Tempurpedic warranty - is it a bad joke?
Mar 22, 2012 3:51 AM
here is a review someone posted online:

"My wife and I purchased split king Tempur-Pedic Rhapsody complete with individual adjustable bases and was happy with our purchase for about 3 years. After that things have gone down hill quickly.

Do not depend on Tempur's warranty it does not cover the problems we have with the mattresses.

We purchased the Rhapsody because we like a firm bed. Starting about the third year the bed just started getting soft and continues to get softer each passing day.

It has gotten so bad that sitting on the bed you sink over 6 inches of the 11 inch thickness. It did not do that when it was new.

The problem is it returns back to it's normal shape like it was never slept/sat on. That is why the warranty is worthless. Tempur only covers it if it does not return to within 3/4 of the inch to its original shape.

Bottom line is the bed has little support. You just sink into it and not evenly creating joint problems over time.

Each of us not realizing started sleeping in different not normal positions trying to get a good night sleep. Over time this has cause joint pains in both of us.

Now that we have figure that the bed is causing both of us pains and while we are searching for a replacement. We decided to turn the mattress over and sleep on the hard foam side not the memory foam. Our sleep and pains greatly improved but the mattress is a little unstable with the memory foam down.

Bottom line, If you like a firm bed do not purchase a Tempur-Pedic. They say it is a 20+ year mattress we did not get 4 years before we needed to replace it.

We spent over $4,000.00 for the Rhapsody split king and did not get 4 years out of it. We are now waiting on delivery of a $1,000.00 Beautyrest split King. I have a feeling we will get much more than 4 years out of it. We are staying away from memory foam.

Our track record has been we got 18 years out of our Sterns and Foster queen, Replaced with Symbol 12 years a go and still have it in our guessed bed room (guest love it). Decided to upgrade to a King less than 4 years ago getting the Rhapsody and is now considered garbage."

----------------------------------------------

This message was modified Mar 23, 2012 by markfromdallas
Re: Tempurpedic warranty - is it a bad joke?
Reply #3 Mar 25, 2012 3:59 AM
memory foam misery stories on net posted by someone:

"WARNING ABOUT MEMORY FOAM

I have had one for over 4 yrs now. It felt good at first, but then started to make my hips sore, to the point to after 5 minutes of getting in bed I could feel it.  I had to buy a foam pad to make it tolerable. I have fallen asleep and waken in the same position (rolling over while you sleep is not a bad thing). I wake up a little stiff in the hips and shoulders. So I'm looking for a new mattress. Memory foam will also get firmer in the winter, and softer in the summer.

I had a friend that started having problems with her left shoulder and arm. It got to the point that she could not lift her arm above her shoulder. After 3 months of going to the doctor, finally she mentioned she had bought a 3" memory foam topper. As soon as she took it off, no problems. It never did affect her husband."

tempurpedic misery story someone posted on net:

"I completely agree!!!  After 3 back surgeries I bought a Tempurpedic mattress and have slept on it for about 3 years now. I wake up after 4 hours of sleep in so much pain still. I primarily sleep on my sides and my right elbow and right shoulder ache so bad when I wake up. Fortunately I bought the adjustable mattress so I can have my legs ups and back up to sleep in a V shape on my back to releave the pressure on my lumbar back area. That seems to help a bit. I put an egg crate topper on the bed and it did not help at all. I'm going to buy a mattress and put it on my adjustable boxspring and see if that helps. Even though the bed advertises that it gives support to the areas that sink in to the mattress, I think that it gives too much support. And I bought the middle of the road as far as hardness of the mattress. It took three months to break in the mattress and the stink of the foam material was bad at first. I've looked in to the Select Comfort but have read that many people have had problems with the bed leaking air. So off to the Denver Mattress Co. I go tomorrow. Looks like their "Richmond Euro Top" might be the answer for me. But "no buying without trying". I hope this info helps some poeple out there save a ton of $ on a Tempurpedic mattress. Oh - one more thing they never tell you at the Tempurpedic store.....if you are warm natured, skip the Tempurpedic. You will sweat your ... off on this mattress. And I am cold natured. They require you to buy a plastic cover for the mattress or their warranty is void. I am 46 years old and will never regret buying the adjustable mattress though. That part is the bomb! Tonight I'm sleeping on my blow up mattress. My guests sleep better on that than I do in my 4K bed."

This message was modified Mar 25, 2012 by markfromdallas
Reply #4 Mar 25, 2012 12:40 PM
Sorry about your luck.  However, of the dozen or so people I know that own Tempurpedic, none of them share the problems you have.  Some have had them well over 10 years with no sagging at all.  I have had mine for almost 4 years that looks brand new.  I doubt it will fail any time soon.  It has softned up a bit where it gets used, but it seems to be getting better with use.  I wish and hope it softens up a bit more.  It still is quite firm.  As far as warranty, I don't know.  I don't know anyone that owns one that has had to use it.

Our local major hospital has been using the Tempurpedic deluxe for over 10 years in their sleep disorder center.  They still are in use on a daily basis 24 hours a day. 

But I guess if there is a problem with them, we are going to hear about it on the internet.  All products on the market will have a failure or short coming of some sort.  Unfortunately, you have been the victim of this particular product.  It has to be frustrating.  I would say their track record for the most part is outstanding.  I don't expect you to agree with me, and I'm sure you assume they all fail within a short period of time.  Especially when they're really is no other complaint department except for a site like this.  

Contact the retailer you bought it from and see if they will help you out any.  If it really failed in that short amount of time, I'm sure they can do something for you.  If it is normal conditioning and you expected it to remain feeling like a new product when you got it, then I'm afraid this will happen to you with any mattress.  Even latex which is talked up highly on this forum.

Reply #5 Mar 25, 2012 3:15 PM
Good_Sleep wrote:

Sorry about your luck.  However, of the dozen or so people I know that own Tempurpedic, none of them share the problems you have.  Some have had them well over 10 years with no sagging at all.  I have had mine for almost 4 years that looks brand new.  I doubt it will fail any time soon.  It has softned up a bit where it gets used, but it seems to be getting better with use.  I wish and hope it softens up a bit more.  It still is quite firm.  As far as warranty, I don't know.  I don't know anyone that owns one that has had to use it.

Our local major hospital has been using the Tempurpedic deluxe for over 10 years in their sleep disorder center.  They still are in use on a daily basis 24 hours a day. 

But I guess if there is a problem with them, we are going to hear about it on the internet.  All products on the market will have a failure or short coming of some sort.  Unfortunately, you have been the victim of this particular product.  It has to be frustrating.  I would say their track record for the most part is outstanding.  I don't expect you to agree with me, and I'm sure you assume they all fail within a short period of time.  Especially when they're really is no other complaint department except for a site like this.  

Contact the retailer you bought it from and see if they will help you out any.  If it really failed in that short amount of time, I'm sure they can do something for you.  If it is normal conditioning and you expected it to remain feeling like a new product when you got it, then I'm afraid this will happen to you with any mattress.  Even latex which is talked up highly on this forum.

Good sleep, thanks. Read my first line please. These are posts by buyers who posted their experience on internet. I was researching before buying and I came across these posts.

This message was modified Mar 25, 2012 by markfromdallas
Reply #6 Mar 25, 2012 8:04 PM
Well dang.  I should have read a little closer.  But I guess my point about the internet is still valid about complaints.  I've seen to many people become internet experts based on what they read on it; with very little facts to back up any claims.
Reply #7 Mar 26, 2012 4:02 AM
Good_Sleep wrote:

Well dang.  I should have read a little closer.  But I guess my point about the internet is still valid about complaints.  I've seen to many people become internet experts based on what they read on it; with very little facts to back up any claims.

little facts? internet experts? This is a post by a buyer from a consumer web site.

How is anyone supposed to make a decision?

Reply #8 Mar 26, 2012 10:53 AM
I suggest that if the warranty/mattress has been around awhile and is a joke, you would hear about it and the decision not to purchase would be obvious.  Otherwise, it remains another sleep option... works for some and not for others and has its inherent weaknesses.  Me, I stay away from anything that demands a luxury investment since there are typically less expensive options that can do the job as well if not better.  I would also beware foams and airbags that do not ventilate. 

GK

This message was modified Mar 26, 2012 by GKDesigns
Reply #9 Apr 3, 2012 1:31 PM
I have a Queen sized temperpedic cloud bed and when I initially bought the bed I was very satisfied with the overall feel, but I am starting to get uncomfortable with the amount of heat retention.  Is there a way to keep the bed but alter this.  Would a mattress topper work for example?  It wasn't a huge issue in Winter, but as spring/summer has started to come in I'm feeling it more and more.  i'm considering putting the bed in my second bedroom and purchasing a new mattress.

Recent Posts