long as I found out.  good luck.  lol.

This message was modified Sep 16, 2011 by montana
Reply #10 Sep 16, 2011 2:59 PM
My honeymoon with my first memory foam bed lasted 12 years.

With current memory foam bed it has lasted 4 years and counting.

Reply #11 Sep 16, 2011 3:08 PM
DeeAgeaux wrote:

As opposed to which industrialized country?

Fact is Tempur-Pedic and their infomercials created the memory foam mattress market.

No one believed consumers would pay $2k for a foam mattress until Tempur-Pedic because consumers identified foam with cheap products like disposable cups and packaging material. Without Tempur-Pedic and their infomercials there would not be the option of buying low priced generic memory foam mattresses.

It is a free country,at least for a little while longer.

You can  buy a generic memory foam mattress or inner spring mattress for a few hundred bucks or spend $50k on  a mattress.

Whatever you are willing and able to spend.

Thanks to tempurpedis for giving us "space age foam" ! and charging us 8000 dollars and spending 300 million really? on ads.

people jumping up and down on tempurpedics in their ads and all seem so happy. Tempurpedics must be godsend! 

By the way how much does it cost to make 8000 dollar mattress? 1000 dollars?

hey it is not only tempurpedics by all these sealy serta simmons crap. They all are making huge money by charging high prices and putting crap in their mattress. People are sleeping on poly foam.

Tempurpedic has poly foam too just better.

Free country and no regulation. corporate greed masquearding as free and deceiving American consumers. Exploitation of consumers hiding behind contempt for government.

Recent Posts