So many options! My head is spinning! Help please...
Oct 18, 2010 9:48 PM
I've spent countless hours on the internet looking for "THE" mattress. My problem is durability.

I sleep with my boyfriend, and a 70lb labrador in the same bed.....don't laugh now....it's a twin. Let's just say we don't roll around much, lol.

I must use this size bed as it is all that the space in my room will allow, what with my cracker box for a house and all.

So, I'm in the market for a new bed. Thus being said, I want one that won't poop out on us in a matter of days/weeks/months. I slept in a tempurpedic at a hotel a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, however I seem to see very few good reviews about the memory foam variety mattress. I'd like something that can be comfortably soft yet stand up to the nightly abuse of all three of us sleeping in it.

There are sooooo many options that I simply do not know where to begin. What one person says is great on one site, another hates on another site. I simply want to know what would best suit our needs and last for at least a few years. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (with the exception of kick the dog off or get a bigger bed) both not an option, sorry.

I'm all ears. I may not know the terminology but I'm more than willing to take in a few good suggestions :)

Re: So many options! My head is spinning! Help please...
Reply #9 Oct 19, 2010 12:38 AM
OK, the way I see it you have several choices.

First of all, for a mattress core (the part on the bottom that supports you)

you could choose either Latex ... fairly firm because of the weight it will be carrying

or you could choose a good innerspring with thick springs (I wouldn't go to anything above 13 point something guage)

Next I would strongly suggest that the sides of the mattress be re-inforced. This means either stronger springs along the edge or some type of strong foam along the edges. The reason for this is that it will prevent the edges of the mattress from compressing and will give you more useable room

Next the comfort layers middle to top

I would absolutely avoid memory foam in your circumstances. There is no doubt in my mind that it wouldn't last and you also would not have the freedom of (what little) movement you would otherwise have. Polyfoam in the comfort layers will almost certainly break down in your circumstances. That leaves you with a choice between natural stuffing materials (cotton wool horsehair and things like that) or Latex foam.

Given your circumstances, I would almost certainly choose latex. Part of the reason for this among others is that latex is less likely to harbor stuff that might otherwise choose to live in your mattress. You already have enough creatures living there.

Finally the very top of the mattress

I would certainly avoid a pillowtop but it seems you may want some plushness so I would suggest a luxury firm or a plush (on a scale from 1 to 5 of "plushness" either a 2 or 3) with quilting. Probably wool in the quilting (because it breathes well and is a lot better than polyfoam) but there are other choices here as well depending on the feel you like.

It would also be important to know how involved you and your boyfriend (and of course your dog) want to be in this. There are some options where you can construct your own bed but they take a little bit of knowledge about what you like and need before you go there .... and a willingness to experiment a bit if necessary.

You can go in a different direction and buy a mattress from a store that you can lie on to make sure it works before you buy it. This will probably cost you more than buying from a "custom bed maker"

Or you can go to a store and experiment a bit to get a sense of what you like and need and then either order it from the store, order it online, or use the knowledge you have gained to make your own.

Read this outline (warning it's long) and forget about anything there except latex or innerspring cores and latex or natural padding in the comfort layers. Some of the choices it talks about are already made for you because of your circumstances.

When you've read it, you are ready to start flopping, laying, and rolling around on some beds.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 19, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #10 Oct 19, 2010 12:55 AM
You are what some people might call a "special needs case".

It's worth the time it will take to do this right.

Don't rush, ask questions whenever you need to, and take some notes along the way so you don't forget the things and the mattresses you want to remember.

Phoenix

Reply #11 Oct 19, 2010 12:09 PM
I got a good laugh picturing you all sleeping together.  Anyway you could post a photo of the sleeping situation? (just kidding, but this would be a first for the forum!)

I don't think any of the major "S" brand innersprings will work for you - foam won't last.  You might be able to find a durable enough one from a smaller maker, but that will take some searching.   Most of the upper end, high quality innersprings will probably be out of your price range, and not sure they will always come in twin size.

Latex is probably a good durable choice for you.  I would suggest the one at Costco that is on sale  (I would not buy the matching foundation though, not the best made).  100% refundable if you are not happy.  You will not get that deal at many places.  Sam's club probably has some as well. 

If possible, you should see if you can try a latex mattress first to see if you like the feel.  It sounds like your furry sleeping partners will be okay with anything.

This message was modified Oct 19, 2010 by sandman
Reply #12 Oct 19, 2010 7:07 PM
What city and state do you live in? There may be a smaller manufacturer with very good value within reasonable driving distance.

Phoenix

Reply #13 Oct 19, 2010 7:28 PM
Phoenix wrote:

What city and state do you live in? There may be a smaller manufacturer with very good value within reasonable driving distance.

Phoenix

I live in Goshen, Ohio (45122)....if I had to put a number on it..I'd say about 20 min away from cinci. If you've seen a county map we're on the little bit that sticks out left on the clermont county section.

Latex is sounding more and more appealing, I was doubtful because I was afraid it would break down like memory foam does. Am I wrong in assuming this?

Reply #14 Oct 19, 2010 8:13 PM
I'll check and see what I can find in the way of manufacturers. It may be a little while

In general, memory foam is on the low end of the durability scale, latex is at the top of the durability scale.

You're budget is in a good range to get something both very nice and very suitable ... or at least as suitable as anything could be in your circumstances.

Phoenix

Reply #15 Oct 19, 2010 8:29 PM
You, your boyfriend and a 70lb in a twin? That's just ridulous
Reply #16 Oct 19, 2010 8:45 PM
Phoenix wrote:

I'll check and see what I can find in the way of manufacturers. It may be a little while

In general, memory foam is on the low end of the durability scale, latex is at the top of the durability scale.

You're budget is in a good range to get something both very nice and very suitable ... or at least as suitable as anything could be in your circumstances.

Phoenix

Thank you for all of your help. I'm pretty sure I would have dug myself a very deep, expensive hole had I not consulted this forum first.

Reply #17 Oct 19, 2010 10:01 PM
Here are a few that are worth looking at besides what you may already know.

http://www.originalmattress.com/classic/overview

They have a 9" and 12" all latex mattress. They also make their own mattresses and are quite highly rated. Call them to find out the location nearest to where you are and it's definately worth going to see them.

http://www.sleepys.com/

I don't think there are any of these close to you but if there is, then it would be worth going to lay on the different models of Pure Latex Bliss that they carry. They are really nice.

http://www.furniturerow.com/DenverMattressCo/

The two mattresses that you would be interested in here are the aspen and the snowmass. They only come in twin XL however so if a few inches of extra length is an issue as opposed to width, then pass them by. Might be worth a call to make sure they don't come in twin if the length is too much.

http://www.naturalbedco.com/showroom/

These guys are quite a ways from you but they are also the one I would go to first if there was any way I could. They make a pure latex mattress and can make the layers any way you want and they have a showroom in Akron. The mattress they sell is exactly like an outlet called Savvy Rest which sells online but they are a lower cost. Call them for sure to see if they have an outlet any closer.

I didn't see anything at Mattressfirm that would be worth looking at for you but they may have something suitable that is not online. Doubt it

If there are any other quality mattress places that you know about, call them first and ask if they sell either an all latex mattress or an innerspring  mattress with no more than 1" of poloyfoam (be clear here) and if they don't, don't go there.

The goal here is to follow the steps from the post that I mentioned earlier (the long one) so you won't be paying any attention to how much anything costs yet, this is about finding out what is perfect for you. Have you read it?

If you have then it's time to get started laying on mattresses.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 19, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #18 Oct 22, 2010 8:27 PM
Phoenix wrote:

Here are a few that are worth looking at besides what you may already know.

http://www.originalmattress.com/classic/overview

They have a 9" and 12" all latex mattress. They also make their own mattresses and are quite highly rated. Call them to find out the location nearest to where you are and it's definately worth going to see them.

http://www.sleepys.com/

I don't think there are any of these close to you but if there is, then it would be worth going to lay on the different models of Pure Latex Bliss that they carry. They are really nice.

http://www.furniturerow.com/DenverMattressCo/

The two mattresses that you would be interested in here are the aspen and the snowmass. They only come in twin XL however so if a few inches of extra length is an issue as opposed to width, then pass them by. Might be worth a call to make sure they don't come in twin if the length is too much.

http://www.naturalbedco.com/showroom/

These guys are quite a ways from you but they are also the one I would go to first if there was any way I could. They make a pure latex mattress and can make the layers any way you want and they have a showroom in Akron. The mattress they sell is exactly like an outlet called Savvy Rest which sells online but they are a lower cost. Call them for sure to see if they have an outlet any closer.

I didn't see anything at Mattressfirm that would be worth looking at for you but they may have something suitable that is not online. Doubt it

If there are any other quality mattress places that you know about, call them first and ask if they sell either an all latex mattress or an innerspring  mattress with no more than 1" of poloyfoam (be clear here) and if they don't, don't go there.

The goal here is to follow the steps from the post that I mentioned earlier (the long one) so you won't be paying any attention to how much anything costs yet, this is about finding out what is perfect for you. Have you read it?

If you have then it's time to get started laying on mattresses.

Phoenix

I believe that I'm going to go to the OMF this saturday and flop around on a few mattresses. I sure hope I like their 12" as Akron may as well be the other side of the world for me. Thank you for all of your help! I really do appreciate it :)

Recent Posts