So many options! My head is spinning! Help please...
Oct 18, 2010 9:48 PM
I've spent countless hours on the internet looking for "THE" mattress. My problem is durability.

I sleep with my boyfriend, and a 70lb labrador in the same bed.....don't laugh now....it's a twin. Let's just say we don't roll around much, lol.

I must use this size bed as it is all that the space in my room will allow, what with my cracker box for a house and all.

So, I'm in the market for a new bed. Thus being said, I want one that won't poop out on us in a matter of days/weeks/months. I slept in a tempurpedic at a hotel a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, however I seem to see very few good reviews about the memory foam variety mattress. I'd like something that can be comfortably soft yet stand up to the nightly abuse of all three of us sleeping in it.

There are sooooo many options that I simply do not know where to begin. What one person says is great on one site, another hates on another site. I simply want to know what would best suit our needs and last for at least a few years. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (with the exception of kick the dog off or get a bigger bed) both not an option, sorry.

I'm all ears. I may not know the terminology but I'm more than willing to take in a few good suggestions :)

Re: So many options! My head is spinning! Help please...
Reply #1 Oct 18, 2010 9:52 PM
I know you said not to but I just can't help it .....

I'm laughing so hard I can't type any more.

Too many pictures in my mind.

Need to go get a coffee. Will say something when I come back

Phoenix

Reply #2 Oct 18, 2010 9:55 PM
Phoenix wrote:

I know you said not to but I just can't help it .....

I'm laughing so hard I can't type any more.

Too many pictures in my mind.

Need to go get a coffee. Will say something when I come back

Phoenix

ok, ok..it is a funny picture now that I think about it...making it worse is I'm stuck in the middle with both snoring in my ears. The things people endure for the ones they love...

Reply #3 Oct 18, 2010 10:23 PM
OK ... I'm back.

You clearly need something durable.

Two most durable materials for a mattress core anyway are latex and a (really really really strong) innerspring.

What is your budget?

The only good news is that a twin is a lot cheaper than a bigger size.

I hope you don't get any more pets.

Phoenix

Reply #4 Oct 18, 2010 11:17 PM
I guess my budget is whatever it needs to be.

You can't perform well at work to make the money to pay it off if you can't sleep well.

I would prefer to stay under $1000 as (I think) that's kind of high for a twin bed. I suppose I need to hear the options from an honest person instead of a mattress-pusher before I decide how much I'm willing to part with.

I guess years of uneducated purchases have made me hesitant and more of a look and research before you leap individual. 

sooo, I'm all ears :)

P.S. when you said "pet" you weren't referring to the boyfriend were you? LOL

Reply #5 Oct 18, 2010 11:40 PM
Staying under $1000 for a twin should be no problem.

OK a few more questions.

I really hate to ask this but ..... how important is motion transfer?

I know how big the dog is ... how about the two of you (rough height weight)?

Do you and your boyfriend tend to sleep on your back, side, stomach, ... or any way you can?

Do you have any issues ..... oops, I mean back pain or pressure issues?

Are you really really really sure a full size wouldn't fit? Did you know that 2 people on a full size have less room (width wise) than a baby does in a crib? Wont even talk about the room in a twin.

Phoenix

PS: if you acquire another boyfriend and he joins you ..... I'm gonna give up right now

Reply #6 Oct 18, 2010 11:54 PM
Oh and one last question

What kind of mattress are you sleeping on right now (brand and model) and how did you feel about it before the poor thing got gang tackled and self destructed?

Phoenix

Reply #7 Oct 19, 2010 12:05 AM
Phoenix wrote:

Staying under $1000 for a twin should be no problem.

OK a few more questions.

I really hate to ask this but ..... how important is motion transfer?

I know how big the dog is ... how about the two of you (rough height weight)?

Do you and your boyfriend tend to sleep on your back, side, stomach, ... or any way you can?

Do you have any issues ..... oops, I mean back pain or pressure issues?

Are you really really really sure a full size wouldn't fit? Did you know that 2 people on a full size have less room (width wise) than a baby does in a crib? Wont even talk about the room in a twin.

Phoenix

PS: if you acquire another boyfriend and he joins you ..... I'm gonna give up right now

oh goodness, that made me laugh hard :) No, one is more than enough!

Motion transfer, eh...I could go either way. It'd be nice not to have it but if I can feel someone moving around (from 3" away) I definitely won't die.

The two of us? Im short and muscular at 5'5" and 165lbs (eek, I swear its from figure skating and baseball) and he's 5'9" and 135lbs.

I don't roll...I spent 6 years sleeping on a couch so I've learned to sleep like the dead. Mostly we sleep on our backs or sides. Personally I sleep on my back because I have a spring that digs into my hip when I lay on my side. That would be my pressure point, hip pressure and lack of lower back support... Now, as for issues that I have?...well that's a whole horse of a different color :D

And him....well...he could sleep on a bag of gravel and swear it's comfy. He does have scoliosis and his back support is one of my concerns, even if it's not one of his.

I measured with a tape. A full would leave me with approximately 9-10" to enter and exit my room, lol. So sadly, twin it must be.

I know people talk about not liking being touched by a person when they sleep "too cramped, can't move anywhere without them being there, etc..." but honestly we don't have that problem. My biggest issue is..well..a mattress that won't break down (without me sleeping on a sheet of plywood)

Right now I'm on (some brand the label wore off of) pillowtop. It was comfy at first but 3-4 years later I'm dying. We can't flip it, only rotate it, and that only temporarily relieves the issue.

Trust me, I would LOVE to have a bigger mattress! It's impossible in my circumstance though. That plus my web developer boyfriend sees the middle of my floor as a fit place for an "office"... Yeah, I've almost killed myself many o-times trying to do the dance through the room around his....stuff.

Reply #8 Oct 19, 2010 12:08 AM
Phoenix wrote:

Oh and one last question

What kind of mattress are you sleeping on right now (brand and model) and how did you feel about it before the poor thing got gang tackled and self destructed?

Phoenix

Ah ha! Found a ....somewhat label. It was..er...is....a sealy posture premier.

Reply #9 Oct 19, 2010 12:38 AM
OK, the way I see it you have several choices.

First of all, for a mattress core (the part on the bottom that supports you)

you could choose either Latex ... fairly firm because of the weight it will be carrying

or you could choose a good innerspring with thick springs (I wouldn't go to anything above 13 point something guage)

Next I would strongly suggest that the sides of the mattress be re-inforced. This means either stronger springs along the edge or some type of strong foam along the edges. The reason for this is that it will prevent the edges of the mattress from compressing and will give you more useable room

Next the comfort layers middle to top

I would absolutely avoid memory foam in your circumstances. There is no doubt in my mind that it wouldn't last and you also would not have the freedom of (what little) movement you would otherwise have. Polyfoam in the comfort layers will almost certainly break down in your circumstances. That leaves you with a choice between natural stuffing materials (cotton wool horsehair and things like that) or Latex foam.

Given your circumstances, I would almost certainly choose latex. Part of the reason for this among others is that latex is less likely to harbor stuff that might otherwise choose to live in your mattress. You already have enough creatures living there.

Finally the very top of the mattress

I would certainly avoid a pillowtop but it seems you may want some plushness so I would suggest a luxury firm or a plush (on a scale from 1 to 5 of "plushness" either a 2 or 3) with quilting. Probably wool in the quilting (because it breathes well and is a lot better than polyfoam) but there are other choices here as well depending on the feel you like.

It would also be important to know how involved you and your boyfriend (and of course your dog) want to be in this. There are some options where you can construct your own bed but they take a little bit of knowledge about what you like and need before you go there .... and a willingness to experiment a bit if necessary.

You can go in a different direction and buy a mattress from a store that you can lie on to make sure it works before you buy it. This will probably cost you more than buying from a "custom bed maker"

Or you can go to a store and experiment a bit to get a sense of what you like and need and then either order it from the store, order it online, or use the knowledge you have gained to make your own.

Read this outline (warning it's long) and forget about anything there except latex or innerspring cores and latex or natural padding in the comfort layers. Some of the choices it talks about are already made for you because of your circumstances.

When you've read it, you are ready to start flopping, laying, and rolling around on some beds.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 19, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #10 Oct 19, 2010 12:55 AM
You are what some people might call a "special needs case".

It's worth the time it will take to do this right.

Don't rush, ask questions whenever you need to, and take some notes along the way so you don't forget the things and the mattresses you want to remember.

Phoenix

Recent Posts