Sick from natural latex foam bed
Jun 17, 2011 8:36 PM
Since there have been other threads about allergies to latex, I'll get right to the point.  I've tested nonreactive to latex in allergy panels, and never had any problems in any of the stores when I was shopping, such as Savvy Rest.  So when it came time to buy, we bought a non-returnable 100% natural rubber latex foam bed at the nearest dealer -- a store about 2 hours away.  It has an organic cotton and wool cover, and was rather pricey, but certainly competitive with internet prices for similar products.  I rate it high for comfort.

However, as soon as the bed came into the house in late October I started getting sick.  By early November, I got a cold/sinus infection that lasted nearly 2 months.  My doctor thought the problem could be mold, and after checking that out thoroughly with numerous medical expenses, I gave away porous possessions, threw out papers and books, etc. and started to improve.  But every morning I awakened with a sinus headache and congestion.  I wasn't willing to throw out the bed, as my house had never had a major mold problem (just a few spots in the basement) and the bed was new.  So we did the following experiment.  

After determining that I could sleep without symptoms on some 1970's  foam cushions on the kitchen floor, last night we took the latex pads out of the cover and put them on the kitchen floor underneath a clean cotton sleep.  I woke up significantly worse than I've ever been.  

My husband, who is not chemically sensitive, said that the latex foam had a strong odor when he took it out on the porch to air it in the sun.  

So, if natrual rubber latex is supposed to be

• hypoallergenic
  • free of outgassing
  • and this bed is now nearly 8 months old

what am I reacting to? 

Any way I could find out whether it is some kind of preservative or chemical used in the processing, or some contaminant from storage in the warehouse?

Just in case I developed a latex allergy from continuous exposure for the last 8 months, I was retested today with RAST for IgG and IgM reactions to latex.

Meanwhile, is there any market for a very clean, slightly used natural rubber latex bed and if so, how would I find it?  Or do you think I could make a case for returning the bed?

JanisB

Re: Sick from natural latex foam bed
Reply #3 Jun 18, 2011 1:31 AM
It sounds like you may well have developed a latex allergy. Your message sounds like you are doing your research and finding out about that. In case you're looking for more information, you might check out this site which has a lot of information.

http://www.latexallergyresources.org/resourcemanual/section4/latex_allergy_everyone.cfm

If I were you, I would explain the situation to the store and to the manufacturer and see whether either one of them will take it back. You didn't mention which brand you bought, but with the description you've given, I'd assume they are selling it as a "healthy" brand of bed. This could be addressed under a theory of implied warranty if the store or manufacturer does not make an express warranty that the product is suited for the purpose for which it was sold. The manufacturer in particular may have insurance coverage to cover liability claims for triggering latex allergies, or they should if they don't. If neither company is willing to work with you to resolve this problem, then you could probably find an attorney willing to help you get the purchase money back and the costs of having the mattress removed from your environment. This could be handled in small claims court if you get an attorney experienced with latex allergy claims, or possibly resolved through an out-of-court settlement with the manufacturer and/or the store.

Good luck with it. It is important for people to learn about these hidden risks of latex and other substances that can indeed pose serious health problems for some individuals. Thank you for sharing your experience with this forum.

Reply #4 Jun 18, 2011 1:51 PM
I think you have to see how these tests come out....latex allergies are not fully understood but usually if it is natural latex allergy your symptoms would be far more severe than a sinus infection and headache but I of course don't want to say for sure.  If it is the mattress I would hope they would take it back but after 8 months they might be a little suspicous that it is not a latex allergy...hence why I say you gotta be prepared with the test results.
Reply #5 Jun 18, 2011 10:58 PM
contractor wrote:

The latex is not stable and its component chemicals are toxic.  Old latex smells very bad and should be discarded.  If you can get any refund from the seller you will be blessed.  They are most often chemically unknowledgeable.  A cotton or wool containing mattress is better for your health.   Life is too short to waste on toxic products.   Just because some can tollerate a toxin does not it safe for others.  Sorry you were lied to.

This is very interesting given all the online hype about the safety of natural rubber latex, and the stores promoting them as 'free of offgassing' 'safe and healthy' etc.  Contractor, can you point me in the direction of more information on the lack of stability of natural latex rubber and the toxicity of its chemical components?  

Thanks.  JanisB

Reply #6 Jun 18, 2011 11:18 PM
weewillywinky wrote:

It sounds like you may well have developed a latex allergy. Your message sounds like you are doing your research and finding out about that. In case you're looking for more information, you might check out this site which has a lot of information.

http://www.latexallergyresources.org/resourcemanual/section4/latex_allergy_everyone.cfm

If I were you, I would explain the situation to the store and to the manufacturer and see whether either one of them will take it back. You didn't mention which brand you bought, but with the description you've given, I'd assume they are selling it as a "healthy" brand of bed. This could be addressed under a theory of implied warranty if the store or manufacturer does not make an express warranty that the product is suited for the purpose for which it was sold. The manufacturer in particular may have insurance coverage to cover liability claims for triggering latex allergies, or they should if they don't. If neither company is willing to work with you to resolve this problem, then you could probably find an attorney willing to help you get the purchase money back and the costs of having the mattress removed from your environment. This could be handled in small claims court if you get an attorney experienced with latex allergy claims, or possibly resolved through an out-of-court settlement with the manufacturer and/or the store.

Good luck with it. It is important for people to learn about these hidden risks of latex and other substances that can indeed pose serious health problems for some individuals. Thank you for sharing your experience with this forum.

Good resource.  Thanks.  They point out that people with Type IV sensitivity reactions -- which it probably what I have -- are often sensitive to a long list of chemicals used in the processing of latex.  The estimate on that site was 7-14% of the population!  If this is indeed the case, then companies should not promote 100% natural rubber latex as a product that is safe for the environment, free of offgassing, and healthy for people.

I got the bed from designsleep.com, located about 2 hours from me.

JanisB

Reply #7 Jun 18, 2011 11:25 PM
I just wanted to add that I found out on another site that my problem is most likely from outgassing.   Here is what a man wrote to owns a business that helps people with clean indoor air and healthy habitats:

" Janis,

It seems that the "expanded foam" mattresses, latex or 
otherwise, has caught on based on a larger number of 
companies selling them. 

I've consulted with a few clients and we have found that 
sometimes - not always, but often - the various pieces which 
make up the complete unit (they are not one-piece) are 
manufactured in different companies in different countries then 
some of the parts (not all) "certified" in yet a different country with 
little traceable between them. 

The confusion between retailer, wholesaler, importer, exporter, 
and manufacturer is even more confusing making any sort of 
information or remedy difficult if not impossible.

Sometimes the "new" mattress is composed of pieces from 
product returned because of owner reactivity. We found reports 
of required pesticide treatment before shipping to the US, little 
environmental control during shipment (especially on boats), and 
even admissions of spilling pesticides directly onto the foam 
rubber and other components.

These incidents seem to be very rare, but when they occur are 
catastrophic. The effects reported seem to be a combination of 
chemical and physical properties which are especially tenacious, 
usually driving people from their homes and unable to return or 
tolerate contents. "

This same person suggested that myessentia.com had a safe mattress.  Anyone have experience with them?

Reply #8 Jun 19, 2011 1:11 AM
Hi Janis - now I'm really getting confused. There seems to be no question you're dealing with a chemical sensitivity of some sort with that mattress. But what exaclty? It will be helpful for you to get the allergy test results back, definitely. I did a little more checking around about latex allergies. Most of the sites on latex allergy say it is due to proteins in the latex (which some say they use processes to remove). But other sites say that allergy sensitivities are triggered only by synthetic latex. And then other sites say that you should use synthetic latex if you are allergic to latex. It looks to me like there is a lot of confusion out there. It may be that different people have allergic reactions to different things. At any rate, there is no clearcut information out there, or if there is, it's mixed in with a lot of misleading information. I hope you are able to find a good solution.
Reply #9 Jun 19, 2011 11:26 AM
Another thought besides those you, Contractor and others have made - could it possibly be a reaction to the flame retardant used? Latex is highly flammable, and maybe it got doused too heavily, or maybe you are just sensitive to whatever chemical was used. Some of those flame retardants do indeed make some people sick, and it appears most of them are y hazardous to human health. Obviously Congress considered it a greater risk that we all might go up in flames from that occasional housefire than that lying surrounded by hazardous chemicals night after night might cause a health risk. Or then again, maybe they got lobbied by the ehemicals manufacturers. That makes more sense, and knowing how things go, I bet that played a part.

That is one reason I want to move towards wool. The last mattress I bought, back in the age of dinosaurs, was before the new frlame retardant laws were passed. Yeah, those were the good old days, when innerspring mattresses lasted, they weren't wrapped in loads of foam that breaks down in a year or two, and they weren't enveloped in toxic chemicals.

Anyway, I suggest you might want to check with the seller as to what flame retardant was used, if you don't know, if you aren't able to pinpoint thte source of your irritation, so that hopefully you can avoid it in any future purchase.

I too would be interested in more from Contractor about what he is referring to.

We have to keep our eyes open these days, do we not?

The real kicker with bad mattresses is how difficult it is to find out if they will work for you, how hard it is to return or replace them, how huge they are to move and how hard they are hard to dispose of, plus the significant expense involved.

That's why this forum is really making me think we need a consumer protection law that REQUIRES mattress manufacturers to be much more explicit about EXACTLY what is used in their mattresses, and how they are constructed.

This message was modified Jun 30, 2011 by a moderator
Reply #10 Jun 19, 2011 1:15 PM
JanisB wrote:

I just wanted to add that I found out on another site that my problem is most likely from outgassing.   Here is what a man wrote to owns a business that helps people with clean indoor air and healthy habitats:

" Janis,

It seems that the "expanded foam" mattresses, latex or 
otherwise, has caught on based on a larger number of 
companies selling them. 

I've consulted with a few clients and we have found that 
sometimes - not always, but often - the various pieces which 
make up the complete unit (they are not one-piece) are 
manufactured in different companies in different countries then 
some of the parts (not all) "certified" in yet a different country with 
little traceable between them. 

The confusion between retailer, wholesaler, importer, exporter, 
and manufacturer is even more confusing making any sort of 
information or remedy difficult if not impossible.

Sometimes the "new" mattress is composed of pieces from 
product returned because of owner reactivity. We found reports 
of required pesticide treatment before shipping to the US, little 
environmental control during shipment (especially on boats), and 
even admissions of spilling pesticides directly onto the foam 
rubber and other components.

These incidents seem to be very rare, but when they occur are 
catastrophic. The effects reported seem to be a combination of 
chemical and physical properties which are especially tenacious, 
usually driving people from their homes and unable to return or 
tolerate contents. "

This same person suggested that myessentia.com had a safe mattress.  Anyone have experience with them?

Essentia makes a latex based mattress as well...if someone is saying that latex is toxic and then recommends a latex bed (that involves more ingredients and complex processing than other companies) it seems fishy.  If this is a chemical reaction to the latex and not allergy based then you probably want to sleep on an all wool mattress or an organic innerspring mattress without foam of any kind.  I am very curious about how your latex allergy tests come out...I have never heard of someone buying a natural latex mattress and having a chemical issue...allergy yes.  You mentioned Savvy Rest but you did not specifically mention that you purchased a Savvy Rest...which brand of mattress did you purchase?

Edit: Sorry I did not see before that you mentioned designsleep.com as the company you purchased from.  

This message was modified Jun 19, 2011 by budgy
Reply #11 Jun 19, 2011 1:18 PM
JanisB wrote:

Good resource.  Thanks.  They point out that people with Type IV sensitivity reactions -- which it probably what I have -- are often sensitive to a long list of chemicals used in the processing of latex.  The estimate on that site was 7-14% of the population!  If this is indeed the case, then companies should not promote 100% natural rubber latex as a product that is safe for the environment, free of offgassing, and healthy for people.

I got the bed from designsleep.com, located about 2 hours from me.

JanisB

This link is specifically talking about the chemicals used in processing latex gloves, not natural latex foam rubber (although there are some similarities), but the % of people that potentially can be affected should be a whole order of magnitude lower.  I would reference test results from companies like Eco Institut as proof enough that there are high quality natural foam rubbers that do not offgas.  

Reply #12 Jun 19, 2011 2:01 PM
budgy wrote:

This link is specifically talking about the chemicals used in processing latex gloves, not natural latex foam rubber (although there are some similarities), but the % of people that potentially can be affected should be a whole order of magnitude lower.  I would reference test results from companies like Eco Institut as proof enough that there are high quality natural foam rubbers that do not offgas.  

Great to hear from you, Budgy, on this point! Could you please explain a little more fully for us novices why you think the affected percentage of people would be a whole order of magnitude lower with latex mattresses than latex gloves?

Thanks!

Recent Posts