Some people can't sleep on latex???
May 22, 2008 7:22 PM
I've been considering a latex mattress and so I have been reading thru this forum, which has been VERY HELPFUL, except that I keep seeing comments something like: "I love latex but it just doesn't work for me" or "I tried latex but I just couldn't sleep on it." These comments are rather vague, and rather scary! So I am wondering if anyone could elaborate. Why doesn't latex work for some people? What are the issues?

Thanks

Steve

Re: Some people can't sleep on latex???
Reply #6 May 24, 2008 10:02 PM
Lynn2006 wrote:
Steve, I do not know why Dunlap Latex would last longer than very firm Talalay Latex. I can see it laster longer than soft latex but this is just my opinion.  

What was the ILD Density on the Englander you tested since each companies Firm differs in the firmness?  What was the ILD Density of the soft cushion? Also only have 6" of latex over a very firm base, will be much firmer than three latex cores on top of one another.  I would call around to find out if anyone has a mattress made of Dunlap Latex to try out even if it is a far drive since you will be allowed one exchange with SleepEz.  If you really want to try the Dunlap (there are people on this site that like it a lot), maybe Shawn will work with you in writing to give you two exchanges.  Also maybe he will work with you on a topper as part of the package since he seems knowledgeable and caring. 

Whatever combination of latex cores you choose, it will feel so much different than those you are trying out in the stores since you will be farther away from the firm bottom solid base.  Hence, you need to have a few exchanges to get the right combination. 

I know no matter what combination of Latex cores I set up, I needed that 1" latex soft cushion or the bed was too hard and by using softer latex cores under me and no topper, the bed made my back hurt with less support underneath me.  

I am sleeping on a 1" topper over a Extra Firm over an extra firm over a super firm which is a 39 ILD over a 36 ILD over a 46 ILD  on the side of my bed that I like best  (the 36 ILD FloBed has varies on the average just like all latex does so I prefer the ones that have higher ILD averages than the ILD listed on the side... Latex International shows testing on the side of the latex core and then rates each side and gives an average rating) while my other side has a 35 ILD over a 44 ILD over a 34 ILD and I am feeling it is a little soft but doable for my back since with the 1" topper. I am thinking of asking Dave for one or two more exchanges (for my other side of my bed.. my friend loves that side but it is MY bed)  since I returned three toppers that Dave sent me (2" silky and soft and wonderful for a bigger person who likes a soft cushion, 1.5" Dunlap medium latex toppper and a 1.5" soft Talalay Latex topper ) .  The 1.5" soft Latex Topper Dave sent me was too soft. I am sure he would have sent me a 1" topper in exchange but when I found the sale at Brylane Home, I decided to just buy what  felt I would need since I loved my bed and was just needing a thinner topper to go over my very firm set up for a little cushion on my pressure points. I disliked the feel of the Dunlap topper that did not provide me enough cushion but I can see it would be a good base core.  I had no idea that I would not like more than 1" of softness on top.  Hence, instead of the credit for returning the topper, I would like another 38 and 39 ILD latex cores (36 ILD extra firm cores that average out to a higher ILD).   I can really feel the difference between the 39 iLD and the 35 ILD since my car accident. Before that my set up would have been a little bit too firm I think.  It amazes me since I was told small people like softer beds.   I am not quite 5 feet. My combination using SleepEz system would be a 1" topper over a Firm over a Firm over an X-Firm since SleepEz firmness names go with different ILD #'s which is not bad or good, it is just something one needs to know when choosing cores based on ILD's and not firmness names.

If you try the Dunalap Latex from SleepEz, please let us know how it is.  If you decide to try the Dunlap Latex and it is a bit soft with a topper, you can always move the Firm on top of the Medium so maybe the combination you set up work work for you after all.

I wish I could be of better help but I never tried a Dunalp Latex core and only tried the too firm for me Dunalap Latex topper.  Maybe you would like a Talalay Latex topper over the Dunalap Latex cores for a little cushion?  

I also love my latex pillow so you may want to ask Shawn if he has a special on a latex pillow he can add in to the package for a good price.

I love when people provide tons of help and then say "I wish I could be of better help..."   I'll try to respond to each question you raised below.

Re: ...I do not know why Dunlap Latex would last longer than very firm Talalay Latex...
The way it was explained to me (and trust me, I am NO expert!), Dunlop is essentially made like a waffle in a waffle iron. They fill the mold, make some holes, but its still mostly rubber. In the Talalay process they use less rubber to begin with (they don't fill the mold); they create a vacuum and do other magic to expand the rubber and so ends up with a lot more air in it. I was told thats why Dunlop weighs more than Talalay. As you note, it may not make much difference for very firm latex, but I am planning to have some softer latex in my bed (see below) so this matters to me...

Re: ...What was the ILD Density on the Englander you tested...
I couldn't find out the ILDs, but (on reflection) its got less foam than you get in the SleepEZ bed, and it costs more money, so I think the Englander is a no-go.

Re: ...you need to have a few exchanges to get the right combination...
Well, my wife is not very particular about mattresses, so I was hoping I could use some of her layers if needed and minimize swaps that way. Plan is she gets soft / medium / firm and i get medium / firm / extrafirm. If I'm too firm I can give her a firm and take a medium. If I'm too soft I can give her a medium and take a firm. And so on. But I was also planning to see if they would give me 2 swaps (can't hurt to ask)...

Re: ...I know no matter what combination of Latex cores I set up, I needed that 1" latex soft cushion or the bed was too hard...
Yeah, this is the big issue I am having with SleepEZ. Seems like they want to count that top layer as both a "firm core" layer and as a "soft comfortable" layer. Still, I figure they may be right, I may not need a topper, and if I do I still spend less than at FloBeds or one of the other retailers.

By the way, the store I visited today had layered latex beds like these, made by a company called OMI. They were all organic, natural Talalay, and seemed pretty nice. But over $4k for the king! I'm sticking to the online guys!

Thanks again!

Re: Some people can't sleep on latex???
Reply #7 Jun 6, 2008 6:14 AM
Steve, have you received your Dunlop topper yet?  My husband is about your weight and I'm anxious to hear how you liked it.  I know it won't be the same as testing a complete 2 or 3 layer bed but maybe you'll have at least some idea of the feel of Dunlop.

Mimi

Recent Posts