Suggestions on SleepEZ Latex Setup
Aug 12, 2011 11:44 AM
Hi, I purchased a Sleep EZ 10,000 (which has 3 layers of 3" latex).  I'm still trying to find the right setup.  Shawn at SleepEZ has been helpful, but I also want to get input from folks on this forum with latex experience.

I'm a back sleeper.  #1 requirement is firm support, otherwise I get lower back pain.  #2 is cushion on top for pressure relieve. 

Below are the setups I have tried, from best to worse.  

1. Top=Firm Talalay Blend, Middle=Firm Dunlop, Bottom=Firm Dunlop.  Firm is 38-40ILD. Support: Almost there, but my entire body is at a small angle, with my buttocks at the bottom; so I wake up with tightness in lower back.  Pressure relieve: Good.

2. Top=Firm Dunlop, Middle=Firm Dunlop, Bottom=Firm Dunlop.   Support: Excellent.  Pressure relieve: Poor, I wake up with sort shoulders and neck.

3. Top=Medium Talalay Blend, Middle=Firm Dunlop, Bottom=Firm Dunlop.  Support: Doesn't work.  Too soft.

4. I have tried other setups using the existing layers where the firm is at the top and medium is at the middle or bottom.  Those do not work as I want a firm base and softer top.

Any suggestions on what I can do to improve on this setup?  My thoughts are to change #1 to Top=Firm Talalay Blend, Middle/Bottom=Extra Firm Dunlop (start 1 layer swap-out ).  I appreciate your suggestions and advice.  

Re: Suggestions on SleepEZ Latex Setup
Reply #4 Aug 26, 2011 7:23 PM
Hi slpngoc,

Can you post links to examples of adjustable beds? do you mean like the kind used in hospitals where you can lift the head up higher? I've been thinking of getting something like that. I had read it can help relieve lower back strain...

I have a SleepEz 8500 and I too am having trouble. I've had lower back pain from day one and now pain in my shoulder and shoulder blades. I have tried SMF, SFM, and MFM as configuraitons - (all 100% natural talalay).  The shoulder pain started with when I made the upper layers more firm which makes sense. but the lower back pain has never improved...

One problem i know is i dont have a foundation yet. the mattress is on the floor. I'm currently researching foundations.

I'm thinking I either need an adjustable bed or a Vzone like setup like FloBeds offers for more support in the lower back and softer on the shoulders. but i really dont want to mess with VZones. Plus SleepEz doesnt really do Vzones, so i guess i would have to make it myself which i'm really not sure i want to go down that route...

Another option is a wood slatted foundation, though I'm not sure if those help lower back pain....

thanks!!

Reply #5 Aug 27, 2011 10:30 AM
alopex wrote:

Hi slpngoc,

Can you post links to examples of adjustable beds? do you mean like the kind used in hospitals where you can lift the head up higher? I've been thinking of getting something like that. I had read it can help relieve lower back strain...

I have a SleepEz 8500 and I too am having trouble. I've had lower back pain from day one and now pain in my shoulder and shoulder blades. I have tried SMF, SFM, and MFM as configuraitons - (all 100% natural talalay).  The shoulder pain started with when I made the upper layers more firm which makes sense. but the lower back pain has never improved...

One problem i know is i dont have a foundation yet. the mattress is on the floor. I'm currently researching foundations.

I'm thinking I either need an adjustable bed or a Vzone like setup like FloBeds offers for more support in the lower back and softer on the shoulders. but i really dont want to mess with VZones. Plus SleepEz doesnt really do Vzones, so i guess i would have to make it myself which i'm really not sure i want to go down that route...

Another option is a wood slatted foundation, though I'm not sure if those help lower back pain....

thanks!!

Here's a $300 motorized euro slat bed base from Ikea -

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40160275

What a bargain!  Leggett and Platt twin XL adjustable's start at $1,200.  eeeek.

I slept first night on the Ikea Sultan Laxeby euro slat bed base.  It fit straight onto the metal bedframe, just needed to add a prop at foot for a day.  It's really good! I can adjust firmness in hips and shoulder area.  Price is low, but quality is good with Ikea. Link -

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60125969

-------------------------

First foundation for SleepEZ was the Serta regular box spring ... I could see foundation was sagging a bit in middle.

I tried the standard wood foundation form SleepEZ, but I don't get along with rigid pine slats.  It firmed up the mattress a bit and too much pushback in shoulder area for me. 

But the euroslat base is much better and I like the low cost.  I'm in process of retrofitting the wood foundation so I can drop the euro slat bed base onto it.  it's going to work!

This message was modified Aug 27, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #6 Aug 27, 2011 9:37 PM
slatted bed base looks good, thanks!  We're planning on getting a king and most likely from sleepez.   Do you have suggestions on what to put the slatted bed base on?   We were also looking at the flobeds euroslats, but it is a lot more $$.  ( $779)

http://www.flobeds.com/product_details.htm?ID=7037EK

slpngoc wrote:

Here's a $300 motorized euro slat bed base from Ikea -

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40160275

What a bargain!  Leggett and Platt twin XL adjustable's start at $1,200.  eeeek.

I slept first night on the Ikea Sultan Laxeby euro slat bed base.  It fit straight onto the metal bedframe, just needed to add a prop at foot for a day.  It's really good! I can adjust firmness in hips and shoulder area.  Price is low, but quality is good with Ikea. Link -

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60125969

-------------------------

First foundation for SleepEZ was the Serta regular box spring ... I could see foundation was sagging a bit in middle.

I tried the standard wood foundation form SleepEZ, but I don't get along with rigid pine slats.  It firmed up the mattress a bit and too much pushback in shoulder area for me. 

But the euroslat base is much better and I like the low cost.  I'm in process of retrofitting the wood foundation so I can drop the euro slat bed base onto it.  it's going to work!

Recent Posts